Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

PvP 101: How To Become A Contender!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP 101: How To Become A Contender!

Lunez's Avatar


Lunez
05.17.2012 , 01:52 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthPunitor View Post
...did that answer either of my questions?
Consider your requests added into the "Things to do" list. For every 1 item I add, 5 more things come to mind that should be added, and all I can say is that eventually, I'll have everything, but until then, small steps.

If you want to help me write any specialized sub-guides, I would love to add them. Better yet, if you make a separate post with your guide, I can link your thread to my thread, and organize it accordingly. If you write anything, let me know so I can update accordingly.

EDIT: I won't be adding UI info on this guide, namely because UI's are subjective to the perogative of the user, and vary depending on your keyboard, mouse, visual tastes, etc, etc. I suggest searching the forums for one of the many existing threads on UI's, as there are plenty to review. The forum search engine is a powerful tool that can unlock a great deal of info with even just a single word.

Good luck!

DarthPunitor's Avatar


DarthPunitor
05.17.2012 , 02:33 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunez View Post
Consider your requests added into the "Things to do" list. For every 1 item I add, 5 more things come to mind that should be added, and all I can say is that eventually, I'll have everything, but until then, small steps.

If you want to help me write any specialized sub-guides, I would love to add them. Better yet, if you make a separate post with your guide, I can link your thread to my thread, and organize it accordingly. If you write anything, let me know so I can update accordingly.

EDIT: I won't be adding UI info on this guide, namely because UI's are subjective to the perogative of the user, and vary depending on your keyboard, mouse, visual tastes, etc, etc. I suggest searching the forums for one of the many existing threads on UI's, as there are plenty to review. The forum search engine is a powerful tool that can unlock a great deal of info with even just a single word.

Good luck!
kk thank you
"Honor is a lie, a chain that wraps itself around those foolish enough to accept it and drags them down to defeat."
-Gauntlet of Kresh- -The Tai Legacy- -Subutai - Punitor - Machiavelli - Davikk - Orda- Guild Website - Sister Guild Site

Lunez's Avatar


Lunez
05.17.2012 , 02:35 PM | #43
Version 1.15
Updated: 5/17/12

Added a bunch of refinements to existing sections were added, whereby information was expanded upon, corrected, and/or improved upon. The following sections listed below were either added or updated as indicated. Added the beginning introductions to Mod-Ripping, and Rotations which will be laregly the next sections added to this guide.

ENJOY!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Daillies, Commendations, and Valor <---UPDATED
  1. Commendation Management <---UPDATED
2) Gearing up for Warzones
  1. Level 1: Recruit <---UPDATED
  2. Level 2: Battlemaster <---UPDATED
  3. Level 3: War Hero <---UPDATED
3) Expertise: What is it and what does it do? <---UPDATED

4) Joining a Guild
  1. Teamwork <---UPDATED
  2. Pre-Made Groups <---NEW
  3. VOIPs
5) Consumables, Rotations, and Skills
  1. Consumables <---UPDATED
  2. Rotations / Priorities <---NEW
  3. Skills: Taunt
6) The DO's and DON'T's of PvP

7) Warzone Guides
  1. Hando's Civil War Guide
  2. Malissant's Civil War Guide
  3. Almar's Civil War Guide
  4. Highcommander's Huttball Guide
  5. Almar's Hutball Guide
  6. Almar's Voidstar Guide
  7. YouTube: The Holoterminal Ep. 10- SWTOR Warzone Tips - SWTOR Guides & News
  8. YouTube: SWTOR - Warzone HuttBall PvP - Walkthrough
  9. YouTube: SWTOR - Warzone HuttBall PvP - Walkthrough
  10. YouTube: SWTOR - Warzone PvP Civil War - Walkthrough
  11. YouTube: SWTOR - Warzone PvP Voidstar - Walkthrough
8) Conclusion
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

flem's Avatar


flem
05.17.2012 , 03:21 PM | #44
Jedi Covenant | Formerly: Squadron 840; Shii-Cho | Bring back warzone Tauntauns!

DarthPunitor's Avatar


DarthPunitor
05.17.2012 , 04:46 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunez View Post
VERSION 1.15

Pre-Made Groups:

You will often hear people on the forums complaining about what is often referred to as a "Pre-Made". Ignore their complaints. Those people can't help you. Working as a team in well-organized groups is one of the leading indicators of those who you want to listen to. People who habitually work alone, storm off on lone rambo crusades, or resist working in an organized group-fashion, are doomed to failure. Working as a team is the heart of what SWTOR PvP is based around.
The rambo comment made me giggle

Right now I'm the pvp boss of a very organized pve guild (quite the contradiction, I know). I'm trying to structure my guild to be more pvp oriented but very few seem to be as commited to pvp as I am (most refuse to even get the recruit gear, and its difficult for me to persuade them to exchange their rakata gear for expertise). What would your advice be for leading a premade? In huttball organization is a little better but there isn't much we can do in warzones like voidstar (except splitting in half to call inc's easier).
"Honor is a lie, a chain that wraps itself around those foolish enough to accept it and drags them down to defeat."
-Gauntlet of Kresh- -The Tai Legacy- -Subutai - Punitor - Machiavelli - Davikk - Orda- Guild Website - Sister Guild Site

Lunez's Avatar


Lunez
05.17.2012 , 09:37 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthPunitor View Post
Right now I'm the pvp boss of a very organized pve guild (quite the contradiction, I know). I'm trying to structure my guild to be more pvp oriented but very few seem to be as commited to pvp as I am (most refuse to even get the recruit gear, and its difficult for me to persuade them to exchange their rakata gear for expertise). What would your advice be for leading a premade? In huttball organization is a little better but there isn't much we can do in warzones like voidstar (except splitting in half to call inc's easier).
I currently play on a PvE server, within a highly organized PvE guild who's primary focus is Endgame content, leaving PvP as merely a secondary after-thought.

