Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Coruscant Matrix Shard Trouble and 2 Questions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Coruscant Matrix Shard Trouble and 2 Questions

KevinMcDowell
05.27.2012 , 07:50 PM | #1
Hey all, I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to get the yellow matrix shard on Coruscant for quite a while now. I always get to the upward slanting section of pipe, in the room with the shootout going on below, where a jump to a higher section of pipe is necessary. At this point, I jump, never high enough to make the next pipe section, and am knocked sideways to the ground and forced to start again.

My question is, am I doing this wrong, or do general abilities (such as jump height) increase with rank? I am level 30, so I have a feeling it is just me, but I am having so much trouble I thought that I'd ask.

One final question- navigating the narrow pipes is made tougher by the relatively wide "turn radius" of my character. In other words, one tap of A or D produces such a drastic turn that I find myself zig zagging dangerously to try to stay on the pipes. Is there any way to reduce the minimum turn radius of a character? Has anyone else noticed that it can be a bit difficult to make fine adjustments to walking trajectory?

Any advice/ comments greatly appreciated.
"Do, or do not... There is no try."

cxten
05.27.2012 , 08:03 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by KevinMcDowell View Post
At this point, I jump, never high enough to make the next pipe section, and am knocked sideways to the ground and forced to start again.
This happened to me a few times. If I recall correctly, all you have to do is not jump so close to the wall. Your instinct will be to stay as close as possible, but here it's wrong because you bounce off.

If you're really not getting enough height, try pressing forward and jump at the same time, from a standstill (practice on the ground first).

Quote:
My question is, am I doing this wrong, or do general abilities (such as jump height) increase with rank? I am level 30, so I have a feeling it is just me, but I am having so much trouble I thought that I'd ask.
They don't change.

Quote:
One final question- navigating the narrow pipes is made tougher by the relatively wide "turn radius" of my character. In other words, one tap of A or D produces such a drastic turn that I find myself zig zagging dangerously to try to stay on the pipes. Is there any way to reduce the minimum turn radius of a character?
Use your mouse to turn: Hold down the right mouse button and move the mouse.

Ideally you should do this for all parts of the game, as it's much faster and finer than keyboard turning. Also, holding down both mouse buttons runs forward (and holding down the left mouse button and moving the mouse pans your view).

Ellvaan
05.27.2012 , 11:56 PM | #3
Greetings everyone!

Cxten, we just want to thank you for taking the time to give such great and helpful tips to the thread author! We always appreciate when community members help each other.

Another resource that also may be useful regarding this question is the following community created guide in the New Players Fleet Pass: A Directory of Resources:
We hope this helps!

Erevan_Kindelar
05.28.2012 , 01:45 AM | #4
There are a couple of tricky jumps on that Datacron. I think the jump you are referring to is the one above the area where you get the "Enemies of the Republic" Heroic quest. If so, then you are probably jumping too late - you are still moving upwards when you hit the front edge of the pipe, so you just slide along it. It also helps to try and approach it absolutely square on, but as you are jumping to the corner of a pipe, there will almost always be some sideways movement.
However, if you jump too early, you will not make the jump, and get pushed sideways by the same pipe geometry
No, really! I am telling the truth, honestly! Look I can prove it, I am a politician! I am as honest as the day is long!
Besides, I am a terrible liar, everyone can see when I am lying - my lips are moving... oh damn, err, that last comment was off the record, right?

Sjuvat
05.28.2012 , 06:36 AM | #5
This one was a killer for me! I really needed the yellow matrix cube, and this was a major problem. I finally got someone else I know to do the pipes and they got it the first time! They were old pro's with the Mario games where you are always running and jumping.

Get someone else to try for you if all else fails. Practice jumping, try sprint on and off.

Good luck.

birdiegirl
05.28.2012 , 08:22 AM | #6
i too had trouble jumping until a friend very patiently, and I mean patiently, showed me how to jump in this game. the best advise i can give it to learn the forward/jump combo. There are many jumps that, unless you are super good at timing, require you to stand still, hit forward and jump at the same, to make. The main thing with the forward/jump combo is that your toon will take a step then jump. So you want to make sure that you have room for that step. a good example is the datacron +3 Aim for Empire on Nar Shaddaa. you have to ride a slow hovercraft. to get to the roof you need to get on some shelves. Now I am sure that some folks can do a running jump to get onto the roof, but for me, I tried for an hour and could never make it up there. As soon as I learned how to do the forward/jump, I made it the first time I tried it. Don't give up and come back and let us know if these tips helped you out any.
zoom zoom

KevinMcDowell
05.28.2012 , 08:31 AM | #7
Thanks everyone, I went back armed with the new forward/ jump move, and got the matrix shard on my second re-try. I cant believe how much easier it is when you can use the forward jump combo. This allowed me to back off a bit from the pipe I wanted to get onto, which I think was my problem. I am a bit embarrassed that I had not stumbled across the mouse turning thing by now, but that is helping a lot as well, makes moving much easier. Thanks again!
"Do, or do not... There is no try."

Mithros
05.28.2012 , 09:09 AM | #8
For fine maneuvering, turn off sprint.

It's a lot easier to shift slightly to the left if you are not trying to do so at full speed.
You may also find that it is easier to make some jumps with sprint off, as well. If you overshoot the mark, then try it at normal run speed.
Beta Squadron 157

As long as we remember, it's never really gone.

lordofdamornin
05.28.2012 , 12:37 PM | #9
Republic side got seriously screwed in regards to datacrons on both Coruscant, and Nar Shadaa. The Empire equivalents are not nearly as difficult to obtain.

It seems that at some point in development, Bioware realized that using round objects does not promote easy platforming, and largely stopped doing it, but didn't go back and change some of those early Republic datacrons.

If you are having problems making jumps, most of the time the solution is to turn off Sprint. Most of the time. Some jumps do require Sprint to make (if you are not a Consular), but a lot of them do not.

Make friends with a tank-spec Commando (Vanguard?), a Sage, and a Gunslinger. They can make your datacron grabbing much, much easier, assuming they can negotiate the tricky parts for you.

Rit

Valakhnarr
05.29.2012 , 07:21 AM | #10
As other people have pointed out, turn off Sprint for finer control, especially on jumps where you might overshoot the target. For even finer adjustments, toggle run/walk (usually the / on the keypad), then use tiny applications of strafe right/left to better align yourself, which is especially useful on narrow pipes or other walkways.