Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Player vs Companion damage?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Player vs Companion damage?

DPCummerbund
05.30.2012 , 01:37 PM | #1
I know that companions only have access to a few skills/attacks, so they're not nearly as powerful as a player's character. Other than that, can a companion do as much "basic" damage as a player's character?

I'm trying to figure out how important it is to keep a companion well equipped - my feeling is that it's nearly as important as keeping my character well equipped. If I have a companion who uses the same gear, will it make a big difference if I give him/her my "hand me downs" vs. giving them the best stuff?

PaniMauser
05.30.2012 , 02:03 PM | #2
Haven't compared the exact numbers but decently geared damager companions hit pretty hard. When you get their main stat over 1k points, you may stop worrying about trash. Pick on the strongs and elites, companion will clear everyone else and will aid you afterwards.

Gearing your main companion is as important as gearing yourself while leveling. Makes things much easier. At endgame, that is more oriented on player groups, decking out companions is less important. You will use them only for dailies after the story ends.Though if you are active with the endgame content, soon you'll get surplus gear for your pets anyway.

Lady_Alyria
05.30.2012 , 02:10 PM | #3
It makes a big difference, specially if you are using a tank pet. I make every effort to keep my tank pet in at LEAST level appropriate blue gear, but I aim for purple. Now this depends on if you are fighting guys your level (I skip as many quests as possible), if you are doing all the quests and fighting mobs 4 levels below you then meh, toss them in some greens.