Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations and You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

HeawiNobal
06.06.2012 , 12:25 PM | #41
Finally... thank you... hopefully it all goes smooth and quick.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

OmegaMayhem
06.06.2012 , 12:25 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by kilosoldier View Post
What a huge, huge mistake Bioware is making. In the name of saving face they very well might be putting a couple more nails into this games proverbial coffin.

The correct solution is server merges which helps keep guilds together as well as whats left of the communities servers have developed. This limited pool transfer is going to be a disaster. What if friends that are on a break come back an are unable to meet up with the rest of the friends because there are no longer transfer to that server.

This whole solution to this issue is a microcosm of the inept decisions in design this game suffers from. I cant believe that the negative PR from server merges has forced their hands into this completely foolish decision.

What I thought would and could be such a positive event moving forward is turning into another in a long line of terrible self defeating choices by Bioware.
Server merges would FORCE people to move.

Let's say I am on a medium or low pop server... but I like it. Then BW comes along and says 'hey, we are merging your server with another one. Unfortunately, your names have already been taken and you have to change them, along with your guild name. You have no choice in this matter.'

My response... /unsub.

sladerlmc
06.06.2012 , 12:25 PM | #43
I was under the impression that server transfers might not be the solution, as it was rumored that we may instead see an upgrade to mega-servers. I envisioned this as setting up the existing servers in parallel, and merging the populations of multiple servers into one larger virtual server.

Does this mean mega-servers aren't happening, or is that something that will be coming in a later phase?

Shaabyy
06.06.2012 , 12:25 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Jimer_Lins View Post
Having to reform guilds and potentially losing your name is going to be a gamebreaker for many.
Honestly, what on earth can BW to to prevent this?

If you have to move to a new server than you run the risk of the name of your guild being taken.

They cant magically click a button and move your whole guild. Its up to the individual player. It wouldnt be fair if they just swooped in and stole you away to a new server because the Guild leader said they could.

Dakia
06.06.2012 , 12:26 PM | #45
Really happy this is happening! Good work guys

Quote: Originally Posted by AntTHFD View Post
Hey Devs-

If 1.3 is focused around Group play, why the hell are you making it hard to move a GUILD, the only GROUPS some of us have been relying on for the past few months? I'm still holding on to a thin shred of hope that my server is targeted as a destination, because this seems like a bit much of a burden to shift onto your playerbase to rectify your post-launch kneejerk reaction to open way too many servers. Great option for you unguilded folks, but guilds are getting the shaft here.
It isn't like it is that hard. All a GM has to do is move over his characters, leave an alt as GM, then put in a request to have the bank transferred.

JeramieCrowe
06.06.2012 , 12:26 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Drom View Post
8 of 20? and that's good?

I've got mostly bad experience with them.
I didn't need a live chat with the others. That would have been pointless, annoying, and bad. So yes, excellent, at knowing which ones to live chat and which ones not to.
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

Morteficare
06.06.2012 , 12:26 PM | #47
Well i got chars on 4 servers but im only intrested in 2 of them and if LOL goes up in population i stay there.

Rayla_Felana
06.06.2012 , 12:26 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Menthro View Post
I think what BW is doing this week and into next week, is taking a hard look at the population of each server, which is why they aren't giving out specifics on what server is getting axed and so on. In doing so what they are planning to do, I think, is essentially merging several servers together with the same destination server....so for example Bondor crystal and Girda the hutt get the destination of Ajunta Pall, I didn't bother checking timezones or pvp settings, so three servers become one.....while avoiding that nasty term server merge.
This is basically what I picture, I am interested to see how they will keep the guilds intact, if at all.

DarthTHC
06.06.2012 , 12:27 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by AntTHFD View Post
Hey Devs-

If 1.3 is focused around Group play, why the hell are you making it hard to move a GUILD, the only GROUPS some of us have been relying on for the past few months? I'm still holding on to a thin shred of hope that my server is targeted as a destination, because this seems like a bit much of a burden to shift onto your playerbase to rectify your post-launch kneejerk reaction to open way too many servers. Great option for you unguilded folks, but guilds are getting the shaft here.
It's not that hard to move a guild.

You have to tell your members to move. BioWare wouldn't dream of moving a whole guildful of characters just because a guild master moves. The decision to move has to be up to the players.

You'll probably want to empty out your guild bank before you do this to ensure the items make the transit with you.

Once you have enough characters on the new server (4), you re-form the guild.

Then, if you had a guild bank on your old server, you contact customer service to get it back. (Good luck with that.)

It's not hard. It just requires a bit of planning and communication.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Celebrus
06.06.2012 , 12:27 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Menthro View Post
I think what BW is doing this week and into next week, is taking a hard look at the population of each server, which is why they aren't giving out specifics on what server is getting axed and so on. In doing so what they are planning to do, I think, is essentially merging several servers together with the same destination server....so for example Bondor crystal and Girda the hutt get the destination of Ajunta Pall, I didn't bother checking timezones or pvp settings, so three servers become one.....while avoiding that nasty term server merge.
It wouldn't appear that any servers are "getting axed" as you put it.

They are simply going to encourage people to transfer off of the lower pop servers, they made it quite clear that you will not be forced to transfer which kind of implies that no servers are being shut down or merged and that no forced transfers will occur.

They aren't merging anything, anyone that thinks that servers are being shut down or merged should probably take a closer look at the actual article, because none of that is happening.

It should be happening, but it's not.