Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

GUIDE: How To Remove Your Security Questions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
GUIDE: How To Remove Your Security Questions

Lunez
06.05.2012 , 05:11 PM | #1
Version 1.0
Updated: 6-4-12

Just to clarify, you cannot actually remove the security questions, but you can repress them. Technical support will tell you that the secondary security questions will come up every time the IP address of the user changes, and that the solution is to use a static IP.

While this is indeed, a true statement, there are unfortunately some logistics involved here that make it slightly more complicated than that, as many of you with static IP's have already discovered. The following guide is a one-stop-shop solution to all of your security-question repression needs.

This guide includes all known scenarios, challenges, and solutions to this process, and will continue to be updated as new information arises. The ultimate goal that you'll be completing here is (1) assigning your computer with a static internal IP address, (2)opening up your SWTOR game ports, and (3)performing a work-around that circumnavigates a problem that keeps you from properly suppressing the security questions.

NOTE: No complainers allowed. Like all of my written guides posted on various portions of our forums, this is not a place for complainers to congregate. This is a thread that focuses on solutions, not problems. If you have something constructive to add or suggest, then please feel free to help out. If I made an error, or you would like to see something else added to this guide, then I encourage you to participate by replying.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Table Of Contents

-------------------
THE BASICS:
-------------------
  1. What is an IP address?
  2. What is a static IP?
  3. How do I obtain a static IP?
----------------------------------------------
Additional Info You Need to Know:
  1. Multiple Devices.
  2. Re-Installing your SWTOR launcher.
  3. Possible Bug: Changing your SWTOR password.
  4. Port Forwarding
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------
THE BASICS:
-------------------

What is an IP address?

When we talk about IP addresses of home computers, we are usually referring to two types of address. One is your external IP address – the one that the world sees as your Internet connection. Then you have your private IP addresses internally on your home network, commonly referred to as your internal IP address. This guide will be focusing on your internal IP address.

Even if you only have one computer on your home network, it will have a private internal IP address given to it by your router. Private IP addresses cannot be routed over the Internet and are strictly for private use, so you can identify different devices on your network. Every device on your home network is given a different internal IP so that they can all communicate with each other.

Examples: your smart phone that uses your home WiFi has it's own internal IP, and so does the desktop computer up stairs in your bedroom, the Playstation 3 in your living room, and so does your wireless laptop sitting on your dining room table; these all have a different internal IP address automatically assigned to them from your router, within the ranges of 2-254.

When you buy a router, it comes with a stock IP address, and a default Username and Password. Different types of routers have different stock addresses, and these are the addresses you type into your web-browser in order to log into your router directly to adjust network settings, such as WiFi and router passwords, port forwarding, etc.

Your router interface, for instance, might be accessible through 192.168.0.1 – this is a private address. Your home desktop computer might then be anything from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254. Most routers will just assign internal addresses on a first come first served basis. The first computer you plug into the router will send out a network request saying “I need an IP address, my hardware address is x.x.x.x.x.x” and will be assigned 192.168.0.2, then the next device will get assigned 192.168.0.3 and so on. Get it?

If you've not changed your default router password already, I strongly suggest you take a moment to do so now. Router addresses vary depending on the manufacturer. The following link is a list of router manufacturers, including their IP address, and default Username and Password:

List of Router Login Addresses, and their default Username and Passwords

What is a static IP?

In home networks, IP addresses aren’t usually fixed, but they do fall within specific ranges. Your router will assign a new IP address automatically if another computer joins the network, or if your configuration changes. For the most part, this works out just fine – you shouldn’t notice a difference to your Internet performance or application functionality if your IP changes.

A static IP address however, is one that doesn’t change. Your computer decides upon the internal IP address it wants, and it tells the router. The router remembers this address so it knows the difference between all of your online devices, and doesn't assign another device that internal IP address.

