Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Boba Fett is Both Dead and Alive (Technically)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Boba Fett is Both Dead and Alive (Technically)

PeepsMcJuggs's Avatar


PeepsMcJuggs
05.10.2012 , 08:03 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Angel_of_Cain View Post
DAMN YOU!!!!!! for beating me to it....
Heh heh...I had to search for it just to be sure someone didn't crack the joke already.
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."

billyboyjennings's Avatar


billyboyjennings
05.10.2012 , 11:55 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Umm, no. He died in George Lucas's little narrowverse. BUT, he is alive in the Expanded Universe. The Expanded Universe is Star Wars, whether you like it or not. As long as it's at least C-Canon, it's Star Wars.
The Expanded Universe is not the true story of Star Wars. Lucas's "little narrowverse" is.


Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Once more: IF LUCAS WANTED FETT DEAD, HE WOULD STICK HIS NOSE INTO THE EXPANDED UNIVERSE AND DECLARE HIM DEAD! HE WOULD THEN LOSE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN REVENUE FROM ALL BOOKS WITH FETT AS MAIN CHARACTER, FETT IN THEM, OR FETT MENTIONED AS BEING ALIVE IN THEM. BECAUSE IF GEORGE RETCONS FETT OUT OF EXISTENCE, EVERY ONE OF THOSE BOOKS STILL ON STORE SHELVES WOULD HAVE TO BE PULLED.
Ok? What's your point? Boba Fett is alive in the EU. Like I said.


Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Fett is alive by default, since George doesn't want to lose all that scratch.
Actually, Fett would be dead by default.

"When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves - and only the films." - Chris Cerasi, LucasBooks' Editor, 2001

"As many fans know, when it comes to Star Wars knowledge, there are degrees of 'canon.' The only true canon are the films themselves." - Steve Sansweet, LFL/Fan Relations, 2000

In the end, the fact is that the EU has been directly stated to be not a part of the same universe, separate to and different from Lucas's "Absolute Canon" universe, which is the real story of Star Wars.
Boba Fett died in the true Star Wars universe. Therefore, by default, Boba Fett would be dead.
"In the case of Boba Fett's death, had I known he was gonna turn into such a popular character, I probably would've made it a little bit more exciting." - George Lucas, RotJ DVD Commentary, 2004
DEAL WITH IT, FANBOYS

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
05.11.2012 , 05:16 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by billyboyjennings View Post
The Expanded Universe is not the true story of Star Wars. Lucas's "little narrowverse" is.




Ok? What's your point? Boba Fett is alive in the EU. Like I said.




Actually, Fett would be dead by default.

"When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves - and only the films." - Chris Cerasi, LucasBooks' Editor, 2001

"As many fans know, when it comes to Star Wars knowledge, there are degrees of 'canon.' The only true canon are the films themselves." - Steve Sansweet, LFL/Fan Relations, 2000

In the end, the fact is that the EU has been directly stated to be not a part of the same universe, separate to and different from Lucas's "Absolute Canon" universe, which is the real story of Star Wars.
Boba Fett died in the true Star Wars universe. Therefore, by default, Boba Fett would be dead.
Wrong. Unless he retcons Boba Fett in the Expanded Universe, he's alive. End. Of. Story. So you might as well start writing a letter to him now explaining how he's going to have to retcon him. Oh, and make sure you point out how much money he's going to lose by doing so. Wow, you must HATE Boba Fett badly, or you just take George's word as the Word of God. I feel sorry for ya, man. If you can't see how George actively trolls people, then I REALLY teel sorry for ya.

And it's not my fault you missed the point. I put the comparison up there for you. You either failed to see it, or failed to use it in a quote. You could have. I compared Fett surviving to the retcon on Wookiee Jedi. But if you can't see that, then I REALLY REALLY feel sorry for you. Have fun hating Fett and worshipping George, though.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

billyboyjennings's Avatar


billyboyjennings
05.11.2012 , 06:01 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Wrong. Unless he retcons Boba Fett in the Expanded Universe, he's alive. End. Of. Story. So you might as well start writing a letter to him now explaining how he's going to have to retcon him. Oh, and make sure you point out how much money he's going to lose by doing so. Wow, you must HATE Boba Fett badly, or you just take George's word as the Word of God. I feel sorry for ya, man. If you can't see how George actively trolls people, then I REALLY teel sorry for ya.
*sigh*
I'll repeat myself again. I have already said many many times that Fett is alive and kicking in the alternate reality that is the EU and that Lucas approved it. Work on your reading comprehension skills.

Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
And it's not my fault you missed the point. I put the comparison up there for you. You either failed to see it, or failed to use it in a quote. You could have. I compared Fett surviving to the retcon on Wookiee Jedi. But if you can't see that, then I REALLY REALLY feel sorry for you. Have fun hating Fett and worshipping George, though.
I didn't miss what you said, I just decided to ignore it. I never said he died in the EU and I never said anything about Lucas retconning his survival in the EU.

Also, I don't worship Lucas. I am simply pointing out what the creator/owner of the franchise and his employees have stated. Fett died in the true Star Wars universe.
"In the case of Boba Fett's death, had I known he was gonna turn into such a popular character, I probably would've made it a little bit more exciting." - George Lucas, RotJ DVD Commentary, 2004
DEAL WITH IT, FANBOYS

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
05.11.2012 , 06:17 AM | #35
Boba fett is alive because Lucas and the license wouldn't allow Boba Fett to be alive in the insanely OP manner he is in the EU.

