Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Classes / Specs for a Mage damage dealer equivalent

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Classes / Specs for a Mage damage dealer equivalent

enenra
12.18.2011 , 05:35 AM | #1
Heyho,

I'm just starting off and from past experiences I know that I enjoy myself a lot when playing a "Mage"-like spec / class. Basically being the artillery and just spamming high damage and AOE stuff all over the enemies, preferably from a distance.
I'm not quite sure what class and spec to go with. Was thinking of Inquisitor / Consular but those seem to usually still end up right in front of enemies instead of in a safe distance. Would Trooper / Bounty Hunter be the way to go instead? Although those seem to be more in the tank-roles...

Also, is it just me or do these forums not have a search function at all? oO

eXes
12.18.2011 , 06:00 AM | #2
If you see SI/JC running straight into enemies they are probably not level 10 or Shadow/Assassin. The AC is your class, which you don't seem to know, so you should ask which AC's play most like mage as even the BH/Trooper can be melee.

To answer you, Sage Telekinetics or Sorcerer Lightning are like your traditional mage.

enenra
12.18.2011 , 06:33 AM | #3
I'm not quite sure what you're referring to with "AC" but thanks for answering my question. Will go with JC Sage and SI Sorcerer then!

Crogga
12.18.2011 , 10:37 AM | #4
The three 'mage like' classes in the game seem to be:

Sniper/gunslinger
Sorc/sage-looks/plays like traditional dnd class
Merc/Commando

PT/Vanguard - more of a mix for range tanking. Blaster class so leans range. Still has some of the base class aoe's too.
Assassin/shadow-also a mix. Saber class so leans melee. Also has some of the base class aoes.

Talent specs seem to add some variety the most obvious being of course a heal tree.

Note- if hunters had pretty lights I guess we could call these 'hunter like' too: