Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Augment slot on all gear 1.3

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Augment slot on all gear 1.3
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

UnderatedNoob
05.10.2012 , 06:24 AM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Brittaany_Banks View Post
Augmented gear will just jump in price by a couple mil then. I'll sell my augmented sabers for 3 mil cause the only other way people will get em is for 5 mil
Or from the other crafter who is not a douche, and still selling them for 150k.
"Anyone who rolls an Imp is just a horrible person in real life."
- Slyexx

Crazyknight
05.10.2012 , 06:46 AM | #52
Well we already know crafters will craft the kits and still if you think about it you can still make a lot of money. The difference now is that instead of selling an aug orange armor for lets say 200k you will probably have to sell it less to compete with the increase supply BUT you still can make money with the kits or the variety of armor you put on the GTN.

More people will buy because they will be able to afford it now thanks to more supply so crafters will earn in volume in sales instead of 1 item gaining a big profit an item that you get crit sometimes.
"For me Revan will always be that shadowy figure with no true form or substance, representative of nothing and everything at the same time. " -Drew Karpyshyn

Undorett
05.10.2012 , 06:58 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by GnatB View Post
May I suggest NOT making the Elegant ones and instead make the lvl 20 ones? Higher crit rates (assuming elegant ones are still orange @400) and WAY cheaper/faster to harvest mats? I have yet to really meet anybody who really cares what their weapons look like all that much, and you can't preview their look on the GTN anyways, so all people are buying is the "stats". So if YOU want to try to compete against equivelent quality guns that cost 3k to make and can be used 30 levels earlier with your 90k to make guns, I'm gonna guess it isn't going to go that well for you. As somebody else said. L2Economy

Oh, and PS. When you actually ARE doing higher level crafting, run missions for the fluxes. The Calius Saj Leeloo or w/e mission costs like 2k to run, and returns over 30 of those high end fluxes. (According to TorHead, average cost is 61 per). That alone will cut your expenses by ~10500 credits.
I have made over 3m credits from armstech since 1.2 dropped so I will continue doing things my own way showing off how much better the Elegant ones look (including taking into account decking half the guild out in a PVE and PVP augmented gun/guns at no cost to them). Also, at higher level crafting you have to decide if sending your crew member out for a half hour to harvest something you can so easily purchase is worth it over sending him out for something else. So are you the guy that cut my sales of 4-5 guns a day at 150-200k credits down to 90k a sale?

SpatterJack
05.10.2012 , 07:11 AM | #54
I imagine that the materials needed for building the Enhancement kits will be randomly dropped in small quantities as a by-product of the RE process, in addition to the "standard material refund" from RE'ing. Similar to the way that purple crafting materials are currently obtained from crew missions, perhaps ? The BW devs do seem to love their RNG, it crops up everywhere

Once the Enhancement kit is applied, will the item be bound to whomever applied the kit ? Or will the enhanced item still be freely tradeable ?

I can see how this change is an attempt to satisfy everyone. That great looking loot piece you just got as a Campaign or HM FP drop can now be further improved by adding an Enhancement slot via the Kit+table method.
  • No need to buy an expensive "rare" orange crit-crafted item from a crafter !
  • No need to strip the mods from your loot drop to place them in an orange crit-crafted shell !
  • Orange quest rewards will no longer be eclipsed by crit-crafted items with an augment slot...

The only time a player will need to buy a crafted orange item from a crafter will be for purely aesthetic reasons, or because they can't easily or immediately get an appropriate piece for a companion via quest rewards.

And crafters can still craft, in fact they will have to craft more items than ever before, because their main source of profit (and possibly sales) will be Enhancement kits, which can only be made by crafting and RE'ing loads of items...

It will also clear the GTN of "dumped" crafted items, because it will be potentially more valuable to RE a surplus item for materials rather than dumping it on the GTN at a cut rate price.

If these "enhancement kits" are tedious to make (i.e. requiring endless grinding of crafted items for RE'ing), their price will be very high, due to the time and materials needed. It will also push up the price of materials on the GTN, because demand for bulk materials will rise.

