Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will 1.3 bring new lower graphics options?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Will 1.3 bring new lower graphics options?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

AllisonBerryman
06.04.2012 , 08:51 AM | #31 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
We're always working on improving the performance of the game, and we do have more improvements for players on lower-spec machines coming in 1.3. This may not include new, lower settings, but optimizations should help many players using those machines.

TheNotorius
06.04.2012 , 08:57 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
We're always working on improving the performance of the game, and we do have more improvements for players on lower-spec machines coming in 1.3. This may not include new, lower settings, but optimizations should help many players using those machines.
Nice to know. I especially hope for a CPU usage optimization, since that's the problem 90% of the time.
Adlez - Operative
Notorio¨s - Sith Marauder (50) (not used)
Adlezz - Jedi Sage (50) (not used)
Notorius - Jedi Guardian (50) (not used)

oredith
06.04.2012 , 08:59 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Ravenhurst View Post
Honestly if the textures of the game get even more nerfed ("stylized") I can as well go back to PS2 gaming...
^ while i can understand the plight of the people with slow machines - i think it's counter intuitive to spend a lot of programming time to cater to the subset of people with very slow computers.

optimizing is good, but going the extra mile so that someone on a Pentium 4 can run the game? seems wasted.

on the opposite end of the spectrum though. I have everything (EVERYTHING) maxed, and the game still looks horrible unless i'm playing first person and 2 feet from the other players' models. why do i have to be THAT close for the high res textures to show up?
(╯░□░)╯┻━┻
flipp'n yo desk, like a bauss
Tankie

TheNotorius
06.04.2012 , 09:09 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by oredith View Post
^ while i can understand the plight of the people with slow machines - i think it's counter intuitive to spend a lot of programming time to cater to the subset of people with very slow computers.

optimizing is good, but going the extra mile so that someone on a Pentium 4 can run the game? seems wasted.

on the opposite end of the spectrum though. I have everything (EVERYTHING) maxed, and the game still looks horrible unless i'm playing first person and 2 feet from the other players' models. why do i have to be THAT close for the high res textures to show up?
Well I have a Dual Core E2180 3.2ghz with an Ati 6850. It's not a Pentium 4.

I know it's still outdated, I don't pretend to play with everything at MAX settings, but I want the game to be playable with the LOWEST settings (and it's not at the moment >> 10-15 Fps in WZ).
Adlez - Operative

Mevan
06.04.2012 , 09:10 AM | #35
Don't care enough to read every post. But lower graphics? No
Bioware need to make the new high quality textures" appear during cutscenes, not just out of them, before they even consider helping out people whining about having a crappy machine.

TheNotorius
06.04.2012 , 09:23 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Mevan View Post
Don't care enough to read every post. But lower graphics? No
Bioware need to make the new high quality textures" appear during cutscenes, not just out of them, before they even consider helping out people whining about having a crappy machine.
It's a lot more important to cater to them, because if they can't play properly, well they won't play (they would loose a lot of subs). While you haven't any gameplay problems, so it's not a priority at all.

PS: Would you enjoy your new *ULTRA-VERY LOW* graphic settings? Ultra-Very Low Graphic
Adlez - Operative

oredith
06.04.2012 , 09:25 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNotorius View Post
PS: Would you enjoy your new *ULTRA-VERY LOW* graphic settings? Ultra-Very Low Graphic
ugh. that is horrendous. why not just play SWG if you want graphics from a decade ago?.. >_<
(╯░□░)╯┻━┻
flipp'n yo desk, like a bauss
Tankie

Lethemback
06.04.2012 , 09:30 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Allison, does that include general engine optimization for all settings? You mention improvements and optimizations for lower-spec machines, but we know that there's general performance issues that affect everyone. Can we expect improvements on that coming in 1.3 too?

Cheers.
There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no death, there is the Force. There is LOVE to defeat the Dark Side.

Skullbash
06.04.2012 , 09:30 AM | #39
The problem is that many games that look MUCH better also run far smoother with lower end systems.

People act like the graphics are amazing in this game, they're not and if it takes more computer horsepower to run a less visually attractive game then something is wrong on the developer's end.

Mevan
06.04.2012 , 09:41 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNotorius View Post
It's a lot more important to cater to them, because if they can't play properly, well they won't play (they would loose a lot of subs). While you haven't any gameplay problems, so it's not a priority at all.

A lot of subs? I have doubts about that. My machine is over 5 years old and I live in a village with terrible internet connection, yet aside from longer load times I have no trouble playing this game on the highest settings with pretty much no lag. People need to upgrade if they can't run the game, the graphics aren't exactly good to start with. They need improving, rather than catering the minority of people with outdated machines.