Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Class changes and balance in Game Update 1.3

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Class changes and balance in Game Update 1.3
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CourtneyWoods
06.05.2012 , 05:01 PM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Senior Designer Austin Peckenpaugh lets us in on details around class changes and balance in Game Update 1.3.

Quote:
I think it’s important to first communicate that not all class changes are meant to address balance. In fact, I try and treat usability, quality of life, and balance all as equal parts of good class design. To that end, when class changes come to a server near you, it doesn’t necessarily mean that your class was “too good” or “too bad” prior to the patch. In fact, it’s just as likely that these changes are meant to address kinks or even pains in your day-to-day play, ability functionality, and rotations.

Read More
Courtney Woods | Lead Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

-Dench
06.06.2012 , 08:11 AM | #2
Any Operative changes coming?
New England Bay - NE|B - A New England based guild http://newenglandbay.com/

jgelling
06.06.2012 , 08:12 AM | #3
Surprised they didn't tweak sorc/sage healing.

Really, really surprised they didn't tweak sorc/sage healers.

WulfSolaris
06.06.2012 , 08:14 AM | #4
Some very interesting (and good) changes alluded to here. Can't wait to see the full patch notes! Just hope healers will be seeing a little love and attention to! All in all, while this might be a content-light patch, I'm hoping the number of balance and quality of life issues being addressed will be quite large.
Zakhif - Scoundrel
- Canderous Juyo -

johnnyreece
06.06.2012 , 08:14 AM | #5
Saw some things referencing Tank AoE damage not affecting CC. Any word on if this will apply to any other AoE? I know I'd like to be able to cast Death Field with my Sorc and not break CC...
Neldiahr, Sith Sorcerer Gibsenne, Imperial Operative
Neldienne, Powertech Smash'Kitteh, Meowauder

Magnesium
06.06.2012 , 08:16 AM | #6
Interesting read.

I know details are spoken about DPS/Tanking updates, but are those the only changes coming in 1.3? or additional updates not specifically mentioned?

Aquatium Only in Light can a Shadow exist
Maelstrom
Recruitment Video | Website | Forums | YouTube Channel | Recruitment Post

TempestasSilva
06.06.2012 , 08:22 AM | #7
What about Healers?

Edit: Never mind. Saw the full patch notes. No changes to healing.
Devs: Please make healing more interesting and fun by increasing options and meaningful decisions. Let a good healer be judged by the decisions they make, not who pressed the buttons in a certain order. Or which class has the most output.

Iwipe
06.06.2012 , 08:26 AM | #8
I thought it was mentioned previously that they will improve the useablility of healers and I see no mention of that here or in the full patch notes

Zannis
06.06.2012 , 08:28 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by johnnyreece View Post
Saw some things referencing Tank AoE damage not affecting CC. Any word on if this will apply to any other AoE? I know I'd like to be able to cast Death Field with my Sorc and not break CC...
I doubt it. Tanks worry about Threat gen, positioning, and proper timing of cooldowns. Making the new AoE smart for them makes sense.

DPS on the other hand focus on one thing only, and that's DPS. It's the least mentally taxing role to play in any MMO, and keeping your DPS up without breaking CC is part of your job.

At least with these new changes, a tank can much more easily pull packs of mobs away from CC so that the DPS can AoE unhindered.

TheBBP
06.06.2012 , 08:29 AM | #10
Thank you SOOO much for the tank love!!!!
Crosswire - Republic Commando / Balloch - Bounty Hunter
Co-Leader of WotM/ALitD Family/Christian Guilds
Site : Recruitment Thread
The Ebon Hawk