Need upgrading system help

kaoticknuckles

Your video is way underpowered, start there.

Go 64 bit OS and add more memory.

CPU is slow and could be improved.

Disk I/O is also bottleneck is this game so SSD helps a lot.

It would probably cheaper to buy a new system.

You can probably find a decent new pre-built system for $500-$600. Not a gamer machine but it will be a lot better than what you have.

http://www.frys.com/ads

http://www.frys.com/template/computerspc

Edited by Owsley

I was wondering what should i upgrade to get a better performance out of this game? Here are my specs

running windows vista

video card is a geforce 9550

ram 3gb

processor Intel pentium dual cpu e2200

In my opinion, all elements of that system could do with being upgraded to play the game, but the upgrade options are always difficult.

Breaking it down:

Windows Vista - upgraded to Windows 7 (probably Home Premium version). Vista is a bloated old dog of an OS, and I feel I am pretty safe in saying that 99% of computers using it would run better with Windows 7 and no additional system upgrades.

Video card Geforce 9550: It was a budget card when it was released (in 2004, if I recall correctly), so this is probably the biggest thing that will hold the system back. However, if the whole system is 6-8 years old like the graphics card, then investing in a new card without upgrading the rest is probably not going to improve things much, so your upgrade investment will be wasted.

Memory 3GB RAM: I would recommend 4GB RAM, or if you do not mind going with a 64-bit operating system, 8GB (for a 32-bit version of any OS, 4GB is the absolute upper limit). This is probably the cheapest upgrade you can do. However, the performance benefit from simply upgrading the memory on its own will be minimal.

CPU E2200: For general computing work, this is fine, even though the CPU is 5 years old. It will run Windows 7 fine, Word and Excel will give no problems and it would be a perfectly respectable office PC workstation for the vast majority of people. But for playing games, especially newer titles like SWTOR, it would need an upgrade. That would also mean upgrading the motherboard in the system, and probably a RAM upgrade as well, so the CPU upgrade works out to be one of the more expensive options on the table for you.

Sorry I cannot come with any better news for you.

i do plan on buying a new computer soon. So i guess just buying one first is a good improvement over what i have?

Yes, don't waste money on an upgrade (unless you can reuse the componants on your next machine, like monitor, gaming keyboard, etc), spend it on a new build.

Edited by Owsley

One more question when buying a new computer should i look for mostly the processor? Also i plan on keeping my video card for now. Want to buy the new computer first. Is there a website i can go to that shows what the most recent processors and video cards are besides the manufacturers websites Edited by kaoticknuckles
Adding

One more question when buying a new computer should i look for mostly the processor? Also i plan on keeping my video card for now. Want to buy the new computer first. Is there a website i can go to that shows what the most recent processors and video cards are besides the manufacturers websites

This is great website for comparing products: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2

As for buying a new PC, you need to consider the entire system, not just the CPU when deciding what to purchase.

Building your own computer would save you a lot more money, though. Honestly, it's not hard at all either.

One more question when buying a new computer should i look for mostly the processor? Also i plan on keeping my video card for now. Want to buy the new computer first. Is there a website i can go to that shows what the most recent processors and video cards are besides the manufacturers websites

The number one issue with this game is related to video card performace. Your card is really bad. This is the first thing you should buy. Don't reuse junk. Also, the interfaces have changed over the years so it makes no sense trying to reuse an old card. You might not be able to find compatable or updated drivers. You can get a really decent card for under $100. With everything going to DDR5, the DDR3 cards have really dropped in price.

Edited by Owsley

Really that's not worth upgrading sorry to say that.

Build your own! You can build a really good gaming system (i3 2120 with a 6870 video card) for $700 reusing your monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers. If you have a 7200 RPM hard drive you can reuse it and your DVD/CD drive if they have SATA connectors saving about $100 off of that so now were down to about $600. Maby reuse the case if it has 2 fans (front and back) to save a few more bucks.

EDIT: PM me if you wish as this will be closed soon.

Edited by blowmedown

Greetings everyone!

Welcome to the forums! We have a few threads that are dedicated in assisting you with any technical questions you have in regards to specs and help in order to run Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. You can find these links and more in our New Players Fleet Pass: A Directory of Resources

As a reminder, our Minimum System Requirements found in our FAQ are as followed:

What are the system requirements for the game?

Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better

Operating System:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later

RAM:

Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM

Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM

Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.

Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

ATI X1800 or better

nVidia 7800 or better

Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better

DVD-ROM drive – 8x speed or better (required for installation from physical editions only) Internet connection required to play.

We are going to go ahead and close this thread but ask that you please continue your discussion in one of the following:

Desktop Hardware Q&A

Looking to Build a New Machine?

Budget Gaming PC Thread v2 - Post your builds to help other players!

If you are looking to increase your performance, we have the following guides that may assist you:

The Ultimate guide to speeding up win 7 on low/mid range systems ready for TOR!

Ultimate* Desktop PC Performance Guide

We hope this helps!

On a side note, thank you to everyone who responded and assisted the thread author! :jawa_smile:

Edited by Ellvaan