Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

One Month, followed by closure.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
One Month, followed by closure.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Mistress_Ivi's Avatar


Mistress_Ivi
06.01.2012 , 11:41 AM | #1
For those who played on the PTS last month, will remember we had around 30 days (a calender month) or an Evasion bug making fighting Melee combatants a gamble even with lowly weak NPC's... would they reset, or not?

The problem increased with the targets number and type; making Golds impossible to defeat unless they glitched twice over (the standing still bug).

That aside, you finally patched the server, which broke. A 2nd patch hit the PTS - as well as not reopening the server.

I only play this game to play with my friend, who cannot play on live due to lag issues. I've effectively lost a month's normal gameplay as did my friend. So I was wondering -two- things.

One: Will the PTS players receive compensation for time lost, through either goodwill items or a reduction in costs for their next subs to reflect the substandard levels of gameplay during the time?

Two: When will you be opening the PTS, if the answer is a cookie cutter "with 1.3" then a simple timeframe as to when 1.3 hits would suffice.

I'm making this thread, because as it stands... I'm paying my sub to login to an Offline server.
Former SWG Player and Bloody Proud of it!

banecolton's Avatar


banecolton
06.01.2012 , 03:39 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Mistress_Ivi View Post
For those who played on the PTS last month, will remember we had around 30 days (a calender month) or an Evasion bug making fighting Melee combatants a gamble even with lowly weak NPC's... would they reset, or not?

The problem increased with the targets number and type; making Golds impossible to defeat unless they glitched twice over (the standing still bug).

That aside, you finally patched the server, which broke. A 2nd patch hit the PTS - as well as not reopening the server.

I only play this game to play with my friend, who cannot play on live due to lag issues. I've effectively lost a month's normal gameplay as did my friend. So I was wondering -two- things.

One: Will the PTS players receive compensation for time lost, through either goodwill items or a reduction in costs for their next subs to reflect the substandard levels of gameplay during the time?

Two: When will you be opening the PTS, if the answer is a cookie cutter "with 1.3" then a simple timeframe as to when 1.3 hits would suffice.

I'm making this thread, because as it stands... I'm paying my sub to login to an Offline server.
In before gold copy paste response “we do not give support to the PTS, see this link for details”.


I feel for you OP, I really do, but this thread will be closed with a quickness if any of the other “I have a question about the PTS” threads are any indication. Or maybe just shuffled around the forums for a while…

Best of luck.
Stop closing unsolved tickets BBB Bioware page EA’s award winning customer service

My "low end" machine: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX, 16G of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM, Sapphire HD6970, Thermaltake WO132RE 1000 watt PSU

HelinCarnate's Avatar


HelinCarnate
06.01.2012 , 03:45 PM | #3
You pay to play the game, not to test the game. Granted it may feel like you are still paying to test but still. You will get no compensation of any kind for not being able to play on the test server. If live servers were down for a few days then yes, expect compensation. They only patch it for major updates so there really is no point in even playing there in between those patches.

The only answer you will get to the 2nd qeustion is soon, or when we put 1.3 on the test server. You are foolish to think you would actually get anything else as a reply.
Dear BW,
Please nerf paper and buff rock. Scissors is fine as is.
Signed, Rock.
http://www.swtor.com/r/mB5FPn obligatory referral link.

OmegaMayhem's Avatar


OmegaMayhem
06.01.2012 , 03:45 PM | #4
This is a joke, right?

AllisonBerryman's Avatar


AllisonBerryman
06.01.2012 , 03:47 PM | #5 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Because the PTS is not a "normal" server, it will experience downtime that our other live servers do not experience. The main goal for the PTS is to provide players the ability to assist us in testing upcoming Game Update content, but it is not guaranteed to have the same server uptime or updates as the other servers. Though you can play on PTS (and we encourage you to help test whenever new content is deployed), you will experience more interruptions if you choose to make it a permanent home - its real purpose is for testing, not for permanent play. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope this gives you some more information about the PTS.

