Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JimG
06.06.2012 , 12:37 PM | #91
"Our aim is to maximize server population across the entire service and to enhance the gameplay experience for our players....In some cases, a large number of origin servers will be eligible to move to a single destination server. In others, very few origin servers will be transferring to existing high population destination servers."

It will be interesting to see how much they allow transfers to higher pop servers. Currently, there is no way to maximize server population across all the servers because they don't have enough players to do that. They'd have to add a lot more players. They badly need to consolidate some servers and concentrate the population on a lower number of servers instead of trying to spread it thin across all of the servers. Hopefully they to designate at least 5 servers eligible for transfer for each higher pop server. I'm on The Harbinger, which has always been one of the highest pop servers, but it is absolutely nowhere near full capacity especially because they announced they will be increasing population caps with their mega-servers or whatever they are calling them. If they allow no one or only people from one very low pop server to transfer there, then that would be a big mistake.

Grammarye
06.06.2012 , 12:37 PM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by kilosoldier View Post
They should merge servers to preserve communities/guilds etc. This is the best answer. Once the server pops stabilize then allow a paid transfer service to be implemented. The only reason this isnt happening is because of "bad press", which is asinine because SWTOR is swimming in bad press as it is.
Forcing players to change servers and rename their characters just because you want them to doesn't sound like the greatest business move in history, does it?
For 2000 Cartel Coins, a year-old game breaking bug may get fixed.
For $20, an epic death scene for your character is unlocked to end your overly expensive class story. Subscribers pay $10.

Celebrus
06.06.2012 , 12:37 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
How do you know no servers are "getting axed"?
Quote:
We still believe that you will enjoy playing on a higher population server and hope you'll take advantage of the service, but you won't be forced to transfer.
It's pretty clear that nobody is being forced to transfer. No forced transfers implies no server shut downs.

And nowhere in the entire post does it say anything about server shut downs.

kithsyn
06.06.2012 , 12:37 PM | #94
Impressive and makes me happy.

A couple of weeks ago I said I was 70 pct happy with the game and 30 pct unhappy. 25 of the 30 pct has just been satisfied. Thank you so much!!!

Now for those of us that have been unable to Pvp for 4-5 weeks due to low pop servers, will you be willing to give us free month of game time? Since you advertised a product you were unable to deliver?

But overall good news. Thanks again.

Benfynyn
06.06.2012 , 12:37 PM | #95
I, for one, am very happy with all the recent news and information we've received but most of all this info about transfers. I eagerly await the 12th of June and getting reacquainted with my dusty characters.
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post

After some investigation, it appears that there was some miscommunication between teams and this patch note was not intended to be included in this last patch.

Sammm
06.06.2012 , 12:38 PM | #96
Thank you Bioware.

I'm glad I was wrong, I predicted June 19th 2012 for the transfers but instead it's earlier (June 12th 2012).

Redundant
06.06.2012 , 12:38 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by Rouncer View Post
Seriously. Waste of time. What the hell happened to free transfers where ever people want to go? So what if it ends up with server queues, then people will move elsewhere. So this really is just another money grab by forcing people to pay for transfers to where they actually want to go.

My sub is running out soon and while I am enjoying leveling a Jedi Knight on Fatman there is no way I will be paying to run up legacy levels on him because you won't let me move my existing legacy, that is stuck on Veela, over to Fatman to be with him.
Because if they allowed everyone to move on whatever server they want, you'll be the one on here ************ about server queues.
TOROcast.com: The Fifth Pillar
SWTOR's longest running fan podcast.

danpen
06.06.2012 , 12:38 PM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by Dezzi View Post
Which is my point. They make it pretty clear that transfers for a fee are coming, and by enforcing such arbitrary restrictions (like server type), they guarantee themselves some sales.
Hello there Dezzi,

Can you tell me what you mean about a Transfer fee i do not know what you mean.
I am looking for people who need more help in the forums and i will be there to help you make it better ok.

RaphaelK
06.06.2012 , 12:38 PM | #99
Great news!

One question, it says
Quote:
We can tell you that all server types and languages will be respected. You will not find your PvE characters transferred to a PvP server, or vice versa!
To clarify, that includes RP types as their own, right? Like, we won't see people moving into RP-PvE servers from regular PvE, and vice versa?

Come join us on www.swtor-rp.com, a community resource for anyone who wants to RP in TOR

Gaje
06.06.2012 , 12:38 PM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by Dezzi View Post
Which is my point. They make it pretty clear that transfers for a fee are coming, and by enforcing such arbitrary restrictions (like server type), they guarantee themselves some sales.
Yup, as someone has already stated here, this stinks of a money grab.
Formerly of Terentatek
Now playing on P5