Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR on a Mac

NicoleAnne
12.18.2011 , 01:14 AM | #1
Hey All--
Just wanted to let you know... I know Macs are not supported by SWTOR and that's all good. I wanted to ditch my beast of a PC gaming rig and go all Mac, but in order to do that I had to make sure I could get a seamless experience on a Mac.

I'm happy to report, the experience is beautiful. Here's what I tested.
  • Parallels and Win7 VM - Installer just wouldn't launch. When I manually copied the files over, would crash after splash screen
  • Parallels and Win Vista - Same as above
  • (It should be noted that Parallels would offer a compromised experience anyway, as system resources would be chewed up with two OSes)
  • Bootcamp and Win7 - loaded in flawlessly
  • Bootcamp and Win Vista - Also loaded in flawlessly

Right now, my in-game experience is beautiful. I'm running all my graphic settings on high at a resolution of 2560x1440. FPS is 60 at the moment, though I am a nub so only in unpopulated areas... slightly skewed test there.

It's fair to note that my machine is pretty maxed out. I don't know if lesser machines would have a similar experience.

I am on a 27" iMac purchased in September 2011. It contains:
  • 3.4GHz Intel i7
  • 16GB DDR3 RAM
  • AMD Radeon HD 6970M
  • Main OS is Lion, but should not affect game, as is separate partition

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I feel as if the amount of players on Macs may be limited as its unsupported, so just wanted to put my experience out there for documentation purposes.