Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

mox parser malware

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tysir's Avatar


Tysir
06.01.2012 , 01:26 AM | #1
Just saying, watch out with these third party combat log parsers, ive been using "Mox Parser" since they released combat logs and now AVG tells me it found malware in that file.

50 Juggernaut / 50 Sniper / 50 Assassin / 50 Sorcerer

mjwalsh's Avatar


mjwalsh
06.01.2012 , 01:29 AM | #2
My AVG says it's clean, not worried about it.
W A L S H | T H E B A S T I O N
E T E R N A L D O M I N I O N
Swtor Guild

itsmymillertime's Avatar


itsmymillertime
06.01.2012 , 02:01 AM | #3
1. false positive
2. don't believe everything you read
3. mox uses networking protocol to gather data from multiple user computers for raid usage that may trigger a virus since real viruses do the same thing.

Pcolapat's Avatar


Pcolapat
06.01.2012 , 02:12 AM | #4
It is a good warning though. I have an old laptop that I download suspicious programs to first before I try it on my main PC.
Anything that is done repetitively can be done by a computer. That is why right brained people will eventually rule the world.

Tysir's Avatar


Tysir
06.01.2012 , 03:15 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by itsmymillertime View Post
1. false positive
2. don't believe everything you read
3. mox uses networking protocol to gather data from multiple user computers for raid usage that may trigger a virus since real viruses do the same thing.
Yeah i was thinking that it could have been a false positive for that reason.. but would rather give a warning considering these type of programs are new to several players.

50 Juggernaut / 50 Sniper / 50 Assassin / 50 Sorcerer

Goldenstar's Avatar


Goldenstar
06.01.2012 , 03:44 AM | #6
https://www.virustotal.com/

zip the directory and upload the whole thing there. It will scan all the files and check them against 40 different databases of known viruses/malware
Vent Rage [vR]

Anomorn's Avatar


Anomorn
06.01.2012 , 04:39 AM | #7
I remember when they were saying Curse was a keylogger because somebody's Avast had put it in the sandbox. That was pretty funny.

You children, and your illusion of a CCIE in security, amaze me.
Glowsticks of Nerf Dialogue
* World 3rd Tier Ⅰ Nightmare 16m * World 1st Tier Ⅱ Hard 8m *

Pcolapat's Avatar


Pcolapat
06.01.2012 , 04:46 AM | #8
My uncle is the family computer expert and I asked him about this AVG virus software someone recommended to me. His reply was to not come to him when I got a virus. I went with Symantec Endpoint Protection like he suggested. I don't know if one is better than the other, but I like having someone around who can help me with computer problems.
Anything that is done repetitively can be done by a computer. That is why right brained people will eventually rule the world.

BoMbY's Avatar


BoMbY
06.01.2012 , 04:55 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Pcolapat View Post
My uncle is the family computer expert and I asked him about this AVG virus software someone recommended to me. His reply was to not come to him when I got a virus. I went with Symantec Endpoint Protection like he suggested. I don't know if one is better than the other, but I like having someone around who can help me with computer problems.
I just call it Symantec Anti Performance ... because that's what it does to me (on my corporate workstation, where I have no choice).

Pcolapat's Avatar


Pcolapat
06.01.2012 , 05:06 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by BoMbY View Post
I just call it Symantec Anti Performance ... because that's what it does to me (on my corporate workstation, where I have no choice).
Well your work probably will not allow you to tweak some other things on it that could be slowing it down. Antivirus software is usually not the biggest culprit.
Anything that is done repetitively can be done by a computer. That is why right brained people will eventually rule the world.