Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

MMOs, the IP graveyard...

OpenSorce's Avatar


OpenSorce
05.19.2012 , 04:28 AM | #1
More and more I am coming to believe that MMOs are where IPs (Intellectual Properties) from other mediums go to die.
  • MXO: (Shut down) The last we will probably ever see or hear of the Matrix universe.
  • STO: (Currently F2P) the last vestige of the discarded "Prime" Star Trek timeline.
  • DCUO: (Currently F2P) The last of the old DC Universe before they discarded it.
  • Other IPs. I know there are a few more, just can't bring them to mind at the moment.
  • Now, perhaps, SWTOR: George Lucas has already said he will not make another Star Wars movie. With the exception of some "expanded universe" media and this game, this IP has passed. Everyday we see people on other parts of these forums begging BioWare to do more to keep us playing. Sadly, EA has made their investment back and then some. They no longer have to care.

I think sometimes that not being a creative force in the IP makes the MMO company not care so much and having sold out, the originators of the IPs lack the creative control or no longer care either. So the IP is used to make loads of money selling games and subscriptions until the last drop of blood is gone from it and it is truly and finally dead.
Notci Forever,
OpenSorce
www.SidusNoctis.com
The List

BlueFromMoon's Avatar


BlueFromMoon
05.19.2012 , 06:05 AM | #2
Well, It was coming I knew it after Aion how this play out, After Titan MMO landscape changes again, but theres big chance Titan makes a dam and water doesnt flow. Thats a problem. Elder Scroll Online is last huge IP before Titan.

Quote: Originally Posted by OpenSorce View Post
Sadly, EA has made their investment back and then some. They no longer have to care.[/LIST].
Are you sure about this, as far I know, first money goes to LA, then LA gets 10%, before EA start to get anything.

Shlamorel's Avatar


Shlamorel
05.19.2012 , 06:53 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by OpenSorce View Post
More and more I am coming to believe that MMOs are where IPs (Intellectual Properties) from other mediums go to die.
  • MXO: (Shut down) The last we will probably ever see or hear of the Matrix universe.
  • STO: (Currently F2P) the last vestige of the discarded "Prime" Star Trek timeline.
  • DCUO: (Currently F2P) The last of the old DC Universe before they discarded it.
  • Other IPs. I know there are a few more, just can't bring them to mind at the moment.
  • Now, perhaps, SWTOR: George Lucas has already said he will not make another Star Wars movie. With the exception of some "expanded universe" media and this game, this IP has passed. Everyday we see people on other parts of these forums begging BioWare to do more to keep us playing. Sadly, EA has made their investment back and then some. They no longer have to care.

I think sometimes that not being a creative force in the IP makes the MMO company not care so much and having sold out, the originators of the IPs lack the creative control or no longer care either. So the IP is used to make loads of money selling games and subscriptions until the last drop of blood is gone from it and it is truly and finally dead.
You're right... many do end up ending, failing, or going to F2P. However, if that IP (Intellectual Property) recouped its development costs to date, then it is/was a profitable endeavor.

Personally, I think we are on the verge of a market shift when it comes to MMOs and perhaps other games. There seems to be more distinction and confusion than ever with regards to whether game-makers should appeal to PvErs vs. PvPrs, or casual players vs. "hardcore" players (btw, I don't have definitions for what is casual vs. hardcore, just using common terminology).

I wish the MMO market would split into more niche markets... one theme park market and one sandbox market. This would probably help developers make games that are more appealing directly to their player base.

In fact, if I were a game company, I may consider developing 2 MMOs simultaneously, one that was primarily PvP-focused and another that was PvE focused (each could have elements of the opposite, these are just focuses). When it comes to technology (video games are no exception), you either innovate or lose to the competition.

Just my thoughts.
Shlamorel Sta'raeth - Jedi Seer
Dragonbrand
------------
I vow to try and respond in a constructive and positive manner

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
05.19.2012 , 08:23 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by OpenSorce View Post
More and more I am coming to believe that MMOs are where IPs (Intellectual Properties) from other mediums go to die.
  • MXO: (Shut down) The last we will probably ever see or hear of the Matrix universe.
  • STO: (Currently F2P) the last vestige of the discarded "Prime" Star Trek timeline.
  • DCUO: (Currently F2P) The last of the old DC Universe before they discarded it.
  • Other IPs. I know there are a few more, just can't bring them to mind at the moment.
  • Now, perhaps, SWTOR: George Lucas has already said he will not make another Star Wars movie. With the exception of some "expanded universe" media and this game, this IP has passed. Everyday we see people on other parts of these forums begging BioWare to do more to keep us playing. Sadly, EA has made their investment back and then some. They no longer have to care.

I think sometimes that not being a creative force in the IP makes the MMO company not care so much and having sold out, the originators of the IPs lack the creative control or no longer care either. So the IP is used to make loads of money selling games and subscriptions until the last drop of blood is gone from it and it is truly and finally dead.
yeah defently not where they go to die.

