Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Large Latency Issue

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kameeni
03.27.2012 , 12:55 PM | #61
Just checking in with the same problem on EU-The Progenitor. Spiking from 40-50 ms to well over 30K ms.
And is it just me or does it seem to happen as you get to the 3rd planet (during the story missions)? I had no problems on Dromund Kaas with my Sith but as soon as I went to Balmorra it went all spikey and the same happened to my Jedi Sage; first 2 planets not a problem third: big spikes.

British_Wookiee
03.27.2012 , 05:40 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
Actually, that particular trace looks ok--not great, but ok. The increase you see isn't completely out of the ordinary when your packets traverse half-way across the country--i.e. from the midwest to California without any routers in-between returning information. If that trace was done during a time when you were experiencing latency issues in-game, then for you at least, it doesn't really appear to be a network issue. If it wasn't, could you post one during a time when you are experiencing issues?

Also as an FYI, Above.net is one of the major backbone providers and does appear to be one of the upstreams for the data center hosting the west coast servers. Comcast looks to be either peering with them or using them as an upstream and can also pursue routing problems.
I appreciate the input, Onyx. The thing is, I'm only in Colorado. My traffic has to travel a little over 2 states to get to it's location.

As I mentioned previously, I used to play on an SWG West Coast server (Sunrunner, in case you're interested) from my home in the UK. Even on a crappy 3mbps DSL line I still managed to get a ping of 201ms.

When I'm getting latency higher than that from a home that is this side of the Atlantic, ~8000 miles closer, it really shouldn't be this bad. Don't you think? I get what you mean about distances between routers. Houston to LA is a little over 1500 miles, which is where my latency increase usually occurs. I would have thought that a high bandwidth provider like Above.net would have considered this when they set up their routing.

Thoughts?
K r a y d e n
/__R_e_d___D_r_a_g_o_n___P_l_a_t_o_o_n__\

- British: Killing you politely since the 1800s -

NecrosisZombie
03.27.2012 , 08:39 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Kindajenin View Post
Greetings NecrosisZombie,

I am very sorry to hear you think we are constantly trying to lay the blame on your ISP provider but I assure you we are not.

I always as players for there tracerts and pathpings to see if they are having any problems with their connection to our servers.

In this case I would ask you to call our Tech support as I am unable to help you on the forums.
Yeah I would believe that if the so called Tech support you have wouldn't keep going around in circles chasing its tail then saying that its just the ISP cause we don't see anything wrong on our end... clearly when this patch came your crack shot team of "experts" screwed something up or there wouldn't be this many people complaining about the same issue.

Onyx
03.28.2012 , 01:32 AM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by British_Wookiee View Post
I appreciate the input, Onyx. The thing is, I'm only in Colorado. My traffic has to travel a little over 2 states to get to it's location.

As I mentioned previously, I used to play on an SWG West Coast server (Sunrunner, in case you're interested) from my home in the UK. Even on a crappy 3mbps DSL line I still managed to get a ping of 201ms.

When I'm getting latency higher than that from a home that is this side of the Atlantic, ~8000 miles closer, it really shouldn't be this bad. Don't you think? I get what you mean about distances between routers. Houston to LA is a little over 1500 miles, which is where my latency increase usually occurs. I would have thought that a high bandwidth provider like Above.net would have considered this when they set up their routing.

Thoughts?
It's not necessarily something determined by routing set-up--though that can be a factor. An individual router/switch can have issues while others in the same vicinity do not.

At the time I posted my previous comments on your trace, I did several of my own from a couple different locations. My packets from the east coast also headed through Above.net's Texas facility, but with better times. Some of that is attributed to time of day, etc.

Keep in mind that ICMP traffic (that's the protocol that utilities such as ping and traceroute use) is typically prioritized lower than other types of traffic. So at times of higher traffic, the results on traces and pings will be higher--but that doesn't necessarily mean the actual latency is. And that's why I agree that in your case, the network doesn't seem to be an issue (at least not in the information you've posted so far) even though you see an increase in time between Houston and LA.

To that end, I'd be curious to see whether your trace times are lower at different times of the day. I expect that they would be.

Traffic to one of the SWG data centers had intermittent connectivity issues via both the Above.net and Level3 networks, and manytimes the offending equipment was glaringly obvious. I've seen a few traces to TOR servers where the issue was pretty clear--especially with Comcast and Tata Communications several weeks ago.

You mention ping times of 201 ms to Sunrunner--was that ping times via the in-game monitor or via actual pings? I say that because the SWG ICMP monitor did not accurately reflect ping times. The client only processed ICMP responses when it didn't have much else to do. It was meant to be a warning indicator that something might be wrong so that you could run other tests. If the client was busy with other things though, it would only report on some of the responses and provide a much-inflated time.

----------------------------------------

Anyway, as far as everyone else is concerned: routing issues can be extremely elusive and can mask themselves in many ways. Not everyone who's having latency/lag problems in this game are victims of that, but some are. And eliminating those from the equation means that the game-based issues can be better traced.
Star Wars fan for life
C C X X:
1st Special Forces Group
S . A . N . C . T . U . M . . . O . F . . . T . H . E . . . E . X . A . L . T . E . D
SWG: 2003 thru 12.15.2011 . . . . . Kettemoor ~ Starsider

DarthBelief
06.03.2012 , 10:32 PM | #65
oops necro, came across the thread via google. deleting