Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Augment slot on all gear 1.3

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Augment slot on all gear 1.3
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

NermalDetonator
05.18.2012 , 12:22 PM | #151
Quote: Originally Posted by ProfessorWalsh View Post
So, you are saying that we should go ahead and put the highest level augments in *right now* so when the patch hits they will all be max level already?

I ask because I use a very low level piece of gear on my Jedi Sentinel (low level orange with augment slot) with the purple augment and the mods from my Battlemaster chest because it is one of the few pieces of gear I have found that look like something a Jedi Sentinel would wear.
Thats what it sounds like. Though I think you can just use any trash green 49 augment.

Sambril
05.18.2012 , 12:34 PM | #152
While I certainly do appreciate DavidHunt taking the time to come here and explain how it works and answer some questions, I can't say that I am pleased with the new system.

If I as a level 50 decide that I like the look of a particular level 20 orange item, I craft it, manage to beat the RNG and actually get a crit, you are telling me that the resulting slot it is useless unless I also make a Mk 6 kit and pay a 50k tax. There is no value in crits for items below level 49.

iceperson
05.18.2012 , 12:35 PM | #153
Quote: Originally Posted by Sambril View Post
While I certainly do appreciate DavidHunt taking the time to come here and explain how it works and answer some questions, I can't say that I am pleased with the new system.

If I as a level 50 decide that I like the look of a particular level 20 orange item, I craft it, manage to beat the RNG and actually get a crit, you are telling me that the resulting slot it is useless unless I also make a Mk 6 kit and pay a 50k tax. There is no value in crits for items below level 49.
The value is in you getting a really cheap lvl 20 item that your LIKE the look of...

GnatB
05.18.2012 , 12:58 PM | #154
Quote: Originally Posted by DavidHunt View Post
Your gear will have MK-6 slots. Here's how it works.

Existing augments will update to require a specific augment slot MK#. Any augmented item will have the greater of these two applied:

1) The crafted item's natural augment MK
2) The inserted augment's required MK

If you have level 10 items with level 50 augments, they will have MK-6 augment slots. If you have the same item without an augment inserted, it will have a MK-1 augment slot (same as if you crafted it after the patch).
Darn, there goes the idea of stockpiling pre 1.3 gear to sell post 1.3. One of the interviews had made it seem like pre1.3 gear would have the max augment slot, but I guess the interviewee just meant slotted gear with max augment slot would have the max augment slot.

Talorra
05.18.2012 , 12:58 PM | #155
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
A 50000 credit credit sink for the highest tier sounds a tad too expensive, especially for casual players that don't want to spend their limited online time grinding credits and instead do something fun instead. How much will getting an augment slot for a piece of cool appearance gear cost in the end? 50000 credits + cost of the kit + cost of the augment? That's may be well over 200000 credits per item on many servers. Considering many players struggle to even have that amount of credits, it seems way overpriced.

Currently, it's even hard for the casual player to keep up with repair and mod removal costs, let alone spend credits on anything else. I suggest you seriously reconsider and don't add another huge, unfun credit sink that punishes the casual player.
The game is tuned for gear without augments. Devs have said this a few times. No one needs to invest in them. If you don't like the cost, don't invest in the slots. You don't need to have them to participate in any of the current content.

And this is not a "casual = bad" message. BW is giving players who want to play the min/max end-game something, and it is not required to play. I don't see how it is punishment if you don't need to have it.
M'arik <Intrepid> 16-player Progression The Harbinger
IntrepidOps.com | Live Stream | Recruitment Thread | @Twitter

Sambril
05.18.2012 , 01:03 PM | #156
Quote: Originally Posted by iceperson View Post
The value is in you getting a really cheap lvl 20 item that your LIKE the look of...

You missed my point a little. It makes no difference if I get the crit on a low level item or not - I stll have to pay 50k to get the Mk 6 slot that I need. In that sense the crit has no value to me.

Quote: Originally Posted by Talorra View Post
The game is tuned for gear without augments. Devs have said this a few times. No one needs to invest in them. If you don't like the cost, don't invest in the slots. You don't need to have them to participate in any of the current content.

And this is not a "casual = bad" message. BW is giving players who want to play the min/max end-game something, and it is not required to play. I don't see how it is punishment if you don't need to have it.
While this is currently true, DavidHunt confirmed that augments will become part of our expected power level going forward - this will make getting aug slotted gear a necessity for the higher level content.

Felioats
05.18.2012 , 01:21 PM | #157

Augment stat distribution was indeed changed with the long-term expectation of gradually making them part of your expected power level.
When you say "expected power level," what type of content are you talking about? That you will expect players fighting end-game content to have them, or that you will expect people to have them when fighting the "trash mobs" in the open world?

Because to me, the former seems reasonable, while the latter does not.

Please be as specific as you can! There are many levels to content. Open world, heroics, flashpoints, operations, story mode, hard mode, etc.

Thanks!
>

flem
05.18.2012 , 02:22 PM | #158
Wait, so... augment slots can be added to WH relics, implants, etc?

Yikes. Here we go...
Jedi Covenant | Formerly: Squadron 840; Shii-Cho | Bring back warzone Tauntauns!

MorgothPl
05.18.2012 , 02:44 PM | #159
Any item.
You need to craft 10x equippable items from any skill in the same augment tier. In this case, that means any level 400 armstech weapon should suffice. In future tiers, it may be difficult to find cheap recipes. With the introduction of augment tables, all existing level 49+ gear is in the MK-6 augment category. At some point we'll introduce new augments levels that require MK-7, and at that time there probably won't be as large of a selection of items to RE to get them. As we introduce more items and tiers, the density of items you can RE to get MK-7 will increase, and MK-8 will eventually appear and continue along that cadence.[/color]
That brings other question - any lev 400 armstech thing will do? FOr example, will the reverse engineering of barrel 22, give same mats, as for example RE the "elegant assault cannon" lev 50 moddable orange?

Talorra
05.18.2012 , 03:10 PM | #160
Quote: Originally Posted by Sambril View Post
You missed my point a little. It makes no difference if I get the crit on a low level item or not - I stll have to pay 50k to get the Mk 6 slot that I need. In that sense the crit has no value to me.

While this is currently true, DavidHunt confirmed that augments will become part of our expected power level going forward - this will make getting aug slotted gear a necessity for the higher level content.
Aye, I missed that then. Thanks for pointing it out. In that case, it depends on where the "expected power level" applies. Is it end-game raiding at a HM or higher level? Or is it all end-game content, to include flashpoints and daily quests?
M'arik <Intrepid> 16-player Progression The Harbinger
IntrepidOps.com | Live Stream | Recruitment Thread | @Twitter