Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

elliotcat
05.31.2012 , 06:08 PM | #1

It's The Weekly Drabble/Short Story Prompt Challenge Thread!

What's this?

This is a thread for writers to challenge ourselves: to write a short story of at least 100 words every week, based on a prompt given out for inspiration. Some of us were having so much fun writing snippets of our characters' daily lives over in the headcanon thread, and this thread was born out of that. The purpose of this thread is to get creative about our characters and their family/companions/friends, and to challenge ourselves to get to know them better.

Check it out - we were featured on TOR Wars!

So, how does it work?

I'll post a prompt every week (I'm going to shoot for Friday). You're free to take that prompt in any direction you want. Want to write a 100-word drabble? That's just fine! Feeling inspired to write a 5000-word short story? Go for it! Or anything in between - it's really up to you. It can be a light-hearted vignette or a tough heart-rending story. It can be set before, after, or during the class stories. The point is simply to write regularly and share with each other. Please post your story here in this thread.

When you post, it would be awesome if you could indicate your character's name, his/her class, and if any spoilers are in your story. I'll collect them in an index so people can easily find and link to their stories to share with friends! You can write multiple stories for each prompt if you feel inspired!

If you have an idea for a prompt, you can PM it to me, Elliot!

Current Prompt:
Week of 7/13/2012 - Catching Up - Pretty much all of our characters have pasts that might catch up with them in the future. Sometimes that's not a good thing, like seeing an old enemy. Sometimes it's great, when an old friend comes to help you when you need it. Either way, it's bound to be interesting.

Mix It Up - For this challenge you can write anything you like. The catch? Someone else's character has to be in it along with yours. It can be your friend's or someone else in the thread as long as you have gotten their permission and as long as your story involves your character and another player character that you don't play - NPCs, companions, etc don't count. Get creative with this one and see what cool stuff you can come up with. We have some really talented minds in here and I'm sure people will come up with some awesome stories.

Happy writing!

Ebon Hawk: Latula // Elaeys // Raima // Jaea // Macara // Meulin // Damarra // Kanaaya

"We will snatch purpose from the jaws of futility...are you ready to wreak some havoc?"

elliotcat
05.31.2012 , 06:09 PM | #2

Ebon Hawk: Latula // Elaeys // Raima // Jaea // Macara // Meulin // Damarra // Kanaaya

"We will snatch purpose from the jaws of futility...are you ready to wreak some havoc?"

bright_ephemera
05.31.2012 , 08:52 PM | #3
Time to repurpose this old story post into an index! Wynston's Culture Shock story is tagged at the end of this post.

alaurin's chronological index starts here, with authors A. The additional index pages are linked in her signature, which can be found at the bottom of that linked post.

---

...and, since he was here first, I'll give Wynston his little dose of Culture Shock here at the end:
450 words, Imperial Agent Wynston, no spoilers whatsoever

Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Osetto
05.31.2012 , 09:09 PM | #4
Prompt: Culture Shock
Characters: Tryn Atee (Trooper), 'Bolts' O'plinty (Smuggler), Larus Noc (Jedi Consular), Chet Stardrifter (Jedi Knight)
Summary: 'Gree With Envy', a throwaway piece dealing with eponymous species, centering around the missions available on Coruscant.

Spoiler
-------------------- The Fan Fiction Index --------------------

Eanelinea
05.31.2012 , 09:52 PM | #5
Was going to post a culture thing here. But it decided to become a bigger story.

Magdalane
06.01.2012 , 07:08 AM | #6
One chapter that I wrote in addition to the one I linked in the previous thread:
Spoiler
Love is the strongest magic of them all.

Jiating
06.01.2012 , 03:05 PM | #7
A Time for Reflection

Slight Inquisitor spoilers

Spoiler

Kalterien
06.01.2012 , 04:57 PM | #8
The Subject of Fun

Kasmarien, a Republic Trooper
Elara Dorne

No spoilers.
Spoiler
"Bow before me, or fall before me." - Daigotsu Kanpeki
Live. Grow Stronger. Fight another day.

RepublicGurl
06.03.2012 , 09:25 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by elliotcat View Post
Current Prompt:
Week of 6/1/2012 - Culture Shock - The galaxy is a big place, and it's home to a wide variety of different cultures and species. It's not easy working with someone who may look similar to you, but comes from a radically different culture - not to mention being friends or even spouses with them.

Happy writing!

Features my Jedi Knight Eleya Shevani- as a Padawan.
Set 3 Standard years ATC

No Spoilers. Used tag for space conservation.

:Culture Shock:

Spoiler
"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend..."

"Only a life lived for others is a life worth living for..."

Earthmama
06.03.2012 , 04:47 PM | #10
Culture shock.

Characters: Ardyth Sith Pureblood, Sith Warrior class, Malavai Quinn.
Spoilers, only in regards to the Fem war and Quinn romance arc.

Culture shock, Sith Purebloods vs a "normal" imperial

Spoiler