Your external IP address is not something you can change – it will be given to you automatically by your Internet provider. You can purchase a static external IP address, but they are incredibly expensive. For a home network though, (and for the purposes of this guide) you are free to assign static, non-changing internal IP addresses to whatever computers you want. This is what we'll be teaching you how to do.

How do I obtain a static IP?

This process is going to be either incredibly simple, or potentially annoying; but either way it unfolds, this is all really not that difficult of a process and should only take you about 5 minutes from cradle to grave, if not less. It does however, require you to break down and finally commit yourself to learning more about your router and/or computer.

Truth be told, you might already have a reserved static internal IP address for your computer and not even know it. We can find out by logging into your router. Hopefully you already know how to log into your router and/or clicked on the link that I provided above that lists router addresses by manufacturer.

Since every router is different, and looks different once you're logged in, I have absolutely no way to 100% explain to everyone all of the steps but what I can do is tell you how my router is setup, and allow you to use it as a template to lead you through your own framework. Push comes to shove, you can always check out your router manufacturers website for further information on how to create a static internal IP address for your computer.

The following are screenshots and explainations on how to go about this using my router, (D-Link). This won't be exactly the same as yours unless we have the same router, but you can use this information as a template of knowledge to go about doing a similar process in your own router.

Once inside your router, you're going to have to navigate around until you find a Tab or Section labaled "Status". This is going to be where you'll find all sorts of informtion on your home network, such as a list of every device currently connected with your network (server). Here is a picture of my network device list:

Picture of my Network of Internal IP Addresses.

Notice that I have a number of devices, and they are mostly listed by their name that you create when setting up your computer via Windows installation. I name my Desktop "Hobbes-Home" and you can also see my wireless laptop listed as "Hobbes-Mini", and you can even see my android phone which is also using my home's WiFi connection.

Notice how the first part of the IP addresses are all the same but the last number is different? That's because my network router address is 192.168.0.1 and my router assigned the different devices connected to my network with a different internal address: .177, .178, .179, .192, etc etc.

Since I play SWTOR on my "Hobbes-Home" desktop computer, so I'm going to write down its internal IP, which according to the picture, is: 192.168.0.177 and make that internal address static, meaning that even when I turn off my computer, my router knows not to assign that address to another device, and will make sure that Hobbes-Home is the only devide that gets it. My router will remember because it stores my MAC address, which you can also see in the picture. MAC addresses are unique for every device.

Next we need to navigate to a different section of the router, and find a place that lets you reserve a DHCP. I won't get too much into what a DHCP is other than it stands for "Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol" and it allows network devices to automatically obtain a valid IP address from your server. What we're going to do is reserve a DHCP for Hobbes-Home, so that every time that computer logs into my network, it will get the same internal IP address, thus making it static.

The following is a picture of my screen that allows me to reserve the DHCP for Hobbes-Home.

Picture of Reserved DHCP for my SWTOR computer.

You'll notice that I already reserved .177 for Hobbes-Home and made it static by clicking on the "<< Computer Name" scroll-down button, and selected the computer that I wanted from the selection, which then automatically populates the info that the blank fields requested me to fill out. Your router might not be this cool, and ask you to type in everything manually, which is fine because you already know the info you need by viewing your "Status" screen that you should have already visited. Notice how on the list at the bottom it lists Hobbes-Home's IP address as "Never" expiring? This means that it will never change unless I tell it to. It never expires. It's static.

I just clicked Save, and then it added Hobbes-Home and my IP address ending with .177 to the reserved DHCP list, effectively giving my computer a static IP! Voila! Just make sure to save all of your router settings and exit your router page. It will probably go through a router reboot but it will only take a few seconds, and it won't actually reboot yuor physical router, it just updates any new information you gave it, such as your new static IP.

Additional Info You Need to Know:

Now that you have established a static internal IP address for the computer you wish to play SWTOR on, you can now log into the game without having those annoying secondary security questions pop up every time. Problam is, even with the static IP, it still might not work, and this is because there are additional things you should know. These next short sections explain everything you need to know.

Multiple Devices.

