Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

So wait, Revan was on Nar Shadaa with the Infinite Empire engine?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
So wait, Revan was on Nar Shadaa with the Infinite Empire engine?

jgelling's Avatar


jgelling
05.09.2012 , 05:55 AM | #1
I don't understand how the Revan tomb sidequest on Nar Shadaa makes any sense at all. The premise that he left a secret factory in the heart of a wealthy, heavily populated world and it went undisturbed for 300 years (apparently stealing power from the rest of the city) is a bit silly. More importantly, didn't he set off into uncharted space searching for the true Sith? What was he doing on Nar Shadaa - and why would he leave that technology there?

It would make sense if his base was on Dromund Kaas, or at least somewhere in Imperial space. But what are we supposed to believe from that storyline - that Revan went off to search for the Empire and ended up settling for a while in Hutt space? What, he just got lost or gave up? Did he ever leave Nar Shadaa? Was he a VIP at the Starlight Casino in the high rollers club?

GratuaCuun's Avatar


GratuaCuun
05.10.2012 , 01:50 AM | #2
He didn't want the Sith OR the Republic getting their hands on that tech, it was too dangerous. Revans plan was to build an army and a unified galactic empire that he could rule and destroy the True Sith with. When that all went to pot he just left the tech there since he didn't think anyone could get to it.

However, The technology that was there didn't just drain power, it also protected itself. It was impossible - until your character came along - to get through all those traps, droids and pitfalls. The reason for that - as we learned when we first entered the place and found all those corpses - was that everyone kept coming at it with armies. The factory was built to defend against that. But when Revan first found that tech he was by himself and he beat it just like we did. Revan didn't make the factory - he found it, it was there when the Evocii first settled the planet to escape the Hutts. They built the city around it and it just got buried. No one could get into it, and since Nar Shadda is deep in Hutt Space, no one bothered with it until Revan discovered it.

You have to realize that Revan wasn't pro-Jedi, pro-Republic, pro-Sith or pro-anything. He had his own goals and plans to protect the galaxy and each faction was a means to an end. He worked for the Sith Emperor - let him believe that he and Malak had been converted - when all the time he was trying to find a way to defeat the Emperor. He found Nar Shadda BEFORE he lost his memory (Malak's attack) when he was trying to build up the kind of galactic power that could take the Sith Empire on. Moving the factory to Dromund Kass would have just given the Sith Empire more power, something Revan had been trying to defend against
People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians - George Lucas in 1988... Ironic, is it not?

jgelling's Avatar


jgelling
05.10.2012 , 05:54 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by GratuaCuun View Post
He didn't want the Sith OR the Republic getting their hands on that tech, it was too dangerous. Revans plan was to build an army and a unified galactic empire that he could rule and destroy the True Sith with. When that all went to pot he just left the tech there since he didn't think anyone could get to it.

However, The technology that was there didn't just drain power, it also protected itself. It was impossible - until your character came along - to get through all those traps, droids and pitfalls. The reason for that - as we learned when we first entered the place and found all those corpses - was that everyone kept coming at it with armies. The factory was built to defend against that. But when Revan first found that tech he was by himself and he beat it just like we did. Revan didn't make the factory - he found it, it was there when the Evocii first settled the planet to escape the Hutts. They built the city around it and it just got buried. No one could get into it, and since Nar Shadda is deep in Hutt Space, no one bothered with it until Revan discovered it.

You have to realize that Revan wasn't pro-Jedi, pro-Republic, pro-Sith or pro-anything. He had his own goals and plans to protect the galaxy and each faction was a means to an end. He worked for the Sith Emperor - let him believe that he and Malak had been converted - when all the time he was trying to find a way to defeat the Emperor. He found Nar Shadda BEFORE he lost his memory (Malak's attack) when he was trying to build up the kind of galactic power that could take the Sith Empire on. Moving the factory to Dromund Kass would have just given the Sith Empire more power, something Revan had been trying to defend against
Interesting - so Revan found the factory already in place on Nar Shadaa when he was the Dark Lord - it was part of his original quest to find the Infinite Empire's technology?

He was converted by the Emperor himself? I thought he just turned to the dark side over the course of the long and horrible Mandalorian Wars as a means to an end. If he somehow encountered the Emperor, surely he would've known something about the location of the true Sith, and yet KOTOR 2 suggests he had no idea where the true source of the Sith threat came from? Last we heard he set off into uncharted space to stop them?

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
05.10.2012 , 06:03 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by jgelling View Post
Interesting - so Revan found the factory already in place on Nar Shadaa when he was the Dark Lord - it was part of his original quest to find the Infinite Empire's technology?

