Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Community Team General Update: May 31st, 2012

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Community Team General Update: May 31st, 2012
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Caspian_Rho
05.31.2012 , 04:20 PM | #211
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Like I've mentioned, we can't always share information right away, but it's always our goal to get information to the players about things that are important to you.

I've been here a few years... as intentional and clear as your goals maybe. The resoloution of those is quite low. As a member of the community, whatever side I may fall, I sense spin in that answer. I'm working to being a millionaire... you see my predicament??
What we need now as a community is not not pie in the sky rainbows and wishful thinking but some solidity from the devs via the community reps about real matters and issues. It's been a low point to date, issues are fine... issues that are ignored and sidestepped aren't.
Waiting for the definitive Star Wars sandbox mmo...

LagunaD
05.31.2012 , 04:21 PM | #212
Like I've mentioned, we can't always share information right away, but it's always our goal to get information to the players about things that are important to you.
This policy of iron-fisted information control, which goes back to before launch, should be re-examined.

Given that the lead Community Manager was just fired, clearly somebody has realized the old way of doing things was not effective. So why stick to it? Why double down on it?

The idea "we won't give dates or information until we're 100% sure" looks good on paper, but in practice I think it spares you none of the issues that are always cited to justify it.

If this development project is like any other, you have specifications and projected completion dates for any feature that will be added or changed in the foreseeable future. Why not communicate those regularly, and keep the community up to date? People are capable of understanding disclaimers ("Projected dates and features are best estimates, not guarantees").

Yes, sometimes dates will slip, or features will be cut. I can't see how that would be worse than "It's coming soon." Then weeks later, "It's still coming soon!" and weeks after that "It's really coming really soon!" This type of double-talk, however well intentioned to "protect us", actually projects the opposite of competence to the community who are your customers.
Dagoreth/Shadow - Martina/Sentinel - Sandrine/Commando - Silmara/Scoundrel
Jaysi/Gunslinger - Laranne/Sage - Lienke/Vanguard

Kischa/Juggernaut - Niobe/Assassin - Vixxa/Marauder
The Harbinger

Korusus
05.31.2012 , 04:25 PM | #213
Just want to pop in and say I'm very pleased with this turn of events, the community management has definitely been the weakest link since launch, it's nice to see some normal posts in this thread and less of the robotic PR posts that dominated in the past. Not the least bit surprising to see the personnel changes coming in the QA and PR areas.

I will say I don't envy you, it's going to be difficult to build the kind of trust and relationship 6 months into the launch where it hasn't existed up to this point.

Oddzball
05.31.2012 , 04:28 PM | #214
This is really great, and I'm glad you guys decided to come out and actually talk to the community like people instead of "robots".

Small comments and quips here really help people to recognize you as human beings instead of a faceless company.

It is also nice to see you are planning something along the lines of a specific community rep "representing" specific classes.

So if any of you want to answer, I have a question, not specifically SWTOR related, but, what games are you playing BESIDES SWTOR. I notice Allison said she was a gamer, what's she playing, or Joveth? etc etc.

I really think this is great either way that we might be getting more interaction from you folks. Heck I cant remember the last time any of you really had a conversation with us on the forums since beta except for Joveth..

XFrOzEnX
05.31.2012 , 04:29 PM | #215
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
I know Kung Fu.
This quote is now going in my sig! Win, that is all I have to say lol.

Oh and thanks for the post Joveth, I'm really glad to see you guys are still alive and listening to us. I for one appreciate the time you put into the post. Haters gonna hate. [Insert Meme Image] :P

BoMbY
05.31.2012 , 04:57 PM | #216
Quote: Originally Posted by lexiekaboom View Post
"no ranked war zones in 1.2"
How good of you to bring this point up again. I think this was the best example of what should NEVER happen. If there would have been an open communication about what the problems actually are, with the implementation of ranked warzones, a lot of people might have understood (but they didn't give a reasonable explanation up to today, as far as I know). I just can't believe they've figured out it wouldn't work hours before the going live? If this takes so long to fix, it must have been an extreme design flaw? If you pull stunts like the ranked warzone one, you should at least get someone to invent a very good lie to sell it to the community (maybe ask some politicians how to do this right).

Night_Hawke
05.31.2012 , 04:59 PM | #217
Quote: Originally Posted by AlysonBridge View Post
I play Bounty Hunter also... mostly because I like catching people on fire and using my jet pack.
Not surprised to see Jedi Knight left out. After all why would anyone choose them? every other class does anything the Jedi does just better and you get to see your hair....

BTW, Congrats to all of the changes! A Lot has happened this month! I'm curious if the restructuring of the Community team reflects to the referenced restructuring of the development team as well. Were they done with the same team structure in mind?

