Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Grammar in Chat

MMornard
06.02.2012 , 06:57 AM | #161
Quote: Originally Posted by Sauska View Post
Under the age of eight? You guys must be fast learners
D'oh!

blur
06.02.2012 , 07:12 AM | #162
The last generation to really get spelling and grammar in a major way are the kids born in the 70s.

Every generation since then has been worse than the one before it.

That doesn't mean kids in today's generation can't spell or use grammar -- that's totally not what I'm saying although some will choose to interpret my words that way -- I'm simply saying the overall number of literate children is falling... and that's even with falling standards in the way it's measured these days!!!
Time spent following TOR pre-launch = 3 years
Time spent enjoying TOR before I was bored = 2 months
Account cancelled in sheer disbelief that this was Bioware's best effort

Sauska
06.02.2012 , 08:17 AM | #163
Quote: Originally Posted by Letallis View Post
LOL, I was just teasing. Dutch.. do you all have a Tulip channel?
We have to make do with our local Cheese channel
The Borealis Legacy

JMESUN
06.02.2012 , 02:31 PM | #164
Contractions?
░█╣╣╣█[]█╠╠█On that one shot, one kill, bringer of FATE!

Algaram
06.02.2012 , 02:35 PM | #165
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and u tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Letallis
06.02.2012 , 04:26 PM | #166
What they need to do is bring School House Rock back..
Mal: That's the buffet table.
Kaylee: Well, how can we be sure, u-unless we question it?

MWidowmaker
06.03.2012 , 01:27 PM | #167
Quote: Originally Posted by Algaram View Post
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and u tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
that post made me queasy. seriously it gave me a headache

Geawiel
06.03.2012 , 01:55 PM | #168
Yes and No.

I usually try my best to use proper punctuation, spelling and word usage (think you're and your.) It is rare that I use short cuts, don't capitalize or not use punctuation. It does bug me but, I have slight OCD tendencies. My wife thinks it funny that I go around the house lining up light switches for example. When I write something outside of the game, like this for example, I usually comb over it a few times to ensure wording, spelling and punctuation. When I was still in the U.S. Air Force, I worked in a career field that had to deal with performance reports and decorations. Ensuring that they had proper formatting and such. I was usually the one they went to when they had a bullet or sentence that they needed better wording for and, wanted to make it have more of an "impact" statement. Despite the fact that I cross trained on the job and, primarily managed the squadron's computer account.

As for my background, I completed high school and did a few semesters of college online towards a degree in computer science. I didn't finish before I had to move, due to orders. I can't really do school now due to memory issues. It would also be a waste of time because I can't work currently (and most likely never again.)

I'm not really a grammar nazi, though it does bug me when I see it online. This is especially true in professional writing, such as news websites. To me, proper grammar usage and, all aspects tied to that have slipped dramatically over the years. With the worst offenders being news agencies. I would expect an editor to make sure that their best foot is being put forward online. For me, improper grammar makes that agency look bad.
Rest is good for the blood....and your rest shall be eternal!