Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

I am willing to give this a try, but if I lose my legacy name due to biowares mismanagement of the game, it will be the last straw for me. Really seems like a poor job of implementing. Legacy name should go to higher legacy level when you transfer. Being on the server first should not give you priority, it is not like we are moving for the fun of it.

Also, not being able to move guilds as a whole is kind of pathetic. Yes, I know the fanboys will say "you will whine about anything", but if you look at if impartially, it is really kind of sad. Can do it at launch, but not now?

Overall, for as long overdue as this transfer is, it is far from being complete/ideally implemented. That is, to anybody who can think on their own and doesn't just automatically say bioware can do no wrong.

Edited by Boredmuse

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i believe it is saying once servers A,B,and C move to server D...they may have to open up server G to accomadate servers E and F,because D is full. it makes more sense then what you are thinking.

Well you know what?

If you're correct, then I'm happy.

I only want to be re-assured that my guildmates - active and inactive - can at whatever point in the semi-near future free transfer from (in my case) Kinrath Spider to our new home. The fact we have to do it manually is certianly disappointing, but I can get past that personally.

Edited by islander

Hi,

I have a simple question. Will transferring our characters require us to use the game client, or will the service work through our account management on this website?

I ask because I'm going to be traveling and away from my gaming machine during the 12th and about a week after it, so I really hope I will be able to use my travel laptop to manage my character transfers without having to log into the actual game.

(I want to do it ASAP instead of waiting to get home because I want a better chance of keeping my original character names/legacy name.)

Thanks,

~Sten

This is almost the exact opposite of how I was hoping they would do this. It feels kinda crappy to have been here since early access and have to potential to lose my character names because I guessed wrong on which servers would still have reasonable populations at this point. I would rather see them close down a large number of servers, open a few new servers, and allow people to select from the new servers (or transfer to an existing server) based on when they started playing. While not everyone would get to keep all their names, I could handle losing my name to someone who pre-ordered day 1. Losing it to someone who bought the game last week just adds insult to injury of playing on a dead server all these months.

This is almost the exact opposite of how I was hoping they would do this. It feels kinda crappy to have been here since early access and have to potential to lose my character names because I guessed wrong on which servers would still have reasonable populations at this point. I would rather see them close down a large number of servers, open a few new servers, and allow people to select from the new servers (or transfer to an existing server) based on when they started playing. While not everyone would get to keep all their names, I could handle losing my name to someone who pre-ordered day 1. Losing it to someone who bought the game last week just adds insult to injury of playing on a dead server all these months.

I agree.

Cheers.

THIS THIS THIS THIS ^^

This is a perfect example of players like myself that saw not one but MULTIPLE servers go ghost town on us. We've rerolled servers more than once, hoping that the server we chose would have a stable population, only to find ourselves in the exact same situation as before....with nobody to play with.

For those of us lucky enough to have finally found one of the few servers that held onto a healthy population (a.k.a. Fatman, Jedi Covenant, Swiftsure, Jung-Ma, etc....) and have established that server as our new home, what becomes of us?

We play on those heavy pop servers NOW. We have legacy levels that are quickly approaching what we had on our original servers. Moving toons to those servers will not increase server load because we play there NOW.

But since we were pro-active and went through the stuggle to reroll from scratch, we might ultimately get the shaft when it comes to bringing our original toons to our new homes.

And so it begins...ive been warning people about this for months now....maybee you shouldnt have listened to all the people who thought the fix for the problem was to re-roll....i await the 100s of posts from people crying that they cant bring all thier toons to the server of thier choosing.:p

THIS THIS THIS THIS ^^

This is a perfect example of players like myself that saw not one but MULTIPLE servers go ghost town on us. We've rerolled servers more than once, hoping that the server we chose would have a stable population, only to find ourselves in the exact same situation as before....with nobody to play with.

For those of us lucky enough to have finally found one of the few servers that held onto a healthy population (a.k.a. Fatman, Jedi Covenant, Swiftsure, Jung-Ma, etc....) and have established that server as our new home, what becomes of us?

We play on those heavy pop servers NOW. We have legacy levels that are quickly approaching what we had on our original servers. Moving toons to those servers will not increase server load because we play there NOW.

