Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

BlueSkittles
06.06.2012 , 02:52 PM | #341
Quote: Originally Posted by psi_overtake View Post
You might wanna calm down a little before throwing out accusations with no evidence. If they let you transfer to whatever you want, that server is going to have too high of a pop and you'll have to wait half an hour just to log in. You don't want that.
As I said in my post, I don't mind waiting a half hour as long as I know that server has my characters that I've put so much time into and I can get a decent Warzone/Flashpoint queue (and I'll just play Diablo while I wait). By trying to force us to go to some random server, they are just going to eventually run into the same problem.

draconiangem
06.06.2012 , 02:52 PM | #342
Please I do hope that the people on the same server will be transferred to the same condensed server and not potentially get split up. My husband and I play together and will be utterly upset if our characters get shut off from one another. Please be more specific on the details of these re-populations! I don't want to miss something I need to do and be screwed.

bawker
06.06.2012 , 02:53 PM | #343
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Right now, we're just talking about the free character transfers - like it mentions in the blog, more options may become available in the future, but that's all we've said as of now.
Very well.

I'll wait a few more months and let my Firaxan Shark characters collect dust . . .hopefully it won't cost too much, but at least you've more or less confirmed what I figured.

I guess I'll see if it's worth the price once it's announced.

Thanks for your response . . .I can't say I'm overjoyed, but I suppose we're at least on our way with getting people to the servers they want to end up on.

AllisonBerryman
06.06.2012 , 02:54 PM | #344 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by bawker View Post
The metrics have been there to study for a while . . .since we have no choice of where we're going to go, BioWare obviously has at least some idea of what pairs are where.
We haven't finalized the initial list of origin and destination servers. We know everyone is eager to see them, and we will provide them when we're able - we don't want to provide a list and then have to change it.

Kindara
06.06.2012 , 02:55 PM | #345
For the love of god if i can't get off the RP server I'm on and onto a regular PVE server I'll scream. Friends that no longer play or plan to play got us onto the RP server and now I feel stuck...no one ever wants to do anything content wise.

I really hope they DO give us some options to change server types otherwise this is complete ******** and when my time is up in July I'm out. I've already stopped logging in to my characters for the past 3 weeks.

Sulvan
06.06.2012 , 02:55 PM | #346
We all need a plan on where to go or servers will be just as bad as they are now.

From what the dev has posted i think that they are going to let us transfer off any server and go to any light server i think.

Dreadie
06.06.2012 , 02:56 PM | #347
Call it server "mergers", or server "consolidations", but don't call it transfers unless you actually have the ability to pick and choose which server a particular toon can move from and to.

And let me guess, un-subbed players must re-sub in order to take part in this "free" "transfer", right?

Like the rest of this game, this "transfer" is on rails...

If I wanted to be continually bombarded with the illusion of choice, I'd spend my free time in politics.
Dreadie Halostellam Guardian
Alliance Strike Team
Port Nowhere

Kindara
06.06.2012 , 02:56 PM | #348
Quote: Originally Posted by Sulvan View Post
We all need a plan on where to go or servers will be just as bad as they are now.

From what the dev has posted i think that they are going to let us transfer off any server and go to any light server i think.
That would be a terrible bad idea they're likely to have light servers moving to standard servers.

AllisonBerryman
06.06.2012 , 02:57 PM | #349 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Sulvan View Post
This is not correct. We'll be providing a list of origin servers and destination servers. Each origin server will have one destination server, and players can elect to transfer their characters from the origin server to the destination. Our goal is to have destination servers with a much higher active player population, so we'll be monitoring the process and adding new origin and destination pairs as necessary to reach that goal.

thewatcheruatu
06.06.2012 , 02:57 PM | #350
Quote: Originally Posted by Walking-Carpet View Post
Or what about active duty military personnel? My step-son bought the game, reserved his character names, and was then sent to Afghanistan. He has every intention of playing when he gets back. When he comes back at the end of the year and subscribes, is it really fair that some guy who recently transferred to his server was able to take his character names?
I don't know...for every one active duty military personnel who did this, there are going to be 30 guys who bought the game early, hated it, and will never, ever come back to it. I understand it kind of sucks for the one guy out of 30 who does want to come back, but at the same time, I'd rather see name priority go to somebody who is actively using a name and has been using it for a period of time.

If your step-son created a character on December 15 and played for a month and somebody else created a character on January 15, but has been actively logging in with that character every day since and is level 50 with legacy level 25, I'm going to say that person deserves to have it a little more than your step-son (who for all we know may have decided he's no longer interested by the time he gets back). Maybe that sounds a little crappy.
Hapan Delegation