Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

I don't understand how a Sith society could exist.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
I don't understand how a Sith society could exist.

Keefinlolol's Avatar


Keefinlolol
05.19.2012 , 05:27 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by gabarooni View Post
Really I mean no one trusts anyone,everyone is out to get everyone, muder is rampant and secretly encouraged, the proudest moment of a Teachers life is when their student tries to kill them, and even when surrounded by hundreds of other Sith each one stands alone.

Really how could any Society not only Exist but at some points in time Thrive? Not to mention the fact that they some how achieve Cities and galaxy wide space travel and super technology.

Just seems a bit far fetched for me i've read every book from The Dark Nest trilogy to Apocalypse and it still dosen't possible to me that they have ever managed to bring their society out of the dark ages lol.

P.S. Im a bad spell but I dont care
The Emporer. He's the only thing keeping the Empire together. Without him, the Dark Council would dissolve and each Darth stake their own claim on the throne and fight to the death for it, or even retreat and take over entire star systems and declare their own empires. He's the most powerful Sith alive and as a result, the one Sith every other Sith is piss-pants afraid of.

Shlamorel's Avatar


Shlamorel
05.19.2012 , 06:45 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by gabarooni View Post
Really I mean no one trusts anyone,everyone is out to get everyone, muder is rampant and secretly encouraged, the proudest moment of a Teachers life is when their student tries to kill them, and even when surrounded by hundreds of other Sith each one stands alone.

Really how could any Society not only Exist but at some points in time Thrive? Not to mention the fact that they some how achieve Cities and galaxy wide space travel and super technology.

Just seems a bit far fetched for me i've read every book from The Dark Nest trilogy to Apocalypse and it still dosen't possible to me that they have ever managed to bring their society out of the dark ages lol.

P.S. Im a bad spell but I dont care
Based on what I've seen in this game (not necessarily the extended universe), I agree with you 100%

The game makes it seem that every single Sith is deceiving someone else for greater gain. Surely, that isn't the case... but even if it was, you're right: there is no way such a society could continue to function.

I feel that the game tried a little too hard to force Sith to be "bad guys." Even "bad guys" have reasons for their actions - it seems most of the Sith characters I came accross on my Sith alt are evil just to be evil.
Shlamorel Sta'raeth - Jedi Seer
Dragonbrand
------------
I vow to try and respond in a constructive and positive manner

Lewisgil's Avatar


Lewisgil
05.19.2012 , 12:00 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Shlamorel View Post
Based on what I've seen in this game (not necessarily the extended universe), I agree with you 100%

The game makes it seem that every single Sith is deceiving someone else for greater gain. Surely, that isn't the case... but even if it was, you're right: there is no way such a society could continue to function.

I feel that the game tried a little too hard to force Sith to be "bad guys." Even "bad guys" have reasons for their actions - it seems most of the Sith characters I came accross on my Sith alt are evil just to be evil.
Sith do scheme and plot against one another constantly. There are constant power plays as the Sith Culture is driven by the Dark Side which naturally fosters an innate sense of competition. You have to be strong to stay in power, once someone thinks himself stronger he will go after your position, if you are not able to defend this position, you were not worthy of this position.
NAME: Altonraen
PAXIMPERIUS
Website | Recruitment Thread | Guild Profile

Jetflair's Avatar


Jetflair
05.19.2012 , 06:17 PM | #14
I think the main problem with Empire is that its hard to see connection between Siths, Emperor and rest of the population. In the original Star Wars Emperor looked more like scheming power player that tried to rule with fear, greed and bribery.

The TOR version is more like a Nazi Germany where whole society is mobilized for war. Problem is that while its easy to understand what Siths and Emperor believe its hard to understand what the general population believes in them.

Dark Side should obscure and twist things I think. Its about betrayal and dark deeds but when Siths are ruling class it bounds them to some morals or ideas. If it wouldn't population would not believe anything in them. I see that being truly evil would require Siths and Emperor not to reveal their true nature clearly. Instead they should work through others and only come forward publicly when needed. This way they could betray and twist much as possible.

Infact I'd expect Siths even hide true nature of war and twist in a way Republic would have started it. For evil bastards the Siths are bit too straightforward.

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
05.19.2012 , 11:44 PM | #15
Just my observations about Sith Society and interpretation:

It seems to be a pseudo-Darwinian "Survival of the Fittest" type of social structure. Murder isn't murder if you can prove the victim deserved it through either incompetence or weakness. Now, as far as advancement, it's VERY cutthroat. You COULD advance through competence and hard work, OR you can advance through manipulation and subterfuge, Or even a combination of both. It differs from the Darwinian model in that Sith Lords take apprentices that they EXPECT to at least make an attempt on the Master's life.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Ashlian's Avatar


Ashlian
05.20.2012 , 01:52 AM | #16
Historically speaking, as in right here on planet Earth, this kind of cutthroat political backstabbing and power plays existed during some of the most famous portions of Western history. In particular I'll refer you to some pop culture based on historical fact. The television shows "Rome" and "Borgia." Both about periods of history in which the rich and powerful held immense power and tools such as assassination, bribery and political corruption were bywords. Yet some of the greatest artistic, architectural, and literary achievements of Western society were created during each of these times. The person who referenced Niccolo Machiavelli was right on the money.

As for BW creating a game in which everyone playing a Sith is forced to be EVIL with a capital E, my Sith Inquisitor is decidedly amoral rather than immoral. She makes her decisions based entirely on practicality, and rarely kills unless it gets her something. She's a selfish creature, and if it's in her best interests to foster loyalty rather than simply killing, she'll do it. And the text is there in the game for her to do so if you wish.

It's entirely on the player to decide if they want to be bad for the sake of being bad, and boy, do a bunch of my guildies do that. You aren't required to, and I tend to think that there's probably quite a few Sith bright enough to realize you can achieve a greater power base when you selectively shelter your minions rather than brutalizing them. And that's what made the societies above successful for many years.....they offered things like coliseums and gladiatorial combat for the masses to watch in the heyday of the Roman Empire and public festivals and religious spectacles during the height of the Italian city states. I bet the vast majority of the Empire is, if not happy, then quite content with the status quo.

Velaran's Avatar


Velaran
05.20.2012 , 02:43 AM | #17
I think the main reason the Empire doesn't degenerate into chaos is because practically every Imperial citizen personally owes their existance to the Emperor, and by extension the Sith.

Aerevan's Avatar


Aerevan
05.20.2012 , 02:52 AM | #18
I always thought the Sith could come and go, but the Imperial bureaucracy (Navy, Intelligence) kept the show going on. Without them, the Empire would have fallen long ago.

Lewisgil's Avatar


Lewisgil
05.21.2012 , 08:52 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Aerevan View Post
I always thought the Sith could come and go, but the Imperial bureaucracy (Navy, Intelligence) kept the show going on. Without them, the Empire would have fallen long ago.
In Sith Society, the Imperials are the peasants to working class. Some may even hold high enough rank to equate to Middle-Class. The Sith are the top 1%. They are the Ruling Class. The Imperials are the infrastructure. While it may be true the Imperials monitor themselves, the Sith do not just "Come and Go" they are an ever present, work-at-home parent. While the lower ranking Sith are off fighting wars and such, the upper echelons of the Sith ensure the laws of the Emperor are conveyed to the Imperials.
NAME: Altonraen
PAXIMPERIUS
Website | Recruitment Thread | Guild Profile