Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What will be the point of Artifice/Cybertech post 1.3

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
What will be the point of Artifice/Cybertech post 1.3

foxmob
05.31.2012 , 04:19 PM | #21
Artifice and Cybertech (afaik) are for leveling. they are both relatively simple to RE for purple schems (unlike synth/armm, which have a variety of possible RE discoveries per item). Other than that, they've never been very good, especially artifice (tyvm BW ). I have no idea what the changes are in store for 1.3 though. I do see a similar problem at end game for these crafts as I do for synth/armm: if anyone can augment anything at an augment station, then there's no valuable raison d'etre for either craft.

geez. it's as if there wasn't already a decided advantage for biochem in this game...even after the slight nerf.
meh
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
TL;DR Bolster is meant to help entry level players, ranked PvP is not entry level PvP.

VanorDM
05.31.2012 , 04:27 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
if anyone can augment anything at an augment station, then there's no valuable raison d'etre for either craft.
You can only augment stuff if you have an Agument Kit, that is itself a crafted item. One that is only made by Synth/Arms/Armor.

foxmob
05.31.2012 , 04:53 PM | #23
yes. I know. so now crafters are just augment/kit makers. brilliant! (I don't like it. there's no variety/uniqueness. it has virtually nothing whatever to do with the actual craft or the supposed gear that the craft produces)

on the other hand, I don't care about selling stuff on the GTN. my server is a ghost server, so the GTN is useless anyway. But tbh, one planet's worth of dailies (e.g., Ilum) produces 150k easy. It takes approximately 30 minutes, including the time it takes to go out of my way and farm the bioanalysis and slicing nodes along my way and in the alternate faction's areas.

so maybe it's because i'm already on a ghost server (the courageous), but working the gtn and farming mats, REing, working for crit crafts...it's just never going to be worth it for the credits it brings in. I can buy anything in game (incl legacy) in less than a week of dailies (not counting comms purchases). so it's never been worth the headache to craft for credits. but I do like to play the game and put gear on alts and so on and so forth. as it looks now, there's no point in filling out a crafting catalog.
meh
TL;DR Bolster is meant to help entry level players, ranked PvP is not entry level PvP.

Veeius
05.31.2012 , 06:56 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by mothermoy View Post
cybertech will always be very valuable, as well as artifice. there are only so many commendations you can earn. its impossible to keep all your companions geared up. Its very easy, and with selling blue/purple armor mats, cybertech makes you a very tasty profit.
All of my companions are already geared. Given how much of a pain in the butt it is to gather, my alts generally just purchase armoring w/ planetary commendations. I'll make *1* set when they hit 50, but other than that, it's just not worth the time.

Honestly, if you're not biochem on your main, you simply don't understand the game. There are other ways to make money, and frankly, using your ONLY crafting slot on something that just makes money vs. makes your toon better at pvp AND pve just doesn't make sense.

The thing that makes me ruefully shake my head is BW ***knows*** this, and they have failed to fix it not once, not twice, but soon to be 3 times.

foxmob
05.31.2012 , 07:12 PM | #25
when it comes to leveling, artifice and cybertech are virtually the same (if you're trying to decide between the two). armors and hilts cose ~7 comms from planetary vendors. enhancements and mods cost 2 comms. I would suggest going with cybertech, because there are 7 pieces that you can slot armors into whereas only 1 or 2 (depending on your class) for the hilt. the mods and enhancements are mostly a push, but if you have orange wrists/waists (from legacy vendor), then there's only a mod and armor slot, making cyber more valuable as well.

finally, artifice can't even create "hilts" for all classes. if your alt's class uses a gun (e.g., scoundrel), you'd need armstech to create the barrel. so artifice is basically a mirror of cybertech in theory, but in practice you'll get a lot more out of cybertech while leveling.

as far as leveling with cybertech, it's much quicker than with armormech or synthweaving because you have the same chance of learning a new schem (20%), but there's only one new schem that you can learn (blue/purple). whereas with armormech and synth, there's a wide variety of (often useless, redoubt on cunning) schems that you may learn from the same piece, but you're still looking at 20% chance for any new schem.

I would not try this without a 50 that can stockpile UW mats.

I don't see any point to trying to make money on cyber (apart from the space stuff I guess), as the mats (from UW alone) make the cost of production vs. demand untennable. and the endgame...well....neither craft is worth much now, and won't be worth a damn come this 1.3 augment business. at least that's how I see it at this point. I'm desperately hoping that will change.
meh