Screaming_Ziva
05.10.2012 , 08:05 AM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by DavidHunt View Post
Adding an augment to an item through the augment table will require an augment kit and credits. The kits can be traded and are created by crafters. RE'ing crafted items gives you the materials required to create augment kits.
Wait. What? In order to get the materials needed to craft an augment kit, I have to craft a bunch of stuff and then RE it for the materials? I guess this is to make sure that only crafters can obtain the materials needed for augment kits? How many items are we going to have to RE to get enough mats for one augment kit? 5? 10? 20?

Screaming_Ziva
05.10.2012 , 08:08 AM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by Sithhelmet View Post
3. Where will the schematic for the augment kit be obtained? As it is, any level 10 with a companion can craft 99% of the items a level 50 can, though at a slower rate. As poor as this system is for a dedicated crafter, it's better than the way the orange gloves/boots schematics are distributed- by random chance and gated by being in an operation.
The no-win question is, will the schematic be available to everyone and their wookie or will it require the elitism of an operations group?
I'm hoping it will be somewhere in the middle of this. Making it an ops drop just basically validates the old saying "and the rich get richer". I wouldn't mind seeing the schematics going onto a daily vendor like the red and blue crystals are and making them BOP.

SpatterJack
05.10.2012 , 08:20 AM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Screaming_Ziva View Post
I'm hoping it will be somewhere in the middle of this. Making it an ops drop just basically validates the old saying "and the rich get richer". I wouldn't mind seeing the schematics going onto a daily vendor like the red and blue crystals are and making them BOP.
If the Augment Kits are universal, i.e. anyone can use them regardless of level, then their pricing on the GTN will naturally be determined by what a L50 player can afford. That means that only L50 players and their alts will be able to afford them.

But I can't see any way of making them "level-bound", unless they can only be applied to non-upgradeable gear (i.e. NOT orange shells). Otherwise, what will happen to a L11 orange shell with an augment slot added via augment kit ? If the kit is only valid for upgrading L11 items, should the augment slot "fall off" if the orange shell is upgraded more than a pre-determined amount of levels ?

As usual, the gap between what will actually be implemented, as opposed to what was said in the podcast, will probably be significant.

Kosef
05.10.2012 , 08:43 AM | #58
Quote:
As usual, the gap between what will actually be implemented, as opposed to what was said in the podcast, will probably be significant.
This what you said right here. This is why I can never really trust BW on what they say will or won't be implemented.
Jung Ma: The Sicarii Legacy
EMPIRE:[Korvah-Mara][Kraven-Merc][Kosef-Sorc]

Ancaglon
05.10.2012 , 09:52 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Kosef View Post
if it's just one generic kit...expect that to be selling for cheap, thus rendering crafting useless again. I want to think they will get this right...but I have lost faith in BW's ability to get anything right.
If it's done right, it should be created by the same crafters who could have made the augmented gear. So, for example, a level 10-19 robe would need, say, a "Synthweaving Augmentation Kit 1". To add an augmentation to a level 50 rakata trooper chestplate would use an "Armormech Augmentation Kit 5". (Requiring the item level to be 10+ to have a slot added doesn't seem like much of an imposition).

Loyal_Viggo
05.10.2012 , 10:05 AM | #60
The ability to add an augment slot is, and should be, about player choice and customisation.

It is not, and should not be, about how X crafter can make/will lose money.

Player choice and customisation is a key way to attract new players, and are great features that will retain existing players. This can only be a good thing, and BW appear to know that.

All the complaints and doomsayers talking and speculating about how this will cause crafters to lose out come down to one thing: greed.

Crafters can make a multitude of items, and this is one tiny aspect of crafting. It will not bankrupt any crafter. Life will go on.

People should be happy that others love and enjoy the game, and not always look to exploit a situation or view it in zero-sum terms when it's not.

Adding an augment slot should be achievable by any +10 level player with any craft. After all, we all pay to play and enjoy this game, well at least I know I do.
Help me Obi-oware Kenobi, you're my only hope...