But since we were pro-active and went through the stuggle to reroll from scratch, we might ultimately get the shaft when it comes to bringing our original toons to our new homes.

That leaves the option of LEAVING these high-pop servers to move to a potentially high pop one.

What kind of a public relations nightmare would you have on your hands if by creating new, high population servers you destroy the ones you already have?

I'm NOT paying extra to move toons to my current server. Not when I already paid for the game AND pay a monthly subscription fee. And if you think you can squeeze more money out of your user base by terming that function a 'convenience' then prepare to be shocked as another 400,000 subs leave the game.

You have plenty of players with toons scattered all over creation. Although this transfer feature will cater to the players that remained loyal to one server, it largely ignores the population that rerolled once or even several times to make the game truly feel like an MMO.

Let's hope as this transfer initiative progresses, you take steps to ensure it aids your entire user base instead of discriminating against a large portion of it.

Seriously. So incredibly frustrated by how they are handling things. I heard increased server capacities and free transfers and it filled me with such hope for the future of the game. Should have known Bioware would find a way to flubb that all up.

After reading through the blog post and these replies I see a good deal of the same questions as I have.

Will someone who is unsubbed be able to prevent me from having my character name on the destination server? This could be somewhat alleviated with brand new servers as there would be no character history and then I would have to compete only with other transfers. A history tag could help, one that would add one line to state the server my legacy originated on.

Do I transfer all of my characters or each one individually?

We were a pre-launch guild, in torwars.com wall of guilds, and are still fairly active community.

Will we have a small window to co-ordinate transfers for all of our members' accounts/characters?

Does this include people currently unsubscribed who are looking to return?

While I am personally most upset about the name changes as I logged on in pre-release to secure a number of character names. The lack of guild info is very challenging to an already reduced and panicked guild population.

As for the names, it is likely my own fault in trusting the earlier dev post of "working as hard as we can to make sure character/legacy transfer goes smoothly" to not mean "your uninterrupted subscription gives you no greater benefit than someone who played only the free month". Your next assistance feature could be a random name generator for legacy as well as character names.

- Random Name of the Random Name Legacy

member of the Random Name Guild

on the Unannounced Server.

You're not the only one who feels that way.

This, 100 times this. If i lose my names or legacy, I am done. I have given them more than enough chances. Some might call it petty, and do the cliche "bye then" statement, but I have a feeling I am not alone in this. With all the time they have had to work on this, this is the best they could do?

Edited by Boredmuse

That would have been a pretty good solution. I'm pretty annoyed about that as well, as an early access player who woke up at something like 4 in the morning in order to be there the second the server went online. heh. At this point, I honestly don't have any idea if my server (Sanctum of the Exalted) would be considered an origin server or a destination server or neither. At least however it happens, I have the option not to transfer. My long-term concern is how they'll handle names when mergers almost inevitably happen.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=473286

Edited by thewatcheruatu

Is it really that hard to post a guild MOTD saying transfer to server x or you are on you own. The only burden is peoples lazyness.

i agree..if your worried about your guild then inform everyone where you are going...and if they arent currently subbed then you dont really need them anyways.

QQ'ers are gonna QQ...

Great step in the right direction Bioware!

Very constructive. I truly hope the fanboys who no matter what think bioware does no wrong, are the ones to lose their character names and legacy names. See how they sound then.

Edited by Boredmuse

Is it really that hard to post a guild MOTD saying transfer to server x or you are on you own. The only burden is peoples lazyness.

Oh? Say some of your folks are on vacation and can't login? Say some guildies are waiting on payday to resub and they miss the window? It's not the "work" of reforming the guild, redoing the rank structure, REQUESTING my tabs be restored and then restocking them that concerns me. It's that some people can fall through the cracks during this process, along with the concerns others share about Guild, Character and Legacy names.

This, 100 times this. If i lose my names or legacy, I am done. I have given them more than enough chances. Some might call it petty, and do the cliche "bye then" statement, but I have a feeling I am not alone in this. With all the time they have had to work on this, this is the best they could do?

lol...i think you would be happy that you are able to move to a high pop server...if you had played any other MMO it is done the same way when transfers/mergers happen. why is this a surprise to everyone?

