Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Augment slot on all gear 1.3

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Augment slot on all gear 1.3
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

GnatB
05.11.2012 , 04:50 PM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by DavidHunt View Post
I expect that many people will not use those 10 crafts on the item they want. Instead, they'll make one copy of the item, then if it does not crit they'll make 10 cheap items that fall into the same range and provide the necessary component.
More I think about this, more I think that the "range" (or tier) can't JUST be level, but also needs to be quality.

i.e. to add an augment slot to a lvl 49 purple item, you have to use a lvl 49-50 purple augmenter, which requires mats that come from REing lvl 49-50 purple items. (You could still add purple augments to a green item that had it's augment slot added via a green augmenter)

Orange should probably be considered either it's own entity (giving orange augment mats) or purple.

By and large, items that take lots of mats only take 2x as much of the blue mats (or same number, if purple) as the cheaper items to make. On average, it takes you 4-5 tries (depending on crit bonus) to create an augmented version.

So, crafting 1 thing you're trying for, then (if that fails) crafting 10 cheap things of the same range will end up, on average, to cost about the same number of the expensive mats (if not more, for purples) than simply keep trying the actual item until it crits.

Just that you will also, on average, get out 4/10ths of a bonus augmenter if going after the actual item you want to craft.

(Incidentally, I'd also be inclined to argue that augmenting something should bind it.

Akella
05.11.2012 , 06:32 PM | #112
I really do try to stay positive and look at the positives in every crew skill (and the game as a whole). But after reading this new information on the addition of augments to non-critted/regular gear - it's starting to sound like one big headache. It seems like it would just be nicer to be able to actually DO something without having to mess with a crafter. We already buy the armor and augments and mods from crafters. Just let us go to an augment table and put the damn agument in the gear!

Really, it's just starting to be to much.
Never argue with a fool, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Aikon
05.11.2012 , 10:20 PM | #113
So, by the sound of it... We will be able to add augment slots to orange gear that is either craftered or looted, correct?

Or am I wrong?
Tell me... How can there be Peace without Emotion? How can there be Knowledge without Ignorance?
How can there be Serenity without Passion? And how can there be Death without the Force?
Aikon - Guardian - Tron - Juggernaut

Spoletta
05.12.2012 , 01:44 AM | #114
Sounds like it.

Nelya
05.12.2012 , 02:24 AM | #115
Yes.

Augment kits are tiered.

I expect that many people will not use those 10 crafts on the item they want. Instead, they'll make one copy of the item, then if it does not crit they'll make 10 cheap items that fall into the same range and provide the necessary component.

I like to think this mean we will be able to add augment slots to _all orange items_ not just the crafted ones. Is that correct?
If so this sounds great!
Finally people would not have to choose between the look they like and the performance they want.
If this is true thank you Bioware.
Oh... and give us more orange gear
*dream mode* Best... make all gear RE_able to render an orange version. And give us that Thana vesh outfit */dream mode*
"All I heard was ....bla bla bla, something about space".

Mephane
05.13.2012 , 03:44 AM | #116
Your expectations are way, way off. What will happen is that thousands of cheap high level items will be crafted and reverse-engineered to get the mats and then sell the augment kits for maximum profit, because, frankly, many players have non-crafted equipment of which they want to keep the style, and all those who just did not bother with crit-crafted stuff for this reason will have an enormous demand for augment kits.

At the same time, those without many millions of credits (the majority according to data presented on the guild summit) on their accounts will still get the shaft.
Ceterum censeo chat bubbles addenda et party bomb reddendum esse.
---
The Alot is Better Than You at Everything

MorgothPl
05.13.2012 , 08:39 AM | #117
So, lets talk specifics. Lets say, I've made the orange, lev 400 blaster - Two Finger's Revenge. It took me some durasteel / zal alloy, along with 10 blue mats from lev 49-50 missions, and 3 lev 7 exotic crafting mats - biometric cell.

Of course, it was not critical hit, so no augments. To get the augment slot, I need to RE 10 items. But, the question is, any lev 400 armstech weapon be sufficient, or do I need to craft 10x orange lev 400 weapons, to get an augment hit.

If it's the latter case, then the crafting system will be pointless, becasue, if I make 10 orange blasters, there is a nice change, especially with armstech crit companion, that I'll get augmented weapon before I get an augment.

