Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

cipher_nemo
06.06.2012 , 02:20 PM | #271
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
All I care about is the people.
I just want the people in my guild now, and have been in recent history, to be able to rejoin us on our new 'active' population server. Hopefully, this isn't too much to ask.
QFT and having your priorities correct.

Now, Bioware, why can't you put the "people" first like our guilds are trying to do, and ensure entire guilds stay together?

islander, I read your guild description and comments elsewhere, and understand where your guild is coming from. We share some similarities as well.

My guild (two, one Republic, one Empire) are part of a gaming community that has been around since 2008. Four years and counting of friends sticking together to weather one MMO or one online game to the next. Sometimes we have a focus (ie: right now TOR), and sometimes we're in limbo. But we've always stayed together and have enjoyed the friendship surrounding whatever we choose to play next. For us, the people are our priority, before hte game.

So like you, we're worried about this too. Our gaming community has a different but similar name compared to our guilds. But keeping everyone together is priority number one. With that in mind, what happens when we have members who find out they'll have to change their own legacy/character names if we transfer to another server? If they care about the naming of their legacy or their characters, will they be forced to make a choice between the guild and that? After all, we're already planning to play Mechwarrior Online together, so it's not like we put TOR above our community. And there's always other MMOs in the future, such as Titan.

I must ask Bioware, do they really care about the people and our social connections? If they did, they wouldn't split up guilds or even risk that as a possible outcome.

seanisawake
06.06.2012 , 02:21 PM | #272
So do we get another free week?
Jedi Sentinel -
Been a long year but the best is yet to come.

jgelling
06.06.2012 , 02:21 PM | #273
I can't imagine this will work well at all. People want to play on servers like The Fatman and Jedi Covenant - they don't want to take a chance on transferring from 20 dead servers to 1 brand new server and asked to somehow form a viable community whole cloth, with all existing guilds destroyed in the process, or sprinkled across mid-pop servers separated from existing friends.

I can't even imagine how I'd feel if I was on some dead server and you gave me one or two options to transfer to what is, as of now, an equally dead server. And if it doesn't work out well, then you're going to charge me to move to a real server? Get ready for the screeds and even more alienated fans I'd say.

JovethGonzalez
06.06.2012 , 02:22 PM | #274 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Keypek View Post
This is a good thing definitely. Only problem I foresee is that a guild of people who want to stay together happens to be on one of the origin servers. They allow us to move to a destination server for a day... two days... a week... whatever their timeframe is. But then that opportunity is limited in time and/or the destination server changes suddenly without warning and we still have half of our guild trying to transfer off the origin server or we have a couple integral members on vacation for the week and completely miss being able to transfer. Suddenly we either have to choose to keep the whole guild on a suddenly dead server or screw over a chunk of our guild members and leave without warning to them.

Like I said this transfer is definitely a very good thing and happy it is sooner then later. But not having some sort of guild transfer function could be problematic.
Many guild leaders have contacted us with their concerns about coordinating their guild members in preparation for the free character transfer service and I wanted to take some time to explain how this process will work.

In order to ensure an optimal playing experience for every server, we’ll be offering direct transfers from one origin server to a pre-selected destination server. This means that the destination server will already be selected for the origin server. As mentioned in our blog post, all server types and languages will be respected. You will not find your PvE characters transferred to a PvP server, or vice versa.

Therefore, all guild members on the origin server will be eligible to transfer to the same destination server, ensuring that the guild has the opportunity to stay together.

As we mentioned in our blog, the character transfer service will be made available gradually, starting with a small number of origin servers and adding more until all servers eligible for transfer are available in the service. We know everyone is excited for the opportunity to transfer their characters, but it is critical that we do this gradually to ensure both a smooth transfer as well as a great player experience on the destination servers.

Eligible servers will be listed as they become available for transfers at www.swtor.com/transfer, which will go live on Tuesday. This is to prevent potential server load issues.

Please note that we will not be dividing the population of an origin server onto multiple destination servers for this free character transfer process.

Additionally, players need not worry about rushing to transfer as free character transfers between selected servers will remain available for as long as it is needed to help balance server populations naturally. Rest assured that if we ever decide to stop this free character transfer service, players will be given plenty of advanced notice.

We hope that this clarifies any confusion.

Drom
06.06.2012 , 02:23 PM | #275
Quote: Originally Posted by Bluesnacks View Post
I'm sorry but not being able to tell us which servers we can transfer to in advance is complete and utter B.S.

Now we're going to have to scramble to get our guild together to get off this desolate rock.
^this. It's complete BS to tell us it's gonna start in a week and not give us any info.
Dromfel, Imperial Agent (Operative lvl 50) | Imperator Mos | Sith Empire | Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU PvP server)

MarshalVaako
06.06.2012 , 02:24 PM | #276
According to the transfer blog when people transfer if the name they have is taken they need to choose a new one.
Fine I can understand that....HOWEVER

There NEEDS to be a tool where you can check each of the servers you can free transfer too to see if your name and legacy name are available.

Its one thing to say if you transfer and someone has your name you lose but its another to make us play Russian roulette.

And no just trying to start a character on that server beforehand wouldn't work because you can't check if your legacy name is available.
COLLECTORS EDITION VIP
Just say NO to.....
(Arenas) (Cross-Server Anything) (MicroTransactions)
(Addons/Mods/Macros) (Switching Advanced Classes)

stendarrs
06.06.2012 , 02:24 PM | #277
Seriously with the names??? I'd almost be willing to change my RL name to get my characters on a populated server. I guess you can't make everyone happy

In other news, Satan called and apparently an ice storm is scheduled to be hitting in his area on or around June 12, more to news to follow.

iamthehoyden
06.06.2012 , 02:24 PM | #278
Ok, I'm cautiously hopeful, although the way this sounds, it's extremely limiting in terms of choice.

Question 1: How much lead time will we have between the announcement of what servers are available for transfers and actual transfers? (Estimate is fine: minutes, hours, days....)

Question 2: How long of a window are we going to have? This is crucial for those of us who have guilds to move. (Again, I'll take a rough estimate, really....hours, days, weeks, months...)

Question 3: When are you going to put in transfers between server types? And will there be free ones if you've already moved once?

Because what's going to happen is my guild will be moving off our dead server, but if we get an option to be on the server we actually want to be with free transfers then we'll need to shift a second time. (We're on a pve and would like to go to Sanctum of the Exalted where some of us have rerolled.)
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

thewatcheruatu
06.06.2012 , 02:25 PM | #279
Quote: Originally Posted by tloops View Post
lol...i think you would be happy that you are able to move to a high pop server...if you had played any other MMO it is done the same way when transfers/mergers happen. why is this a surprise to everyone?
*shrug* That's not the way they ever handled mergers in Age of Conan--and they did a lot of mergers. If you had an active account, your character names took priority over a younger character on the server into which you were merging, or a character on an account that hadn't been active in a while. I'm not saying BioWare should do the same thing with server transfers, but at the same time...they kind of should.
Hapan Delegation

bawker
06.06.2012 , 02:26 PM | #280
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
You will not find your PvE characters transferred to a PvP server, or vice versa.

Joveth,

What about PvE to RP-PvE? Is that an option, since it's more or less in the same "family"?

Thanks,

-b