Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dear Community Team, a humble opinion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Dear Community Team, a humble opinion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

AllisonBerryman
06.01.2012 , 10:11 AM | #11 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
First of all, thanks for being constructive with your post - we appreciate it when people express something that can be frustrating while being nice. I hope this will shed a little light on why you see so much "soon" sometimes:

We like to give out solid dates when we have them, no doubt about that. However, we also want you to know about things we're working on - sometimes before they have a solid date.

We do try to balance: the community wants to know what's going on, what's on the table, and what's coming for the game. We also want you to know that information, but in game development, deadlines and dates shift very often as a result of the multitude of variables that are part of the process (one example is having serious bugs come up in testing that require time to address). This means that we sometimes need to be vague about when a feature or change is coming.

We don't want to give dates and then constantly adjust them because that creates confusion and plenty of frustration, but we do want you to know what we're working on. This often leads to us having to be vague in order to provide information, but we're always working toward the goal of delivering a date to you for anything that's coming up. We know that the vagueness can be frustrating, but silence can be, too, and we want to give you information! We'll keep working to get dates whenever we can, but I can't promise you won't see another "soon" when we talk about future plans.

Codek
06.01.2012 , 10:16 AM | #12
Why is it never practical to just give a deadline that is easily obtainable and then just surprise everyone with an early release of the content? For example, say major patches will come every 6 month but internally shoot for 3 per year (4 months).
~Codek

Peregrine_Falcon
06.01.2012 , 10:36 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by trussasp View Post
Hi OP:

In business, in America, you under-promise, and under-deliver.

You set expectations very low, and exceed those (very low) expectations.

However, whatever your country does is I'm sure a wonderful system as well, but here, that's how it is done.
I've worked for a lot of American corporations in my life and not one of them ever did things this way.

Then again, none of the corporations that I worked for ever lost 25% of their customers in less than 6 months time. So I don't know, maybe we were doing it wrong?
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

Mater_energy
06.01.2012 , 10:50 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
First of all, thanks for being constructive with your post - we appreciate it when people express something that can be frustrating while being nice. I hope this will shed a little light on why you see so much "soon" sometimes:

We like to give out solid dates when we have them, no doubt about that. However, we also want you to know about things we're working on - sometimes before they have a solid date.

We do try to balance: the community wants to know what's going on, what's on the table, and what's coming for the game. We also want you to know that information, but in game development, deadlines and dates shift very often as a result of the multitude of variables that are part of the process (one example is having serious bugs come up in testing that require time to address). This means that we sometimes need to be vague about when a feature or change is coming.

We don't want to give dates and then constantly adjust them because that creates confusion and plenty of frustration, but we do want you to know what we're working on. This often leads to us having to be vague in order to provide information, but we're always working toward the goal of delivering a date to you for anything that's coming up. We know that the vagueness can be frustrating, but silence can be, too, and we want to give you information! We'll keep working to get dates whenever we can, but I can't promise you won't see another "soon" when we talk about future plans.
I fully understand why you use soon, and try not to mention specific dates until everything is 100% ready.
After reading Joveth's recent post about Server Transfers being almost complete and going into testing, I was wondering why you couldn't give us more information like that for systems that the community is eagerly awaiting?
For Example you could say: "We are working on 3D space combat, its in the hands of the <insert Dev team> and moving along as we expect", or "We are working on 3D space combat, its in the hands of the <insert Dev team> and hit some snags, but should be to you guys soon."
This kind of information keeps specific dates vague but still gives the hungry community information, it all gives the community the impression that you are listening without saying you are listening.

Darzil
06.01.2012 , 10:55 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Codek View Post
Why is it never practical to just give a deadline that is easily obtainable and then just surprise everyone with an early release of the content? For example, say major patches will come every 6 month but internally shoot for 3 per year (4 months).
Because then you lose all the players who think that once every 6 months is too little new content, and don't then sub. It's a delicate balancing act, and whichever way you do it, as all consumers have their own likes and dislikes, you can never please everyone.

SturmUndSterne
06.01.2012 , 11:14 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Mater_energy View Post
I fully understand why you use soon, and try not to mention specific dates until everything is 100% ready.
After reading Joveth's recent post about Server Transfers being almost complete and going into testing, I was wondering why you couldn't give us more information like that for systems that the community is eagerly awaiting?
For Example you could say: "We are working on 3D space combat, its in the hands of the <insert Dev team> and moving along as we expect", or "We are working on 3D space combat, its in the hands of the <insert Dev team> and hit some snags, but should be to you guys soon."
This kind of information keeps specific dates vague but still gives the hungry community information, it all gives the community the impression that you are listening without saying you are listening.
And they have said that. All of it. I'm sorry they don't say it once a week to keep you happy.

What you're asking is the literary equivalent of spending the first three chapters of a book in a series recapping every previous book in the series. Some authors do that, some don't. When the information is readily available by using the search function, then the devs here don't see that they need to recap every single previous devtracker post. You can do a little tiny bit of work and go back and do that on your own.

thomasgallant
06.01.2012 , 11:17 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by mikedee View Post
Sometime do your own data and check out servers lol. They got like 200k subs at most now...
200k..thats complete hogwash...there is no way they have 200k subs.. dont be foolish.. they are more likely at 800k or so..and they have already said profit is sustainable at 500k subs..

please dont try and pass your obviously biased opinion as fact.
"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." Obi-Wan Kenobi

kirorx
06.01.2012 , 11:40 AM | #18
"Soon" is FINE for MOST CONTENT.

SERVER TRANSFERS are something completly different.

You have paying costumers playing on dead servers, locked to their characters due to the implementation of Legacy.

This is preventing many players from commiting to the "reroll" something that is major draw here.

So in this situation, more is better. People need to know when they can get back to having a fun and not just playing the waiting game.

thomasgallant
06.01.2012 , 12:00 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by kirorx View Post
"Soon" is FINE for MOST CONTENT.

SERVER TRANSFERS are something completly different.

You have paying costumers playing on dead servers, locked to their characters due to the implementation of Legacy.

This is preventing many players from commiting to the "reroll" something that is major draw here.

So in this situation, more is better. People need to know when they can get back to having a fun and not just playing the waiting game.
you can not say people are locked into a specific server.. no one is stopping anyone from restarting on another server..and infact many people have and they have had nothing but great things to say about higher population servers..

dont make it seem like it is impossible..should we have to restart on a new server? no.. but can we? yes..
"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." Obi-Wan Kenobi

CondemnedShadow
06.01.2012 , 12:01 PM | #20
May 22 That was the date the real money auction house was supposed to go live. Devs. decided it was not ready so Diablo 3 did not get it when it thought it would. What happened? Very little, a few moans from some excited fans but guess what blizzard turned around and did?

June 12 They gave another date!! Unbelievable! How dare they reassure their community that something that want/need is going to be on a certain day. Will it be pushed back? Probably. Will people be disappointed? Yes, but on the off chance they are able to get it done and polished by June 22 praise will rain from the heavens as all of those blizzard fan boys shout from the mountain tops.

i hate to bring this up, but Diablo 3 is your competitor. If they do something well that builds positive goodwill with their customer base it might be a good idea to implement their operation practices until you can come up with something better. As it stands, Blizzard is kicking your *** and Diablo is not near as fun as SWTOR.