All I care about is the people.

I just want the people in my guild now, and have been in recent history, to be able to rejoin us on our new 'active' population server. Hopefully, this isn't too much to ask.

QFT and having your priorities correct. :)

Now, Bioware, why can't you put the "people" first like our guilds are trying to do, and ensure entire guilds stay together?

islander, I read your guild description and comments elsewhere, and understand where your guild is coming from. We share some similarities as well.

My guild (two, one Republic, one Empire) are part of a gaming community that has been around since 2008. Four years and counting of friends sticking together to weather one MMO or one online game to the next. Sometimes we have a focus (ie: right now TOR), and sometimes we're in limbo. But we've always stayed together and have enjoyed the friendship surrounding whatever we choose to play next. For us, the people are our priority, before hte game.

So like you, we're worried about this too. Our gaming community has a different but similar name compared to our guilds. But keeping everyone together is priority number one. With that in mind, what happens when we have members who find out they'll have to change their own legacy/character names if we transfer to another server? If they care about the naming of their legacy or their characters, will they be forced to make a choice between the guild and that? After all, we're already planning to play Mechwarrior Online together, so it's not like we put TOR above our community. And there's always other MMOs in the future, such as Titan.

I must ask Bioware, do they really care about the people and our social connections? If they did, they wouldn't split up guilds or even risk that as a possible outcome.

I can't imagine this will work well at all. People want to play on servers like The Fatman and Jedi Covenant - they don't want to take a chance on transferring from 20 dead servers to 1 brand new server and asked to somehow form a viable community whole cloth, with all existing guilds destroyed in the process, or sprinkled across mid-pop servers separated from existing friends.

I can't even imagine how I'd feel if I was on some dead server and you gave me one or two options to transfer to what is, as of now, an equally dead server. And if it doesn't work out well, then you're going to charge me to move to a real server? Get ready for the screeds and even more alienated fans I'd say.

This is a good thing definitely. Only problem I foresee is that a guild of people who want to stay together happens to be on one of the origin servers. They allow us to move to a destination server for a day... two days... a week... whatever their timeframe is. But then that opportunity is limited in time and/or the destination server changes suddenly without warning and we still have half of our guild trying to transfer off the origin server or we have a couple integral members on vacation for the week and completely miss being able to transfer. Suddenly we either have to choose to keep the whole guild on a suddenly dead server or screw over a chunk of our guild members and leave without warning to them.

Like I said this transfer is definitely a very good thing and happy it is sooner then later. But not having some sort of guild transfer function could be problematic.

Many guild leaders have contacted us with their concerns about coordinating their guild members in preparation for the free character transfer service and I wanted to take some time to explain how this process will work.

In order to ensure an optimal playing experience for every server, we’ll be offering direct transfers from one origin server to a pre-selected destination server. This means that the destination server will already be selected for the origin server. As mentioned in our blog post, all server types and languages will be respected. You will not find your PvE characters transferred to a PvP server, or vice versa.

Therefore, all guild members on the origin server will be eligible to transfer to the same destination server, ensuring that the guild has the opportunity to stay together.

As we mentioned in our blog, the character transfer service will be made available gradually, starting with a small number of origin servers and adding more until all servers eligible for transfer are available in the service. We know everyone is excited for the opportunity to transfer their characters, but it is critical that we do this gradually to ensure both a smooth transfer as well as a great player experience on the destination servers.

Eligible servers will be listed as they become available for transfers at http://www.swtor.com/transfer, which will go live on Tuesday. This is to prevent potential server load issues.

Please note that we will not be dividing the population of an origin server onto multiple destination servers for this free character transfer process.

Additionally, players need not worry about rushing to transfer as free character transfers between selected servers will remain available for as long as it is needed to help balance server populations naturally. Rest assured that if we ever decide to stop this free character transfer service, players will be given plenty of advanced notice.

We hope that this clarifies any confusion.

Edited by JovethGonzalez

I'm sorry but not being able to tell us which servers we can transfer to in advance is complete and utter B.S.

Now we're going to have to scramble to get our guild together to get off this desolate rock.

^this. It's complete BS to tell us it's gonna start in a week and not give us any info.