Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is the best ranged dps class for pvp?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
What is the best ranged dps class for pvp?

Sabredance
05.22.2012 , 01:45 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRaika View Post
sniper is the easiest ranged pvp dps class to play at around 80% effectiveness.
This vote goes to Pyrotech Powertech.

Larry_Dallas
05.22.2012 , 02:09 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRaika View Post
you don't understand pvp. It is not madness sorcs. If a madness sorcs dots are major help then the other team was going to lose horribly anyway. Madness sorcs are one of the best classes for dmg on the chart, however they are not anywhere near being a good competitive pvp class. Dots look good on charts, burst looks good for winning. People like you made sorc boring and made me a sad panda.
Know what you're talking about before telling someone they don't know what they're talking about. If a madness sorc is in an engagement, doting every target, bursting/deathmarking 3 and double doting two, every encounter now becomes unbalanced in favor of the burst fighters on the sorc's team.

Say a marauder pulls off to deal with this irrelevant class. Well, those DoTs are still up, anyway, and, assuming that marauder is not carnage (people like you don't know to roll Carnage, which benefits groups, instead of Annihilation, which gives 1 person a bunch of medals), he's been removed from the encounter (further benefiting the sorc's group) kited out and, since he's not smart enough to know to roll carnage, probably, ultimately killed.

Say a healer cleanses everyone. How many GCds has he now wasted when he otherwise would have been healing?

So-low
05.22.2012 , 02:52 AM | #23
For 1 vs 1 PvP definitely Gunslinger/Sniper. Their crits are crazy. They are also the best at taking out healers.

For big damage numbers, I would pick sage. They have a lot of starting resource to work with, and they can heal themselves too.

However, this is a generalization. If you pick either class, learn the rotations that work for you to perfection, gear up, and know what abilities to use, and when, to stay alive, then you will pwn all nubs.

Whoever said that vanguard dps was ranged is just wrong. If you are playing vanguard as only ranged, then you are doing it wrong.

DarthRaika
05.22.2012 , 05:02 PM | #24
Lol Larry. My guess is this is the first game where you felt like you were good. You fight a lot of pugs and spread dots and get huge numbers. Either that or you were one of the Necros early on in Rift. Lol.

By the time you are finished spreading your dots the well played burst player has already killed 2-3 of the other team's biggest threats.

Now I'm not saying sorc is worthless as sorc has several of the best huttball skills. Also, sorc can still heal pretty well if you pay attention to your positioning and/or have support. Anyone who is actually good at pvp both as a pug player and a premade player against both pugs and GOOD premades knows that burst trumps dots. If the match is a runover the burst player would have killed them faster and if the match is near even the burst player can tilt it.

DarthRaika
05.22.2012 , 05:04 PM | #25
and i agree that ptech is the easiest class to play (especially if you have any support at all, duo is fine) at 80% but I mean if you are playing it at 80%+ then you aren't really a ranged player at least relative to sniper,merc,sorc, etc.

Fafryd
05.22.2012 , 05:50 PM | #26
AVG/Pyro is a melee range class. You need to be able to reproc HIB and that can only happen with abilities with 4/10m ranges. The damage at 30m is very mediocre in all specs.

So this thread comes down to:
- Gunnery Commando
- Assault Commando
- Gunslinger
- Sage

TRUEJEDIBLOOD
11.16.2012 , 02:38 AM | #27
To the op, roll a sniper. To the nub who said powertechs are range, learn the class

Karkais
11.16.2012 , 02:43 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Sabredance View Post
This vote goes to Pyrotech Powertech.
Last I checked Pyrotech doesnt count as ranged.
"Their strength became my own. Their minds became my own. All flesh is my flesh. None move, save I will it. This is the rule the Sith were promised, and I have made it real!"
- From the codex of Karness Muur

AboB
11.16.2012 , 08:47 PM | #29
Holy reanimated corpse Batman!