In the teamwork portion of my guide, I mentioned that people should find themselves a serious PvE guild, and this is because Endgame Ops are a lot tougher than PvP content. They require a sense of mechanics and procedure that takes some serious effort to master. Therefore, there is nothing wrong with you being in a PvE guild.

Sometimes, people need to be visually shown why PvP gear is better than Rakata/Black Hole within a PvP setting. I suggest doing 1-on-1 duals within PvP zones (or even inside flashpoints) to show the physical difference. Another route would be to use the tough love method, and that is to set grouping rerquirements. If you do not wear PvP armor, then you cannot join the Group.

At the end of the day, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Our guild has incredibly strict guidelines. You follow orders, or you're out. Plain and simple. Just like when doing PvE. Our guild has 3 Ops groups, and the moment you don't listen to direction, you get kicked from the schedule and sent back to HM's until you can learn discipline. PvP happens to be a bit more lax with us, but due to the rigorous discipline within our Raids, our PvP groups are already tailored to be well-seasoned soldiers.

I wish you nothing but the best in your PvP endevers. Hopefully your guild members get their head out of their backsides and learn how Expertise boosts their stats far beyond their visible capabilities while within a PvP Zone and/or Warzone.

May the force be with you.

DarthPunitor's Avatar


DarthPunitor
05.17.2012 , 09:57 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunez View Post
I currently play on a PvE server, within a highly organized PvE guild who's primary focus is Endgame content, leaving PvP as merely a secondary after-thought.

In the teamwork portion of my guide, I mentioned that people should find themselves a serious PvE guild, and this is because Endgame Ops are a lot tougher than PvP content. They require a sense of mechanics and procedure that takes some serious effort to master. Therefore, there is nothing wrong with you being in a PvE guild.

Sometimes, people need to be visually shown why PvP gear is better than Rakata/Black Hole within a PvP setting. I suggest doing 1-on-1 duals within PvP zones (or even inside flashpoints) to show the physical difference. Another route would be to use the tough love method, and that is to set grouping rerquirements. If you do not wear PvP armor, then you cannot join the Group.

At the end of the day, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Our guild has incredibly strict guidelines. You follow orders, or you're out. Plain and simple. Just like when doing PvE. Our guild has 3 Ops groups, and the moment you don't listen to direction, you get kicked from the schedule and sent back to HM's until you can learn discipline. PvP happens to be a bit more lax with us, but due to the rigorous discipline within our Raids, our PvP groups are already tailored to be well-seasoned soldiers.

I wish you nothing but the best in your PvP endevers. Hopefully your guild members get their head out of their backsides and learn how Expertise boosts their stats far beyond their visible capabilities while within a PvP Zone and/or Warzone.

May the force be with you.
Thank you! I love my guild, I've been with it since it had 30 members and i certainly don't plan on leaving it for a pvp guild (which is non existant on my small pve server, anyway). I know the mechanics are there, its really just a matter of getting geared. I'd also like to see my guild start taking pvp as seriously as pve but I know that will probably never happen.

Can we agree that the recruit gear is better for pvp than tier 3 pve gear? I most likely am going to end up dueling everyone who wants to wear pve gear, but hopefully that will prove the point. Although i can also anticipate that they will say im beating them because im a marauder Considering that my hp is at 14k and theirs is around 23k on average i figure its negligible :P

How does teamwork play into voidstar? I feel that warzone is less about teamwork and more about speed/quickly burning through your opponents.

EDIT I just watched the voidstar walkthrough link you provided, which helped (though most of it was common sense).
"Honor is a lie, a chain that wraps itself around those foolish enough to accept it and drags them down to defeat."
-Gauntlet of Kresh- -The Tai Legacy- -Subutai - Punitor - Machiavelli - Davikk - Orda- Guild Website - Sister Guild Site

Lunez's Avatar


Lunez
05.18.2012 , 12:30 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthPunitor View Post
How does teamwork play into voidstar? I feel that warzone is less about teamwork and more about speed/quickly burning through your opponents.

EDIT I just watched the voidstar walkthrough link you provided, which helped (though most of it was common sense).
Those videos are for preliminary viewers who want to know the basics. To answer your question though, its not always about how fast you can burn your opponents, especially when attacking the bridges, because if you kill them at the bridge, they're all there waiting for you when you finally get the bridge open.

Voidstar is all about discipline and learning how to distract/stall enemy forces. Rule #1 of Voidstar: NEVER CHASE KILLS! and STAY BY THE DOORS! I can't tell you how many times I've lost/won a voidstar because the people defending the doors run away just for that 1-2 seconds to finish a kill. Often I will trick an enemy into chasing me away from the door so my cloaked teammate can sneak in there and set the bomb behind their back.

When a door blows, and you're racing to attack the next node, make sure you have someone who is a designated "hallway fighter" and by this I mean, someone who's sole job is to distract 1-3 people for a number of seconds to give your teammates ahead of you time to get to the next node with a reduced number of enemies to oppose them. Your enemies think they're getting a free kill, but what they're really doing is wasting 2-6 seconds gang-banging captain decoy while you activate the bridge or drop a force-field.

Orangerascal's Avatar


Orangerascal
05.18.2012 , 02:38 AM | #50
Some good information there. We need more posts like this instead of the usual QQ.
Lace - Sage / Fleet - Scoundrel / Vaine - Guardian - www.jedilace.com
<Sphinx> - Tomb of the Freedon Nadd