1. Matrix. yeah that was never going to be as big of an IP as star Wars or Star Trek.
2. The Prime universe died back with Star Trek Enterprise. But the overall Star Trek universe is going on strong with a hit movie and a sequel on the way.
3. DCUO ehhh the comic book universes reboot themeseleves several times. DC however is still going strong. Also wouldn't Arkham City be the last game in that version of the unvierse? anyway DCUO is a HUGE hit now since it went F2P. Course the big reason it went F2P was the sony hack. Shutting down your MMO for 2 months just after launch is an easy way to kill your playerbase.
4. We've already had 1 Star Wars MMO and that didn't kill the IP. As far as lucas and movies he said there would be no Episode 7 8 and 9. When he dies or just changes his mind we could still see new star wars movies. Just probably not sequels. Perhaps an Old Republic movie? Plus you have TCW and the new live action star wars show if that ever comes out.

But serieoulsy saying the Star Wars IP has passed is just insane. It's probably stronger then ever with an entire new generation of fans watching it on the big screen for the first time.

Temeluchus's Avatar


Temeluchus
05.19.2012 , 11:00 AM | #5
For your Other MMOs, you can add the StarGate MMO which got killed after a few years of development before it even released. I was actually kind of looking forward to it despite being a fringe fan.

Elder Scrolls, might be the one IP that makes it out of the MMO graveyard, it's way too early to tell and based on the fanbase's comments on various gaming sites, the hate and vitriol is already rampant.
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.”

Bluerodian's Avatar


Bluerodian
05.19.2012 , 12:32 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by BlueFromMoon View Post
Well, It was coming I knew it after Aion how this play out, After Titan MMO landscape changes again, but theres big chance Titan makes a dam and water doesnt flow. Thats a problem. Elder Scroll Online is last huge IP before Titan.



Are you sure about this, as far I know, first money goes to LA, then LA gets 10%, before EA start to get anything.
Just a minor correction. At this time, LA gets 35%.

Now then, ultimatly the life of TOR is in the hands of LA as any added content has to get LA approval to even be developed. If at any point in time LA decides that TOR isn't working like they want, expect anything pitched by Bioware to get stonewalled and EA would not be able to do anything about it.

Same thing happened to SWG, which is why it went so long without any new content.
Sarcasm is just one of my services.

Long time SWG player from Cradle to Grave. First Kettemoor, then Starsider.

BlueFromMoon's Avatar


BlueFromMoon
05.19.2012 , 10:20 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Temeluchus View Post
Elder Scrolls, might be the one IP that makes it out of the MMO graveyard, it's way too early to tell and based on the fanbase's comments on various gaming sites, the hate and vitriol is already rampant.
Aye, they were slightly disappointed its really Elder Scroll, not Skyrim Online, Ive a good feeling that if anything, just like me I grew up with it and I bet theres million of other, all gamers. Otherwise its just Blizzard's Tyranny really.

IceyFire's Avatar


IceyFire
05.19.2012 , 10:35 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Shlamorel View Post
You're right... many do end up ending, failing, or going to F2P. However, if that IP (Intellectual Property) recouped its development costs to date, then it is/was a profitable endeavor.

Personally, I think we are on the verge of a market shift when it comes to MMOs and perhaps other games. There seems to be more distinction and confusion than ever with regards to whether game-makers should appeal to PvErs vs. PvPrs, or casual players vs. "hardcore" players (btw, I don't have definitions for what is casual vs. hardcore, just using common terminology).

I wish the MMO market would split into more niche markets... one theme park market and one sandbox market. This would probably help developers make games that are more appealing directly to their player base.

In fact, if I were a game company, I may consider developing 2 MMOs simultaneously, one that was primarily PvP-focused and another that was PvE focused (each could have elements of the opposite, these are just focuses). When it comes to technology (video games are no exception), you either innovate or lose to the competition.

Just my thoughts.
Very thoughtful and good post. My two cents...

MMOs HAVE to appeal to a wide market to be successful due to the cost of development and operation. But SWTOR could have done that. A little more focus on some good PvP warzones... have 5 to 8 of them so their is always variety AND make cross server ques functional and they could have kept a large part of the PvP crowd at least. But with no sign of cross server ques coming anytime soon and no sign of server mergers, PvP is dead or dying fast.

PvE was done well in this game in my opinion. They focused on the leveling process first... fully voiced was awesome leveling. It is just the end game material that needs work and that is to be expected. You can only create so much content so fast. It takes time to develop a PvE Operations, Dailies, etc content level to make end game always fun.

Anyway, I welcome more of the communities thoughts.

Ellvaan's Avatar


Ellvaan
05.19.2012 , 11:23 PM | #9
Greetings everyone!

We appreciate the constructive discussion within this thread, however, we ask that threads revolve around discussion of the Star Wars Universe or Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. Since this thread is more about the discussion of MMOs and IP in general, we are going to close this thread.

You can find more information of the guidelines for this particular sub-forum in our stickied thread: STAR WARS Discussion Guidelines.

Thank you for your understanding!