Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Advanced Class Switching/Respeccing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Advanced Class Switching/Respeccing?

Boundd
12.17.2011 , 07:55 PM | #1
Yes or no?

Elyons
12.17.2011 , 07:56 PM | #2
Yes to respecing - no to AC switching
Kaserai:Jedi Sentinel Mahddi:Smuggler Scoundrel
Begeran Colony

Inceptor
12.17.2011 , 07:57 PM | #3
yeah... I really wanna know this as well... I accidentally picked the wrong sub-class when I meant to inspect it instead.

Now I'm that much balder.

Phoenixblight
12.17.2011 , 07:58 PM | #4
You can respec but you can not switch to another AC. When your AC trainer said this was permanent they weren't kidding.

jimmybob
12.17.2011 , 08:07 PM | #5
When I joined Rift to fill the void before swtor, I did not have any intention of becoming a fanboy. But.. man, I wish swtor had half the features Rift does. Like, having multiple roles for your character.

Although I totally understand why Bioware didn't go in that direction, I mean, who wants customers to have the most fun possible...?

blaqirl
12.17.2011 , 08:09 PM | #6
No to AC swapping, if you want another class just level one.

Boundd
12.17.2011 , 08:27 PM | #7
Interesting thoughts.

Imo, I'd like to see it implemented, but at a very high cost or time limits of 30 days between switching (or both) or basically anything that was a heavy penalty to the player/made it a big deciscion/investment.

One thing I don't see being switchable anytime soon is race .

Kurruk
12.17.2011 , 08:54 PM | #8
The one annoying thing about the Never-Switch of the AC's, is that the only way you'll know if it suits your play style ahead of time is a few text lines of description, and a look at the skill boxes, again with just a text description.

Now I'm at 20, and am wondering how the "other half" lives and plays. It would be nice to switch over and see how I like it without having to re-roll, or grind up a spare toon and play a while on the other class. If it then turns out I do like the other one better, I'd have to then re-roll my main toon and grind up a third time! (Don't want to lose my name, you see).

There should be a one-time method to flip over, with the option to flip back (say, that expires in 7 days or so) if you don't like the other side. This way you can make a truly educated decision.

The devs said once that they were considering a way, that would be very cheap at CL10, and almost un-affordable by CL20. That seems to have been scrapped, for obvious logic flaws. (Grinding to make money = level up, which then costs more, repeat...)

So yes, please give us a one-time chance to test the waters, with a time-limited window to flip back if the grass truly was greener!

SeaneeT
12.17.2011 , 09:22 PM | #9
I really liked what Tabula Rasa did with having clones availble at certain level. Have a clone available with no gear etc at level 10 just so you don't have to grind the same exact quests over again.

I also agree with the comment on Rift above. It was a filler game for this but turned out really liking it other than the yo-yo on class balance. It feels that Swtor is incredibly polished and immersive, but is not all that innovative, or even behind a little bit in the innovation for broad user acceptability.

Shindler
12.17.2011 , 09:26 PM | #10
Features like these are part of the reason MMO's are becoming too simplified and easy. The mentality is too much focused on making things as convenient as possible, which on paper sounds great but what we're left with 7 years post-warcraft is a genre that has been dumbed down for the masses. Quest trackers... droid revivals... jeez. Why doesn't the game just play for you?