"Free Trial Members can not Chat"

I have played this game since Early Release. And when my friend wanted to try the game, I thought the free trial program would let us play together. No, what I get is a friend's toon who can't chat, leaving no point in letting us play with friends! If you can't chat, you can't look for groups, strategize, hell, you can't even tell your friend you made this guy! This is absurd, and I'm not going to demand anything, just saying that I think they should either fix the Free Trial Program, or get rid of it. I understand they want people to buy it, creating 'freemium', but this isn't the way to go. I'd rather be limited to level 15 than limited to not being able to chat! BioWare, you've lost all other free trials from me. Edited by jedimasterjac

• Dev Post
In our Weekend Pass Free Trials and our Friend Trials, the players on the trial can't use General, Trade, or PvP chat, but they can use group chat, guild chat, whisper (and replies), and /say. If your friend is unable to use the channels they should be (as listed in the FAQ here: http://www.swtor.com/info/faq/game#q400150), please let us know!

In our Weekend Pass Free Trials and our Friend Trials, the players on the trial can't use General, Trade, or PvP chat, but they can use group chat, guild chat, whisper (and replies), and /say. If your friend is unable to use the channels they should be (as listed in the FAQ here: http://www.swtor.com/info/faq/game#q400150), please let us know!

What about Ops chat?

Am I the only person that sees a problem with this? Or am I just the only person to try the Free Trial program for a friend?

You can thank all the gold sellers who, in the past and in other games, used "free trial" accounts to spam advertisements in chat channels, or use annoying methods to advertise their wares.

Thank you for this! I was unsure of the other chats, and now that I know I am very happy of this. Sorry to be of inconvenience. :/

I agree with OP. bioware really has some issues. What is the point in chat restriction to groups, guild and whisper if they can't talk in general or trade or whatever else to get into a group or guild? Honestly the logic behind these devs is truely something to laugh about.

Inb4postdeleted.

I agree with OP. bioware really has some issues. What is the point in chat restriction to groups, guild and whisper if they can't talk in general or trade or whatever else to get into a group or guild? Honestly the logic behind these devs is truely something to laugh about.

Inb4postdeleted.

Gold sellers is why. Also, players using the free time to be jerks in chat.

Am I the only person that sees a problem with this? Or am I just the only person to try the Free Trial program for a friend?

Probably yes as to considering it a problem. Free Trials are used by spammers in many games which is why most limit the ability of such accounts to do certain things.

if it is a friend you can play together by using a chat option external to SWTOR. However the 7 day friend trial in SWTOR does not prevent you using chat when grouped, or it did not when I used it 2 months ago.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

I thought whispers with them, or party chat was allowed. If not they should be. I can understand cutting them off from general chat, but there is no reason they shouldn't be able to whisper or use party chat. If they are a gold spammer, all that requires is the "report spam" feature, that's why it's there, but this is a lousy move to limit gold spamming. That being said, sometimes even general chat is necessary if they want to LFG for something.

I thought whispers with them, or party chat was allowed. If not they should be. I can understand cutting them off from general chat, but there is no reason they shouldn't be able to whisper or use party chat. If they are a gold spammer, all that requires is the "report spam" feature, that's why it's there, but this is a lousy move to limit gold spamming. That being said, sometimes even general chat is necessary if they want to LFG for something.

It's not a "lousy move" -- it's standard for pretty much any MMO with a free trial.

They can use whisper? They needs to be changed. It should be changed to they can only whisper to anybody that has whispered them and/or anyone that has the trial account characters on their friend list. This will prevent the gold spammers using trial accounts from just using whisper to spam everyone.

Because of Gold Sellers and spam. But how do you know this will happen w/o actually trying?

Because it's been seen again and again in other games. If you have trial accounts without chat limitations gold/credit sellers WILL use it for spamming people with messages. We're not making it up; it's been seen repeatedly in other games, which is why we're at this point. Paying customers should've have to suffer through spam messages in /1 just so someone playing for FREE can more easily find a group. Plain and simple.

Because of Gold Sellers and spam. But how do you know this will happen w/o actually trying?

Because the restrictions became standard because the spammers were in fact using the free trials to spam, till some developers go smart and started to put on restrictions. I remember the days in other MMOs before the restrictions happened, you literally had to leave general chat because there would be hundreds of gold spammers, general chat was useless, they took over.

Edited by Wolfeisberg

Thank heavens for a quick and soothing response.

Have a nice evening:)

My friend is still unable to do this...