Izorii's Avatar


Izorii
06.01.2012 , 03:51 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by OmegaMayhem View Post
This is a joke, right?
Have to agree with this. Your trolling or just a bit simply to play on a public test server as your main?

banecolton's Avatar


banecolton
06.01.2012 , 03:59 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Because the PTS is not a "normal" server, it will experience downtime that our other live servers do not experience. The main goal for the PTS is to provide players the ability to assist us in testing upcoming Game Update content, but it is not guaranteed to have the same server uptime or updates as the other servers. Though you can play on PTS (and we encourage you to help test whenever new content is deployed), you will experience more interruptions if you choose to make it a permanent home - its real purpose is for testing, not for permanent play. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope this give you some more information about the PTS.
Thank you for proving me wrong in this case, it is nice to see responses that deviate from the same old “cut and paste” we see far too much of here.
Stop closing unsolved tickets BBB Bioware page EA’s award winning customer service

My "low end" machine: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX, 16G of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM, Sapphire HD6970, Thermaltake WO132RE 1000 watt PSU

Onyx's Avatar


Onyx
06.01.2012 , 04:15 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Izorii View Post
Have to agree with this. Your trolling or just a bit simply to play on a public test server as your main?
She was most definitely not trolling.

There are dedicated players who primarily play on test servers in games. I am fully aware of the impact those players can have on the game the rest of us play. Hopefully Bioware comes to realize that as well.

As for Ivi? This isn't the first game she's played primarily on its test center for the purpose of both playing and enjoying the game. So no. She was not trolling.
Star Wars fan for life
C C X X:
1st Special Forces Group
S . A . N . C . T . U . M . . . O . F . . . T . H . E . . . E . X . A . L . T . E . D
SWG: 2003 thru 12.15.2011 . . . . . Kettemoor ~ Starsider

Red-Dwarf's Avatar


Red-Dwarf
06.01.2012 , 04:17 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
The main goal for the PTS is to provide players the ability to assist us in testing upcoming Game Update content,
Allison, the issue we have is we don't know why the test server is down. We expect additional downtime, but for patches, for crashes (yes, we want crashes, that means you can fix them before live gets broke), or for any explained reason (occasionally you need to bounce the server just to check the next maintenance isn't going to do something funky).

As you say the server is there to encourage us to test, like Ivi I'm trying to be ready to test, got up to legacy level 30 but still got more to do before I'm ready for 1.3. As far as I can see there are three reasons for the server being down:
  • The server is testing character copy - but that means you'll be taking the live servers down for more than 48 hours to do mergers?? Surely not!
  • The server is being used for internal testing as the other internal servers have been sold off. I can live with that, it means the cash generated from the sales is keeping some of you employed, and the reason Ivi and I want to play on test is to make sure the game succeeds and you lot keep your jobs!
  • The devs didn't realise they have a test community who want the game to be better and are playing on test so they are in position to report bugs when new patches come down. Without a server to get ready you risk those players deciding it isn't worth it to help.

Ivi and I and others want this game to be better and are prepared to test it for you and report bugs to the best of our ability, but if the server is down without a reason it is demotivating to your volunteer test force.

qAsandra's Avatar


qAsandra
06.01.2012 , 04:18 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Mistress_Ivi View Post
For those who played on the PTS last month, will remember we had around 30 days (a calender month) or an Evasion bug making fighting Melee combatants a gamble even with lowly weak NPC's... would they reset, or not?

The problem increased with the targets number and type; making Golds impossible to defeat unless they glitched twice over (the standing still bug).

That aside, you finally patched the server, which broke. A 2nd patch hit the PTS - as well as not reopening the server.

I only play this game to play with my friend, who cannot play on live due to lag issues. I've effectively lost a month's normal gameplay as did my friend. So I was wondering -two- things.

One: Will the PTS players receive compensation for time lost, through either goodwill items or a reduction in costs for their next subs to reflect the substandard levels of gameplay during the time?

Two: When will you be opening the PTS, if the answer is a cookie cutter "with 1.3" then a simple timeframe as to when 1.3 hits would suffice.

I'm making this thread, because as it stands... I'm paying my sub to login to an Offline server.
It really doesn't matter anymore, Ivi. Come August, I'm gone. I'll play on the PTS when they have it up and I'll play on live when I can use hubby's comp (when he's at work), but it's only because the sub is paid for till August and I intend to get my money's worth. After that, I'm going home. Can't mention the name of the game because it's not allowed, but you'll know where I can be found.