Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Preview Exciting New Reveals from E3!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Preview Exciting New Reveals from E3!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Cernex
06.05.2012 , 09:22 PM | #421
By adding a new world, will there be an additional Act involved?

Caadeus
06.05.2012 , 09:36 PM | #422
Quote: Originally Posted by Cernex View Post
By adding a new world, will there be an additional Act involved?
Oh didnt think of that, I hope so!
"We take what is given"
"I will only lie. That or tell the truth."

Comstrike
06.05.2012 , 10:48 PM | #423
---Quote (Originally by Comstrike)---
LOTRO had two major updates, each larger in scope and content than all of SWTOR's combined. They also have had two festival events and an anniversary event. Likewise, they are already building towards another major update in a month or so, another summer festival, fall festival, and Riders of Rohan just started pre-order tonight. Odds are that goes live in September, just three more months away, and another update before the end of 2012. THAT is a proper update cycle. This game will get there. Just not in 2012.

They had talked about two major updates every six months, smaller updates in between, and a premium update at the end of the year. To be fair, it is a post-launch game, they have bugs, and clearly a heck of a lot more to fix than expected, plus they are having to advance on things intended to stem the fleeing base of players. So whatever the plan was, it isn't that anymore. The last comment that speaks to the changed footing the game is on, is that they have a "plan for the REST of this year."

For my part, its a fun game. I have my guild here, folks will stick around, especially with F2P up to lvl 15. I look forward to seeing what they have built by early 2013.
---End Quote---
Good idea. Let's compare a new game, fresh outta launch, to a game that's been around for years.

Alternatively, for a closer comparison, look and see what each game has done within the first 6 months."

Jamie, I respect that you like the game, and are simply defending it from your point of view, but did you read my post or just glance over it? As I stated, LOTRO is where this game can get, not where it is. Nor did I say it should be where LOTRO is now, after only six months. I pointed to a fine example of what SWTOR should work towards. Bioware did speak to their aggressive goals for year-one, which actually mirror what LOTRO did in its first year, since you want to compare. Plans did not survive contact with reality as we all know.

That said, I did not compare LOTRO vs. SWTOR in terms of their first six months, as I already have said. In truth, LOTRO did far better despite the difference in scale of the two games. The industry also has evolved a lot since 2006/2007. What I did point too, was a game, which has become a very steady, stable, and highly respected one within the genre.
Comstrike
Founder, Leader, Sons Of Numenor & Scions of Koribban| LOTRO - SWTOR - GW2 - STO - World of Tanks | GalacticHolonetNews

Gawlron
06.05.2012 , 11:06 PM | #424
Can't wait to sink my teeth into it!
CE VIP
Emotion, yet peace; Ignorance, yet knowledge; Passion, yet serenity; Chaos, yet harmony; Death, yet the Force.

vstarvan
06.05.2012 , 11:19 PM | #425
Does anyone else think that the squid looking alien from the Terror From Beyond Operation is a Gree? He fits the description and looks similar to the sketches on Wookieepedia. Not to mention the technology around him is definitely unique, something the Gree are greatly known for.

ElitehunterDS
06.05.2012 , 11:26 PM | #426
Quote: Originally Posted by Comstrike View Post
---Quote (Originally by Comstrike)---
LOTRO had two major updates, each larger in scope and content than all of SWTOR's combined. They also have had two festival events and an anniversary event. Likewise, they are already building towards another major update in a month or so, another summer festival, fall festival, and Riders of Rohan just started pre-order tonight. Odds are that goes live in September, just three more months away, and another update before the end of 2012. THAT is a proper update cycle. This game will get there. Just not in 2012.

They had talked about two major updates every six months, smaller updates in between, and a premium update at the end of the year. To be fair, it is a post-launch game, they have bugs, and clearly a heck of a lot more to fix than expected, plus they are having to advance on things intended to stem the fleeing base of players. So whatever the plan was, it isn't that anymore. The last comment that speaks to the changed footing the game is on, is that they have a "plan for the REST of this year."

For my part, its a fun game. I have my guild here, folks will stick around, especially with F2P up to lvl 15. I look forward to seeing what they have built by early 2013.
---End Quote---
Good idea. Let's compare a new game, fresh outta launch, to a game that's been around for years.

Alternatively, for a closer comparison, look and see what each game has done within the first 6 months."

Jamie, I respect that you like the game, and are simply defending it from your point of view, but did you read my post or just glance over it? As I stated, LOTRO is where this game can get, not where it is. Nor did I say it should be where LOTRO is now, after only six months. I pointed to a fine example of what SWTOR should work towards. Bioware did speak to their aggressive goals for year-one, which actually mirror what LOTRO did in its first year, since you want to compare. Plans did not survive contact with reality as we all know.

That said, I did not compare LOTRO vs. SWTOR in terms of their first six months, as I already have said. In truth, LOTRO did far better despite the difference in scale of the two games. The industry also has evolved a lot since 2006/2007. What I did point too, was a game, which has become a very steady, stable, and highly respected one within the genre.
LOTRO never went over 1 million subs.. at least the F2P is perfect for me.
http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

Only issue with the game currently is population, they should rename a few server the "Void of Emptiness", "Loneman land" or "Everyone ate too much junkfood and rerolled Fat"
Retiring from SWTOR August 2013

Sev'ra Level 55 Sith Assassin {Deception spec}
Tempest (Prophecy of the Five)

Caadeus
06.05.2012 , 11:37 PM | #427
Quote: Originally Posted by ElitehunterDS View Post
LOTRO never went over 1 million subs.. at least the F2P is perfect for me.
http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

Only issue with the game currently is population, they should rename a few server the "Void of Emptiness", "Loneman land" or "Everyone ate too much junkfood and rerolled Fat"
Speaking of population, Are they gonna merge some servers or what?
"We take what is given"
"I will only lie. That or tell the truth."

RevanRedemption
06.06.2012 , 12:07 AM | #428
Wow some of you are disgustingly pathetic. Threatening to leave the game because there's not enough to do, not a good enough variety in species and so on. Then we get this huge announcement of some major content additions that are in the works, but instead of being stoked you're b****ing that the content is stupid. Seriously you make me sick. It hasn't even been 6 months yet and they already announced a new species, which by the way from what I've seen in the game is Republic aligned so I'm sure there's an Empire race coming as well, and also a new planet. Not to mention all the other additions that'll help give you more to do. If this massive announcement didn't get you even a bit excited, I have no friggin' idea why you're still here. Can't wait BW!

MdLogan
06.06.2012 , 12:16 AM | #429
Yah, the new species, Cather i believe, was one of my favorite species. Also in Kotor 1 Juhani was one of the best people to use, she was a Cather. So I can't wait for this update on that alone, not to mention all the other additions.

janhgo
06.06.2012 , 12:24 AM | #430
Quote: Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
Everything is nice and exciting, but I really have one issue: why Cathar?

Or better yet.. why ONLY Cathar?

I am still waiting for Togruta. Until then, I`ll pass this abomination of a race.
I kinda have to agree with you on this. I'm not excited one bit about the Cathar being the "new race". I was much looking forward to either Togrutas or Nautolans. ;/