CompassRose
05.13.2012 , 10:11 AM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by MorgothPl View Post
So, lets talk specifics. Lets say, I've made the orange, lev 400 blaster - Two Finger's Revenge. It took me some durasteel / zal alloy, along with 10 blue mats from lev 49-50 missions, and 3 lev 7 exotic crafting mats - biometric cell.

Of course, it was not critical hit, so no augments. To get the augment slot, I need to RE 10 items. But, the question is, any lev 400 armstech weapon be sufficient, or do I need to craft 10x orange lev 400 weapons, to get an augment hit.

If it's the latter case, then the crafting system will be pointless, becasue, if I make 10 orange blasters, there is a nice change, especially with armstech crit companion, that I'll get augmented weapon before I get an augment.
This is the extreme case that will be very uncomfortable for a dev to comment on. You're talking about a moddable, offhand only blaster with a VERY COOL skin. One that's very desirable to dual-wielders. So if you're determined to get an augmented version, let's say you run off 5 in a row with Corso. You exhaust your supply of alloys (15). Burn through the expensive materials and come out with 1 augmented version and 4 non-augmented versions.

In reality, you created the blaster that you wanted but now you're stuck with 4 'Flashies'. You literally have 4 guns that may have level 50 blue mods in it, but for all intents and purposes the gun itself is no better than any other random, moddable blaster drop. The only difference is this one is offhand only and has a great graphic skin.

So if the devs are saying you can create 10, 'green' blasters and get the augment kit material.....

Then you're printing money.

This is a band-aid change. It's coming into the game because players want to be able to run around in slave-top bikinis and not get a handicap for it. Even on Hoth.

The unintended consequence is that ALL orange gear up for sale on the GTN will now have an augment slot in it. Meaning anything without one will be poo.

'Disposable', gear will be hard to find because players will stop selling those drops on the GTN and reverse engineer for augment kit materials. If new players thought finding gear on the GTN was hard before, they're in for a shock in 1.3.

The devs again, have taken something 'uncommon' and made it common because that's what everyone wants (the best gear).

MorgothPl
05.13.2012 , 10:30 AM | #119
You are right Compass. It took me a lot of money / time to get my 6 biometric cells for the pair of lev 48 blasters - some I bought, some I, by luck took from space dailies crates. But, lets just say, I bought it by my server price - 140k per cell, that is 520k + other mats, lets just make it 550k.

As I do not raid or do HM, and I hate doing dailies daily, it's a certain investment for such blaster. and hell, it feel really an achievment to be able to soon wield one (still on lev 40 with my BH). To make 3 or 5, to get one augmneted would really require investment of both time and money. But it would feel great.

Also I could live without augmented version - for normal FPs and OPS, you could manage without maxed gear and augmented stuff. But, if everything now will hae augments, anyone who hasn't got augmented stuff might hear "**** from the group".

Also, I believe you have to make choices in MMO - you want augmented weapon, work for it, burn money and time, to get something better and unique. If not, then you should take some responsibility, like not being able to access the "elite content". I'm cool with not being able to do HM OPS, because I don't have enough time to spend it on gearing myself.

Right now, as everything on GTN will be augmented, maybe devs should just stop bothering, and add the augment stats to items, without making us crafting the kits

Ancaglon
05.14.2012 , 04:12 AM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by Screaming_Ziva View Post
The problem with focusing it is that some people may not know what kind of kit to buy for their armor. Crafters would obviously know but what about non-crafters. What's going to happen when someone wearing Armormech armor buys a Synthweaving kit for it? You can't even say that Bounty Hunters need to buy Armormech kits because what if they have orange custom armor that was made by a Synthweaver?
Generally, people can tell that stuff intended to be used by a Force user is Synthwoven (Strength or Willpower), and stuff intended to be used by Tech users is Armorcrafted (Aim or Cunning). Of course, there are grey areas, such as orange shells usable by two categories, but there is another possibility: Dropped items already have the information on what skill can be used to create them encoded, because the "disassemble" option pops up in group loot when someone has the right skill to reverse-engineer it. So, it would just be a matter of updating the item tooltip to include that infomation -- eg "Use Synthweaving Kit 5 to add augument slot".