So those security questions pop up every time your internal IP address changes, right? Well you may or may not realize this but you might be accessing SWTOR via other sources and not even know it, which triggers SWTOR to recognizing a different ip address, and prompting you to answer those secondary security questions.

I accidently stumbled on this because I would sometimes use my android phone to look up stuff from the SWTOR website. Bam, I just accessed my account from a different IP. I've also used my laptop, which sits next to my desktop and use it to view SWTOR forums and other content while playing the game. Bam, that's another IP address. Moral to the story is that you should be mindful of your multiple devices (which all have a different unique IP address) that trigger SWTOR to ask you the additional questions.

Re-Installing your SWTOR launcher.

You may have to re-install the Launcher in order for SWTOR to recognize your new settings, such as a recently changed static IP address. Don't fret, this is EXTREMELY easy, and involves simply re-downloaded the SWTOR_Setup.exe file from the SWTOR website at: https://account.swtor.com/user/games and re-running the setup. This does not change any of your game content, files, account settings, etc. All this does is ask you if you would like to re-install the launcher, which you of course, say yes to. A couple minutes later, you are freshly repaired and ready to go on as planned.

Possible Bug: Changing your SWTOR password.

Despite everything you've done above, sometimes you are STILL not able to repress the secondary security questions. This is due partly to a miss-communication between your SWTOR Account, and your SWTOR Launcher. The solution has been found to be exceptionally easy and relatively effortless. You must log into your account on the SWTOR Forums and change your password. You may change it to anything you like, and you can even change it right back to your original password if you please.

After changing your password, simply boot up your game, enter your info, including the secondary security question, and voila, you are fixed. I recommend exiting out and re-booting the game back up to test if everything is working you have indeed, successfully repressed the secondary security questions.

Port Forwarding

I added this section in here because since you're fiddling with your router, you might as well do something that will aid you immensely while you're in there. We're going to "forward your SWTOR ports." If you're not familiar with what Port Forwarding is referring to, think of it as a faucet, and through this faucet, all of your online data passes through to enter and exit your computer.

What many MMO's require is that you open your router's ports to these games, so data may transfer freely without any throttling or maze-like obstacles to maneuver around. CIV, DIablo, etc etc--- you are recommended to open the ports when playing just about any game Online, especially when playing against other people. We only want to open certain ports however, because if we open them all, your faucet is going to flood your bathroom, but instead, we just want to hand-pick which ports to open. In this case, we're opening SWTOR ports.

SWTOR uses the following Ports (and sometimes port ranges, such as in this case):

TCP: 80
TCP: 8995
TCP: 12000-12999
TCP: 20000-30000

This process is really easy once you understand how to navigate and use your router. You first need to log into your router, and navigate to the pages that deal with "Port Forwarding", and are sometimes listed under "Advanced", or "Gaming". Once you find the right page (make sure you don't find something similar, make sure it says "Port Forwarding", then just have to enter some quick info. The following is a picture of what mine looks, and while all routers are a bit different, and yours may not look like this, it SHOULD look similar, and this picture should be enough to use as a template:

Picture of my Port Forwarding screen

You'll notice that I entered the internal IP address for the computer I want to play on, wrote in a generic name for the software (in this case SWTOR), filled in the port number (or range, in the case of 12000-12999 and 20000-30000), clicked save, and voila, my ports are now forwarded, and my computer is going to be communicating with SWTOR servers a heck of a lot faster!

Your latency should decrease, your lag and loading times should improve, and your general gameplay should be improved too, basically because your SWTOR data coming and going from your computer no longer needs to compete in a triathlon just to pass through your faucet. It has a nice, wide-open, clean passageway to move through.

Congratulations on successfully repressing your SWTOR secondary security questions!

Lunez
06.05.2012 , 09:03 PM | #3
Hopefully some of you found this guide helpful. If you think I could add something to make it a bit more clear, and/or informative, please let me know and I will see about adding it within the next update,

Cheers,
Me