KeithGap
05.31.2012 , 05:11 PM | #218
Thanks for posting. I have to say I'm really impressed with Bioware's customer service approach and I'm really excited about the new organization. (But I'm geeky that way.)

Can I make a suggestion that you throw some pics of folks up somewhere on the site? It does tend to make people feel more human when you can see what they look like.

Deewe
05.31.2012 , 05:15 PM | #219
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
That's a very good question and the truth is that we're aiming for a future in which we have a closer collaboration between you folks, us (the community team), and the development team. I believe that with the new specialty initiative (the one I mention in the blog post), we'll be getting closer to that. Once the infrastructure is set up, the goal is to be more agile in responding to questions and concerns (from the community team POV). As for the game? Well, we're players too so we all have different opinions on this. I love exploring in our game, so I'd personally love to see new planets down the line.
One think you might want to consider is in game polls, after the login screen.

We all know many players never ever comes to the forums, that would be a great way to get real feedback from, you know... players

but unfortunately sometimes we're just not able to give more details until everything is 100% ready.
And there we go again.

IMHO you'd better just throw away this motto because, seriously, so far you delivered some not really well thought concepts or nor that well polished ones that it's embarrassing.

Few examples:
  • Non iconic 1.2 gear
  • Non iconic 1.2 legacy talents
  • Rackghoul event
  • Illum
  • Mandatory legacy names

Would you have communicated with your player base, before it was too late to tweak these features, you would have had the time to improve them and satisfy your player base... more instead of well, not pleasing them.

IMHO as long as you're sticking with your "100% mindset" you'll make less players happy than otherwise.

Quote: Originally Posted by AmberGreen View Post
Thus far, we’ve been able to address several of the prominent issues like the “jet engine”
If jet engine = speeder engine, since last patch (and maybe the one before too) I don't get jet engines sound at all but when I dismount. So I'm riding a sound cloaked speeder.... disturbing
(Edit: strangely... or not speeder sound seems fixed now. No more cloacking device :/ ^_^ )

Now more on this thread and communicating/feedback:
  • It's refreshing to read official posts that aren't condescending nor self congratulating nor accusing the player base either. (Edit: wasn't speaking about forum moderators BTW, but some well know devs).
  • Please no more Guild only summits. They are only one part of your player base. Think casuals and PUGS too.
  • The Q&A is nice but please don't ask us anymore to post questions on a subject we have no infos at all: ie patch 1.3.
  • Make sure to have the devs step down in the Q&A topics once up to do follow up on players question ; Ex. in this Q&A:
Quote:
Deewe: With the locked companion specs, some of us feel like being forced to use specific companions versus choosing them for their personality and look. Is there in the works any kind of feature mitigating this issue (hint: companions kits)?

Daniel Erickson (Lead Game Designer): Companions in BioWare games have always been fully developed characters with their own backgrounds and skills. While you can change between a couple different approaches with each, we do not presently have plans to make Companion Characters interchangeable.
It wasn't asked to make companions interchangeable so the question was answered sideways and none dev stepped in to clarify the answer.

Also IMHO this player well put post deserved an answer:
Quote: Originally Posted by Lakhesis View Post
I didn't think much of the response to Deewe's question on locked companions.

The actual content of the reply was reasonable - you want each companion to be special & stay true to your concept. I can strongly empathise with this... but...

I question to what degree your concept actually matters to us as players. Deewe's point that most players feel locked into one companion is quite reasonable. It is possible to do content with other companions, but it's often sub-optimal to the point of being a dangerous hindrance. There are certain companions which we virtually never see in fleet, and I'm betting that if you analyse your data to sort for player spec + companion + time-in-combat-together, you'll see that players are ignoring more than half your companion concepts en masse.

This is a player "choice", but a choice between "Works Well" and "Works Badly" is a false choice, and I'm not convinced that conceptual-purity is sufficient justification for forcing that sort of choice.
Anyway seems to me you are, finally, on the right track.
See you on the forums guys.
-----
[HOW_TO] Mouse look toogle

JovethGonzalez
05.31.2012 , 05:16 PM | #220 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Oddzball View Post
So if any of you want to answer, I have a question, not specifically SWTOR related, but, what games are you playing BESIDES SWTOR. I notice Allison said she was a gamer, what's she playing, or Joveth? etc etc.

I really think this is great either way that we might be getting more interaction from you folks. Heck I cant remember the last time any of you really had a conversation with us on the forums since beta except for Joveth..
When we start publishing more detailed profiles for each community team member, we'll talk about the games that we love. We're all pretty much gamers here on the team, but you may (or not) be surprised at how diverse our tastes are