Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Quest: The Plitics of Dissent (spoiler?)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
Quest: The Plitics of Dissent (spoiler?)

Ravshar
02.15.2012 , 02:16 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Writetyper View Post
The parcel supposedly contains something that would "bring the senator's plan to public". If he is truly simply planning to speak his mind while "upholding what the Republic stands for", why hide it? What kind of democracy lies in secrecy?
Getting darkside points for trying to reveal some evil senator's plans to betray the republic is mindboggling.

Personaly I think this quest was put in just to show how confusing the political situation is there, but it failed. Its painfuly obvious that the senator is the "bad guy". The person who stops you doesn't even argue on that point. Merely that I am interfering with the political process and some gibberish about not letting him have his own view or soemthing. When all my character was doing is letting everyone else know what his hidden view/plan/whatever was.

If the negative points were because of the method of doing it, then you should get just as many darkside points for lying to and decieving the person you are supose to be working for. A MUCH better way to express the confusion and corruption is if the documents had turned out holding some other sort of sensitive information, and you wound up destroying a senators career that was loyal to the republic.

In the long run. I don't think that one light/dark choice will make that much difference though.

Jedikillar
05.25.2012 , 10:30 AM | #32
well, either you can stop him from helping the empire to take over and cause no free speech whatsoever, and get light side points, or you can hold up his personal free speech and get dark side points.

i also love how when you take the dark side choice of taking the plans, the senator page that was being all nice and kindly asking you not too becomes suddenly like evil, and determined to make his evil plans come true.
There is no emotion, there is peace; Through peace, I gain strength; Through strength, I gain knowledge; Through knowledge, i gain power; Through power, I gain serenity; Through serenity, I gain victory; Through victory, I gain harmony; Through harmony, I find there are no chains, there is the force
Cry Havoc, and let loose the dogs of war!

Velaran
05.25.2012 , 02:01 PM | #33
Does anyone seriously think the senator was ever going to get anywhere? By taking the parcel, you've violated the tenets the Republic supposedly stands for, putting your own beliefs above the democratic process. If you don't take the parcel, the senator is going to get shot down soon after proposing any governmental changes, and he'll probably lose the support of his constituents.

This isn't a mixed up choice. It's a matter of your character believing him/herself above the Republic.

lokdron
05.25.2012 , 04:44 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Velaran View Post
Does anyone seriously think the senator was ever going to get anywhere? By taking the parcel, you've violated the tenets the Republic supposedly stands for, putting your own beliefs above the democratic process. If you don't take the parcel, the senator is going to get shot down soon after proposing any governmental changes, and he'll probably lose the support of his constituents.

This isn't a mixed up choice. It's a matter of your character believing him/herself above the Republic.
Yup some of these people would make great sith.
You have seen it, you have felt it within you as you have traveled with me. The growing anger, the rage, and the power it brings. Yet the power does not build without struggle. Through small cruelties greater ones are born. Kriea/Darth Traya
Dark side eye topic make your voice heard if you want canon movie sith eyes!

KorinHyvek
05.26.2012 , 08:39 AM | #35
*facepalm* The senator is not betraying the republic in ANY way shape or form. He is attempting to improve Diplomatic relations with a foreign power with which the Republic is currently at peace, and cut ties to an organization he sees as corrupt and meddlesome (Corrupt, debatable. Meddlesome... Definitely. I'd like to think the Jedi do more good than harm with their meddling, though). Now, we know "Sith are bad and Jedi are good," but he's certainly entitled to his own opinion. This is essentially you making the decision whether or not to commit the Watergate burglary.

Is the senator telling his constituents the full truth about his plans? I dunno. I highly suspect that at the very least, the senator is a public supporter of improved relations with the Sith, and a vocal critic of the Jedi*. The quest doesn't say (Oh, for access to proper dialogue trees). But if we started sacking politicians for not telling their constituents about their full plan... I don't think we'd have any politicians left.

*Which are not that uncommon opinions in the Republic at the moment, really.
The Ferrin Legacy, Ebon Hawk
Major Volner Ferrin // Darth Hessar

Rastellus
01.07.2013 , 04:11 AM | #36
I love this game and I love Star Wars but I cannot stop feeling there is something inherently wrong with the morality system presented by the lore, and this quest just proves it. It just goes against common sense.

Supposedly the emotions always get you to the dark side even good ones like love, at least if you are a force user, right?. If you are strong in the force through emotions, you are strong in the dark side. But that's just a ludicrous simplification because according to the story it will make you necessarily evil. And the game allows you to be a "good" sith strong in the light side, but one that keeps doing emotionally things everywhere.

Annnnnd the game let's you go around force persuading as a Jedi with no bad consequences at all. I mean that's just creepy you are twisting peoples minds and they know nothing about it. But if you are a sith and shock someone or force choke another, immediatly you get "dark side points!" because physical violence is really bad but telepathic meddling not so much apparently.

And then again is interesting how through some empire quest chains you are explained that the jedi fear emotions and the sith just fear everything... so actually the dual nature of the light/dark dichotomy is just a great illusion ruled by fear and there is some hidden "middle path" somewhere, which is better.

In the end when you break the suspension of disbelief with contradictory quest like these, you realize that the canon has huge huge plotholes, like everywhere! that yes, probably will be fixed sometime (retcon much?), but it doesn't mean they weren't there for starters.

_Darkstar
01.09.2013 , 05:40 AM | #37
OMG correct the spelling in the title!
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

errant_knight
01.09.2013 , 12:35 PM | #38
The light side choice here is to support the free democracy of the republic, not undermine it by doing something that is obviously illegal and underhanded. As far as jedi are concerned, the ends don't justify the means.

This is a good example of why the jedi story is far more interesting than people give it credit for being. While the warrior story may have a more visceral sense of ever-present physical danger, the knight story has a more subtle danger that is also ever-present and grows as the story progresses. Time and again, you are presented with choices in which the dark side choice seems as viable or even more than the lightside choice when one's goal is taken into account.

If one is truly playing the story and not just making lightside/darkside choices by rote, it is VERY difficult to be untouched by the darkside--which is as it should be. The darkside is tempting and no one ever said it's easy to be a jedi. It's entirely possible to end up very 'grey,' indeed, and still believe that one has done the right thing all along, which is also as it should be. In my opinion, the jedi story and choices are among the best in the game and lend themselves to both replaying the class and RP very well. My level 50 knight ended up being far more of a Je'daii than a jedi.

Agrana
06.14.2013 , 10:33 PM | #39
While I agree the light side choice is correctly set at letting the senator speak his ideas out (for reasons stated already by others above), the quest is still poorly coded. Because when I do this, I still take the rewards from my "employers" and even fool them by false documents. That can be hardly "light" and "honorable" action. There should be a chance to tell them the truth, that I changed the mind and decided not to help them. With a plea to see the reason behind it and understand it and drop the issue.

JediRelentless
08.08.2013 , 10:08 PM | #40
Maybe you should not assume that the quest giver is being honest.