Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

StefanInter
06.06.2012 , 02:27 PM | #281
Only thing I am unhappy about is not being able to transfer as a guild.
SWTOR

CompassRose
06.06.2012 , 02:27 PM | #282
Quote: Originally Posted by tloops View Post
And so it begins...ive been warning people about this for months now....maybee you shouldnt have listened to all the people who thought the fix for the problem was to re-roll....i await the 100s of posts from people crying that they cant bring all thier toons to the server of thier choosing.
When I rerolled it DID fix the game for me. I was also under no illusions about server transfers. Talk of them didn't exist when I rerolled for the 2nd time.

I was fully prepared to leave all that work behind when I rerolled. Since I arrived on my current server I find myself in better shape that I ever was on my original server, and that's due in part to the high level of population.

I don't wait for PvP queues.
I have access to all heroic missions on ALL planets because LFG requests fill within a minute or two.
Being a healer also gives me the perk of getting picked up for raids by a variety of the guilds that exist on the server.

Life is good, but it could be better.

Do I have to level up another scoundrel to 50, or can I just import him from my old server?

It's really what we're talking about here. Not having to repeat work and effort already accomplished. Nobody wants to leave that work behind when it can be consolidated.

I completely agree, getting players off ghost town servers with no work started elsewhere is really a good, first step.

But if you want to make the majority of the population happy, some thought has to be put in for players that thought rerolling was better than unsubbing. If they are excluded from this whole process, or made to pay....then it really sounds something like this:

'We thank you for remaining loyal to Star Wars: The Old Republic. We understand that consistent, paying customers like yourselves are what keep us in business. As a show of thanks, we demmand you give us more money for the privledge of moving your hard work into a single, central location. We understand that this situation was brought about in part because of our mismanagment and poor implementation, but since we have a obligation to our stock holders we ask that you bear the burden of cost in our restructuring.'
Compass Rose --'Crowd Control'

Spreadsheet Guide to level your crew skill to 400

tloops
06.06.2012 , 02:27 PM | #283
Quote: Originally Posted by thewatcheruatu View Post
*shrug* That's not the way they ever handled mergers in Age of Conan--and they did a lot of mergers. If you had an active account, your character names took priority over a younger character on the server into which you were merging, or a character on an account that hadn't been active in a while. I'm not saying BioWare should do the same thing with server transfers, but at the same time...they kind of should.
well if they did it that way,its the only one ive heard of...generally if your moving to a new server, you have to change...not the guy already there.
TOR...the best single player game on the market

WIM-
06.06.2012 , 02:28 PM | #284
Still restricting people from playing with their friends and consolidating characters to one server.

Y'all are kinda missing the point of a transfer service.
W i m.. S o l o

V I I I - The Fatman(RIP)

Dansu
06.06.2012 , 02:28 PM | #285
Joveth we get how it is going to work, we're just looking for info on what the first 2-3 servers are going to be effected are. Even if you guys only know 1 server right now that is something for those people to start planing with.

Lethemback
06.06.2012 , 02:29 PM | #286
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
[...] Therefore, all guild members on the origin server will be eligible to transfer to the same destination server, ensuring that the guild has the opportunity to stay together. [...]

[...] Please note that we will not be dividing the population of an origin server onto multiple destination servers for this free character transfer process.

We hope that this clarifies any confusion.
Thanks for the clarification, Joveth, but what about our concerns regarding guild/character/legacy names? I know that we're not "forced" to transfer, but you'll agree that we want to be able to play with more people, so it could be considered that we can really be forced to do so if we want to keep playing. Knowing this, it's not good if you end losing any of your names because of a random policy even after having been here since the first day.

Cheers.
There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no death, there is the Force. There is LOVE to defeat the Dark Side.

Jadescythe
06.06.2012 , 02:30 PM | #287
I'm actually happy to hear the there won't be a choice in server transfer. This way, the entire community of a server will be moving to another one, not being fractured to multiple locations.

It will:
1) Ensure that all guild members will move to the same location (although not the most ideal way to transfer a guild)
2) Ensure that guilds with rivalries will be moving to the same server
3) Ensure the friends you've made in game will be on the same server

I just hope that the 60 active people on my server and I get the chance to move
The Original Aether Legacy
Erza-Jugg / Saberscythe-Mara / Atropo-Sorc
Patharos-Guardian / Kadinne-Vanguard / Aquilo-Sage
Prophecy of the Five

tloops
06.06.2012 , 02:30 PM | #288
Quote: Originally Posted by StefanInter View Post
Only thing I am unhappy about is not being able to transfer as a guild.
read the dev post above... you can all move to the same server and reform.
TOR...the best single player game on the market

chrisftw
06.06.2012 , 02:30 PM | #289
Finally for the love of all that is star wars. finally.

now i can play more. and may just end up resubbing because the brick wall you hit when you can't get groups together is pretty jarring.
Tell me more Brotholomew.

thewatcheruatu
06.06.2012 , 02:30 PM | #290
Quote: Originally Posted by tloops View Post
well if they did it that way,its the only one ive heard of...generally if your moving to a new server, you have to change...not the guy already there.
Well, like I said, they only did it with mergers, since you didn't have a choice about it. Actually, I can't remember how they handled it with transfers, but I think if the name you had was being held by somebody else on an account that hadn't been active in a very long time (say 6 months), your character name would take priority. Could be wrong on that, though.

Honestly, that's the only thing that makes sense to me. Screw the player who hasn't played in a long time and will probably never come back. Why does he get to keep an awesome name?
Hapan Delegation