Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Companions in the wrong storyline

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Companions in the wrong storyline

Pubsam's Avatar


Pubsam
05.27.2012 , 04:24 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Gwena View Post
Having used Zenith from Balmorra til level 50 though, I think he is actually a very good fit, and of all the classes probably works with JC the best (a good foil, and all that). The Knight seems more action/combat oriented than the JC, so doesn't have as much need for someone like Zenith. I can't see Zenith having any interest in sticking around with a Smuggler, and he seems too independent to fit in with Havoc Squad.
Whaaa? Zenith deciding to join me on my ship was the biggest WTH ever. This guy is a freedom fighter who's spent years liberating a planet. Finally, yay! Balmorra is free, and Zenith is like, "Yeah, I guess I'll just leave now." Even if he is desperate to be a political player, I simply can't believe that he'd want to leave Balmorra. Further, he's officially the Balmorran representative to the Rift Alliance, why is he still taking orders from your Jedi? As for how he's in any way qualified for that diplomatic position in the first place...

And later his conversations are all about Balmorran politics and his aspirations. Dude. You want to be a Balmorran politician you should probably live there.

Don't get me wrong, I like Zenith a lot, but his story is poor. Maybe he fits best with a JC, but his story doesn't suit him to be a companion at all.
Time for a nap.

ekimmak's Avatar


ekimmak
05.27.2012 , 04:38 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by NgeneR View Post
Skadge is kind of sad--clearly a victim of bullying and thus a bully himself.

The only one I'm having trouble with is the SW--as a marauder, Quinn actually suits the play style best, but geez, I do not like the guy. I'm thinking about gearing up Pierce or Broonmark to tank.

Clearly, other people run with different companions, because they have created different philosophies and those companions fit in well.
True, but you don't always get said companions until very late in the game. A psychotic DS bounty hunter would get along with Skadge just fine, but you don't get him till act 3.

On your marauder, I'd actually recommend running Jaesa. Before my Sentinel got a healer, he teamed with Kira 24-7, and the battles were risky, but fast. Just learn the right rotations, and only the toughest of elites can stand against you.
Best way to end Smuggler Act 1 is
Spoiler

You can't make up stuff like that.

Maaruin's Avatar


Maaruin
05.27.2012 , 05:31 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Pubsam View Post
Whaaa? Zenith deciding to join me on my ship was the biggest WTH ever. This guy is a freedom fighter who's spent years liberating a planet. Finally, yay! Balmorra is free, and Zenith is like, "Yeah, I guess I'll just leave now." Even if he is desperate to be a political player, I simply can't believe that he'd want to leave Balmorra. Further, he's officially the Balmorran representative to the Rift Alliance, why is he still taking orders from your Jedi? As for how he's in any way qualified for that diplomatic position in the first place...

And later his conversations are all about Balmorran politics and his aspirations. Dude. You want to be a Balmorran politician you should probably live there.

Don't get me wrong, I like Zenith a lot, but his story is poor. Maybe he fits best with a JC, but his story doesn't suit him to be a companion at all.
If I understood it correctly, it was a political decision. He was the freedom fighter on Balmorra and should have been part of Tai Cordans government. That was what he wanted and what he expected.

But Tai didn't want it. Probably they would disagree on many topics. Probably Zenith didn't fit into the government he imagined. But on the other hand, he couldn't just ignore him because of his role in the resistance. So what did he do? He shunted him off to your ship as "representative to the Rift Alliance", even if Tai is on the holo in nearly every conversation.

But Zenith doesn't give up and still tries to get hes place in Balmorran politics.

And who does he take orders and follows you around? In the first conversation he said something along the lines: "The security here is bad." so I made him my personal security chief. ("Well, now I have you to watch my back.") He liked that. So it is kind of his second job now.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

davanev's Avatar


davanev
05.27.2012 , 11:48 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Velaran View Post
You know, the point of these companions are to clash with your character. Whoever you make them into, you'll dislike someone on your crew.
Which was a great idea - right up to the point where they removed our ability to throw them out of the airlock.

ConCla's Avatar


ConCla
05.28.2012 , 06:24 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by davanev View Post
which was a great idea - right up to the point where they removed our ability to throw them out of the airlock.
ಠಠ__ಠಠ

Pubsam's Avatar


Pubsam
05.29.2012 , 09:36 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
If I understood it correctly, it was a political decision. He was the freedom fighter on Balmorra and should have been part of Tai Cordans government. That was what he wanted and what he expected.

But Tai didn't want it. Probably they would disagree on many topics. Probably Zenith didn't fit into the government he imagined. But on the other hand, he couldn't just ignore him because of his role in the resistance. So what did he do? He shunted him off to your ship as "representative to the Rift Alliance", even if Tai is on the holo in nearly every conversation.

But Zenith doesn't give up and still tries to get hes place in Balmorran politics.

And who does he take orders and follows you around? In the first conversation he said something along the lines: "The security here is bad." so I made him my personal security chief. ("Well, now I have you to watch my back.") He liked that. So it is kind of his second job now.
As I said, even if he's desperate to get into politics, I find it implausible he'd want to leave Balmorra. Without Cordin's approval I'd see him staying on Balmorra and organizing grass-roots to get him that opposition leader position he wanted. And in the main story once he gets that position, his reason for staying on the Jedi ship...?

And by taking orders, I meant that he functions like any other companion who do whatever you say whenever you want. Zenith has an important(?) diplomatic post, but I'm constantly sending him on long Underworld Trading missions, pulling him off the ship to shoot Belsavis miscreants, etc.

All the other companions are vested in your character somewhat. Nadia's your padawan, Iresso's officially stationed there, Qyzen thinks you're a demigod... maybe not Tharan, but you've provided a comfortable lifestyle for him so he's likely dug in like a tick. Also, there's not anywhere else he wants to be. Zenith dislikes Jedi stuff and is pursuing a dream that will realistically require him to live on Balmorra.

I like Zenith's character, there's some interesting ways you could introduce a cold, ruthless type into the JC's story, but this approach was just... bizarre.
Time for a nap.