He was converted by the Emperor himself? I thought he just turned to the dark side over the course of the long and horrible Mandalorian Wars as a means to an end. If he somehow encountered the Emperor, surely he would've known something about the location of the true Sith, and yet KOTOR 2 suggests he had no idea where the true source of the Sith threat came from? Last we heard he set off into uncharted space to stop them?
You are both right, he was either very close or already had fallen to the Dark Side, then he found the Emperor.

DesAnvos's Avatar


DesAnvos
05.10.2012 , 01:15 PM | #5
Are you sure that it was there all along?

The way I took it the device seemed like it was a tiny shard of the starforge that Revan kept and before he left hid it as a contingency, and over the centuries it had been slowly feeding off the people in there to start rebuilding itself.

GratuaCuun's Avatar


GratuaCuun
05.11.2012 , 12:06 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by DesAnvos View Post
Are you sure that it was there all along?

The way I took it the device seemed like it was a tiny shard of the starforge that Revan kept and before he left hid it as a contingency, and over the centuries it had been slowly feeding off the people in there to start rebuilding itself.
The way I took it there were already Rakata holdings on the planet - already a base of some sort - that Revan used to store the seed in, the seed adapting the people, the planet and the base itself as it grew. Whichever version it was, because the story was taken from a bunch of brain-dead zealots and one Journal entry :P we DO know that Revan was NEVER aligned with the True Sith/The Emperor. In fact, if he really had any REAL enemy, it was the Emperor. That was why he went hunting for the Star Forge - why the spared so many planets and tried to establish an economy and an empire that could defeat the True Sith.

Whatever he did on Nar Shadda (either hiding the seed in an abandoned Rakata base or whatever) it was part of his overarching plan to destroy the Empire. Unfortunately, Malak ruined all that and Revan's mind was damaged.

As we know, Revan knew something was hiding in the Unknown Regions when he left after Malak was killed... but he didn't know what it was. So, he either knew that the technology there couldn't be used in time to defeat the Sith Empire (as the seed still had several hundred years of growth required before it would reach maturity) or his mind was too fragmented to recall where he'd hidden it. Whichever version it was, it would have been incredibly stupid for him to hide it on Dromund Kass :P

And, just a personal note, I've played this quest a few times and I gotta say, as planet quests go, it's one of the best ^_^
People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians - George Lucas in 1988... Ironic, is it not?

Kaisernick's Avatar


Kaisernick
05.11.2012 , 01:50 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by GratuaCuun View Post
The reason for that - as we learned when we first entered the place and found all those corpses - was that everyone kept coming at it with armies.
i actually think those were all the droids guarding it and when you do the precurser to the quest you disable them all allowing u to pass in.

Quote:
He didn't want the Sith OR the Republic getting their hands on that tech, it was too dangerous. Revans plan was to build an army and a unified galactic empire that he could rule and destroy the True Sith with. When that all went to pot he just left the tech there since he didn't think anyone could get to it.
but the technology seems to be a piece of the star forge i beleive.

OldVengeance's Avatar


OldVengeance
05.11.2012 , 02:09 AM | #8
I had gotten the impression it was something that he did after the events of the first game. Maybe it's because reading his journal gives the impression he has a better understanding of the applications of the technology behind the Star Forge and the dialogue during his confrontation with Malak in the climax of Kotor I implies that he didn't have that understanding at the time.

GratuaCuun's Avatar


GratuaCuun
05.12.2012 , 12:17 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
I had gotten the impression it was something that he did after the events of the first game. Maybe it's because reading his journal gives the impression he has a better understanding of the applications of the technology behind the Star Forge and the dialogue during his confrontation with Malak in the climax of Kotor I implies that he didn't have that understanding at the time.
That doesn't make sense - he understood he starforge better BEFORE he lost his memory, he didn't have time to 'relearn' anything when he attacked it to take down Malak... and if he HAD taken a seed then, wouldn't we have seen it?

Just a note here, I'm not trying to argue/dispute with anyone... the quest is intentionally vague, just offering my understanding of it ^_^
People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians - George Lucas in 1988... Ironic, is it not?

Ranadiel_Marius's Avatar


Ranadiel_Marius
05.12.2012 , 05:30 AM | #10
Honestly the thing that bugs me the most about this quest is the timeline because apparently Revan made the tomb, left, and then came back a generation later since the first holorecording you get has the......w/e species that beholder headed thing basically imply he had only lived in the tomb and had just met Revan the first time. Unless those things mature in like 6 months the timeline seems all kinds of compressed and messed up.
A Primer on the Emperor(yes this does have spoiler)

One Night Stands and Similar Encounter (spoilers again, and I am probably going to repost this sometime in the future)