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
05.11.2012 , 06:39 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Boba fett is alive because Lucas and the license wouldn't allow Boba Fett to be alive in the insanely OP manner he is in the EU.
No need to bring Traviss into this now. Ugh... Karen Traviss did more to harm Fett's cause than ANY other author out there.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
05.11.2012 , 07:05 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by billyboyjennings View Post
*sigh*
I'll repeat myself again. I have already said many many times that Fett is alive and kicking in the alternate reality that is the EU and that Lucas approved it. Work on your reading comprehension skills.



I didn't miss what you said, I just decided to ignore it. I never said he died in the EU and I never said anything about Lucas retconning his survival in the EU.

Also, I don't worship Lucas. I am simply pointing out what the creator/owner of the franchise and his employees have stated. Fett died in the true Star Wars universe.
It's NOT A PARALLEL UNIVERSE.

A. IF it was a parallel universe, then GEORGE WOULD NOT CARE about Wookiee Jedi existing in it. He would ALLOW IT.

B. IF it was a parallel universe, then GEORGE WOULD NOT CARE if they killed off Luke, Leia, and Han. He would ALLOW IT.

C. IF it was a parallel universe, then GEORGE WOULD NOT CARE if they used the Original Jedi Code. He would ALLOW IT.

D. IF it was a parallel universe, then IT WOULD NOT BE CALLED C-CANON!! It would have NOTHING TO DO WITH CONTINUITY.

You obviously need some information on how C-Canon works, man. It needs to fit the CONTINUITY of the movies and other novels to be considered C-Canon. Now, where in the visual ON-SCREEN movie of RotJ did they specifically say "Boba Fett is dead"? Where? I would like you to post a link to that when you find it. Oh wait!!! It doesn't exist! Nobody in ANY movie incarnation of RotJ says that. Nowhere! Now, please STATE ONE MORE TIME that the Expanded Universe is a parallel universe, against ALL evidence to the contrary.

If you REALLY believe George's lies and backpedalling on THAT.... /facepalm

Fact: George was so butthurt over the bad reviews and bashing of the prequels, he started actively trolling the fans. One of his trolling successes was to "declare" Boba Fett "dead". Now, if he had really retconned Fett out of C-Canon post-RotJ, then Fett would be like the Wookiee Jedi in the Old Republic Comics. Non-existent.

So, unless or until George officially retcons Boba Fett out of C-Canon, he's alive in the Star Wars universe.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Shardas's Avatar


Shardas
05.11.2012 , 07:33 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by JacenHallis View Post
Schrodinger's Fett?
Made my day.
Qc terxepssrw evi jypp sj aiewipw. Mrjsvq xli Uyiir, ws xlex wli qmklx wlss xliq eaec. Livi ai ks 'vsyrh xli qypfivvc fywl. Ks qsroic KS!

Rhyltran's Avatar


Rhyltran
05.11.2012 , 10:37 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
Bah stupid phone

Anyway as I was saying the story that had boba fett first escape was Tales of the bounty hunter and it came out in1996 long before the special editions and before the current canon system. After the prequels and the new canon system a LOT of EU stuff that was canon was made non canon by both the prequels and the new canon system.
No it didn't. You keep saying this but it's wrong. George has made it very clear that the EU is a separate universe. He states this. You accept everything in the EU continuity is Canon within the EU or none of it is Canon. Not some or the others. He specifically mentioned a few things but again! Also stated the EU is a separate universe. George doesn't view ANY of the EU as Canon.

When asked about other movies he stated what happened in the EU didn't happen. He would not do any movies based on the EU. It's a separate world to him. So Boba Fett is alive.. In the EU.

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
05.11.2012 , 12:26 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhyltran View Post
No it didn't. You keep saying this but it's wrong. George has made it very clear that the EU is a separate universe. He states this. You accept everything in the EU continuity is Canon within the EU or none of it is Canon. Not some or the others. He specifically mentioned a few things but again! Also stated the EU is a separate universe. George doesn't view ANY of the EU as Canon.

When asked about other movies he stated what happened in the EU didn't happen. He would not do any movies based on the EU. It's a separate world to him. So Boba Fett is alive.. In the EU.
Which is funny considering the things he's taken from the Expanded Universe FOR USE in the movies. "Coruscant" and "Mandalorian", for a couple examples. Also, if the ExU was NOT important to him, then why would he actively retcon some things in it, yet allow it to continue as C-Canon? Not to mention the "No Kill" orders he has on Luke, Leia, and Han IN the Expanded Universe. Why would he do such things if he didn't consider it in some way Canon?

Hell, WHY would he hire Leland Chee in the first place to MAKE SURE it all fits into continuity with the movies?

I for one am tired of George contradicting himself. He has lied and backpedalled quite a bit in the interviews I've seen him in. Not to mention his emo/nerdRAGE because of the Prequel fallout and not being named Geek God of All Sci-Fi.

EDIT: Can we really trust the word of a man who didn't "declare" Boba Fett "dead" until after the prequel fallout and was obviously trolling fans? I don't think so.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.