Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why does Obi-Wan seem more powerful?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Why does Obi-Wan seem more powerful?

Hambunctious
05.16.2012 , 11:16 PM | #31
Maybe Obi-Wan was a master of the basics. You see it all the time in sports. A guy with less physical talent beating a flashier player, because he is well versed in the basics, and can use them to their full advantage.

ScarletBlaze
05.16.2012 , 11:35 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Though Obi-Wan took a big gamble on the cliff, how was he suppose to know it was going to work? He may have kept his emotions in check sure, but that moment could have swung in two different directions.
Did he actually take a gamble on the cliff or did he know what Anakin would most likely do? How many times had Anakin gotten angry before while Obi-Wan was training him? Anakin was never known for patience or serenity. Anakin most likely had a history of anger and something I am willing to bet Obi-Wan knew very well.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Guild Roleplays: http://republicexplorerscorp.enjin.com/activity
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/vLlZlR

RDeanOU
05.16.2012 , 11:51 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by gabarooni View Post
I always felt like Obi-Wan was the real Hero of Star Wars just like Samwise was the Real hero of Lord of the Rings.
Luke is the hero of Star Wars. He is the only one who believes in the redemptive power of love. The Jedi think love is dangerous. They believe Vader cannot possibly be redeemed. Palpatine doesn't believe that Vader can be redeemed either. Both the Jedi and the Sith underestimate the power of love to redeem and change. Luke is the hero because he had faith when no one (including Obi Wan or Yoda) did. That faith and love for his father is what ultimately saved the galaxy.

BlazingShadow
05.17.2012 , 12:47 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Devilishmutt View Post
EVERY time i watch STAR WARS i always wonder, Anakin Skywalker is supposed to really powerful right?
But why does Obi-wan Kenobi seem more powerful? im just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.
Why are you watching the prequels again?

Mavryk
05.17.2012 , 01:38 AM | #35
As it has been mentioned, Obi-Wan was more powerful because he was in control. Obi was written as the poster child of the Jedi Order, he had mastered the force to a level where he could stay completely calm and unattached in a combat while Anakin while had more "strength" had less control, even before he took a walk on the Dark Side.

There is no point of having power if you can't control it. It's how Obi-Wan won each of his battles since Maul. Which brings me to an interesting point, Obi-Wan won his fight in the complete opposite position to how he won the Darth Maul duel... And he had to jump even higher than Anakin...
Dark-Haven Legacy
Black Chevron Community
[ Mavryk Lv55 ]-[ Avalyn Lv53 ]-[ Zavysh Lv1 ]-[ Equinor Lv13]
[ Ravlyn Lv29 ]-[ Xavier Lv23 ]-[ Lyxia Lv51 ]-[ Zakura Lv13]

Wolfninjajedi
05.17.2012 , 06:41 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
Did he actually take a gamble on the cliff or did he know what Anakin would most likely do? How many times had Anakin gotten angry before while Obi-Wan was training him? Anakin was never known for patience or serenity. Anakin most likely had a history of anger and something I am willing to bet Obi-Wan knew very well.
He took a gamble on the cliff, the future is always in motion. If Obi-Wan had swung even just slightly different, or too soon or too late he was a dead man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...P5iqx6T8#t=10s

Ya, ya its from a game. But that could have happened.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

LordQordisz
05.17.2012 , 07:00 AM | #37
Obi-Wan is not more powerful than Anakin. He's the son of the Force. Obi-Wan did beat Maul and Anakin, and Grievous. He also lost to Doooku. Anakin beat Dooku and lost to Obi-Wan. If the outcomes of battles were known before hand based on what we know of the abilities of the people than surely the weaker would avoid the stronger. Obi-Wan did master that 3rd form and it's masters are said to be invincible and Kenobi did have a knack for surviving some crazy things. And keep in mind for all you "he had the high ground" people, Kenobi beat Maul who had the high ground.
Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken.

ebenezr
05.17.2012 , 07:52 AM | #38
I'm pretty sure I watched a commentary somewhere (on the final fight scene) that said that Anakin was more powerful than Obi-Wan, but because they were close for so long, they both knew each other's style and moves to the point it was pretty much a stalemate of a duel. Makes sense that Obi-Wan used his knowledge of dark side arrogance to beat Anakin just like he did vs Darth Maul, albeit in apparently opposite methodology.

ScarletBlaze
05.17.2012 , 09:13 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
He took a gamble on the cliff, the future is always in motion. If Obi-Wan had swung even just slightly different, or too soon or too late he was a dead man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...P5iqx6T8#t=10s

Ya, ya its from a game. But that could have happened.

Maybe it could have but it didn't. Obi-Wan knew Anakin temper and knew his arroganace. Obi-wan used that to his advantage. You don't train someone and don't know what they can do. They had fought together for a long time and Anakin had temper and arrogance problems. Anakin even told Obi-Wan once he was better than Yoda in the Attack of the Clones.

If Anakin had not been angry and arrogant than things might have turned out differently but he didn't and that is what cost him the fight. Obi-Wan knew this and he used that to his advantage.

Sometimes you take a gamble using all the information you have on someone just as Obi-Wan did with Anakin . He used all the knowledge he had and the experiences he had with Anakin in the past and it paid off.

Could it turned out differently? Maybe if Anakin would have paid attention and not have been so angry and arrogant. He may have saw a different way but the fact remains he didn't. He thought he was unbeatable. He even told Padme he could destroy the emperor and they could rule the galaxy.

Someone that arrogant is always going to make a mistake and he did and it cost him the fight.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Guild Roleplays: http://republicexplorerscorp.enjin.com/activity
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/vLlZlR

LordQordisz
05.17.2012 , 10:07 AM | #40
Also keep in mind that Kenobi was really in tune with the Force. When he went to face Grievous it was his guide, "The Force..." did various things, almost like it took over his body, "..brought his lightsaber from his belt to his hand and ignited it", et cetera because "Obi-Wan wasn't even fighting. He was only a vessel, emptied of self. The Force, shaped by his skill and guided by his clarity of mind, fought through him". During that fight the Force whispered suggestions to him. I would suggest that Kenobi was not making any lucky guesses during his fight with Anakin. Rather the Force was with him. He was not only fighting these 4 droid bodyguards of Grievous but a bunch of other droids who came from the ceiling like rain.
Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken.