Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Namesis
06.06.2012 , 02:42 PM | #321
They are telling you where you can go (1 destination server) and those that rolled on other servers to play content are sol or have to pay to move to join the toons. Plain and simple. Your legacy/character names ect are lost no matter the seniority of your account.

Just so bad and there are so many questions left unanswered. I truly hope they learn from this.

TirGavin
06.06.2012 , 02:44 PM | #322
Can't wait for fully populated servers!

Wanchope
06.06.2012 , 02:44 PM | #323
I'm the GM for my guild and I am not too worried about the transferring process. Frankly, given the dwindling pop on my server I'm happy to even get this. Is it perfect? No, its not.. But we don't live in a perfect world and I don't expect perfection. I understand others feel differently and think Bioware is just a huge failure on every level possible.... I just disagree and think people need to either lower their expectations, or try running a business on their own and see if they can do better.

AllisonBerryman
06.06.2012 , 02:45 PM | #324 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
OK, I see one big, big problem. Let me quote the article:

"We're sure many of you are interested to learn which servers are eligible for outgoing transfers and which servers are eligible to receive transfers. However, because the process will be gradual, we cannot provide that information in advance. Depending on the number of characters transferred, the destination and origin servers eligible for transfer may be altered during the process. We don't want to promise a destination in case it may change."

What I interpret this to mean, is there's no guarantee my guildmates will end up transfered to the same server as me (I'm the GM of a guild on Kinrath Spider)

I'd love to get clarification on this
It looks like this line is causing a little bit of confusion. Hopefully I can help clear that up! What we're saying here is that we're unable to provide the origins and destinations in advance because those lists may change internally as we watch the response to transfers. We'll be monitoring populations and how many players are transferring, which will inform our decisions about further origin and destination servers. We won't be changing the destination on you once it's announced, we just don't want to announce a pair too early.

JeramieCrowe
06.06.2012 , 02:46 PM | #325
Boy, you people must be quite fit with all the exercise you get from jumping to conclusions, flying off the handle, running down the devs, flogging dead horses, knifing fellow posters in the back, dodging player responsibilities, and pushing your luck.

No, but seriously, the naming conflicts would be less painful if BioWare would just separate surnames from Legacy name and make them on a per-character basis.
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

Walking-Carpet
06.06.2012 , 02:46 PM | #326
Quote: Originally Posted by baturcotte View Post
Question on character renames on transferred player...will any sort of prioritization be used to determine which character requires a rename? Or is the mere existence of a name on a server sufficient to force a rename for the incoming character?

Example: I have Luke, of the Skywalker legacy on server A, which is a source server. I've been playing him since Early Access, have him at level 50, etc. On server B, the designated destination server, there is also already a character named Luke, but the person who made him bought the game, played their free month, and left, never having subscribed...does he get to keep the name just because he was on the server first, or do I, as a loyal customer, get to keep the name of a character I've played, and he gets flagged for a rename if he ever comes back to the game?
I appreciate your concerns, but here's another way to view the issue of character name priority.

Many people bought the game at launch, selected their character names, but then found they were dissatisfied with the state of the game, and temporarily quit with the intention of re-subbing later when the game has matured. I've done this myself in at least two MMOs. If I had the foresight to buy the game on Day 1 in order to reserve my character names (and, I was willing to pay the premium price for pre-ordering or buying the game on Day 1), why should some player transferring from another server be able to steal my character names? That would make me mad enough NOT to resubscribe to the game.

Or what about active duty military personnel? My step-son bought the game, reserved his character names, and was then sent to Afghanistan. He has every intention of playing when he gets back. When he comes back at the end of the year and subscribes, is it really fair that some guy who recently transferred to his server was able to take his character names?

bawker
06.06.2012 , 02:46 PM | #327
When do we get to pick where we want to transfer, Allison?

How much will it inevitably cost?

psi_overtake
06.06.2012 , 02:47 PM | #328
Quote: Originally Posted by BlueSkittles View Post
Since you deleted some of my old posts for no *********** good reason, here was the jist of my arguments:

Before server transfers:
200 dead servers.
2 semi-full servers.

After server transfers:
180 completely dead servers.
20 mostly dead servers.
2 semi-full servers.

Just let us transfer to whatever *********** server we want to, for free, and yes there will be much QQ-ing about queue times to actually get into those severs, but that kind of QQ-ing is GOOD QQ-ing. Then I will stop my whining about cross-server functionality (sorry I lied earlier about never talking about cross-server again but that post got deleted so whatever).
You might wanna calm down a little before throwing out accusations with no evidence. If they let you transfer to whatever you want, that server is going to have too high of a pop and you'll have to wait half an hour just to log in. You don't want that.
PsiSniper Sniper & PsiOvertake Sorcerer (Updated July 5, 2012)
Ascend / Consumed / Art of War
The Brony Legacy
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Let's show them how Imperial Intelligence handles things! Pa-Chow!

Valtrise
06.06.2012 , 02:49 PM | #329
I feel that the free transfer server should be further extended at a latter date to give players the opportunity to get all their characters on one server without having to pay a fee up to at least 3 characters to offset not only the disproportion of time investment loss, but also for new features that require characters from both factions such as the HK companion.

AllisonBerryman
06.06.2012 , 02:49 PM | #330 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by bawker View Post
When do we get to pick where we want to transfer, Allison?

How much will it inevitably cost?
Right now, we're just talking about the free character transfers - like it mentions in the blog, more options may become available in the future, but that's all we've said as of now.