Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Augment slot on all gear 1.3

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Augment slot on all gear 1.3
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Xxantak
05.09.2012 , 07:29 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by burnerboy View Post
Ok, just listened to the pod cast, and I'm getting the impression that adding augments might be limited to end game gear. Also I think if there is a crafting limit placed on how augments can be added, a lot of people will be very unhappy with that.
It doesnt sound like it will be limited to endgame gear. Quoting the podast "It also means that things like the - was it the pilot outfit - the sand trooper, the sand person outfit all of those things in particular on the social vendors as well as the armor on the collector's edition vendors and the security vendors all that stuff will be able to be worn at end game, especially when you combine it with the augment table technology"

Kanana
05.10.2012 , 01:04 AM | #42
Crafting is useless in TOR. Any use it has is limited to a short time after a select patch, until the "raiders uber alles" mentality kicks in again among devs and they make sure crafting has no use at all again.

In order to make crafters not useless they'd have to adjust the schems so what we make is actually useful for the endgame, and not just for leveling alts.

Armormech/synthweave: As it is crafted armor won't even be good for companions, they are better off with hand-down loot from raiding. The crit crafted orange shells were viable for a bit, but there are not enough schems around (without any good reason) and we can't make most of the actually nice things. PvP armor is right out - BW could have given us the recruit gear schems, but chose to make that vendor only. Rakata belt and bracers used to be BiS, but as gear progresses they are rendered useless (and can't be sold anyway). Augments are the remaining hope, but when I start an armormech I want to craft armor people use, not some gimmick.

Cybertech: LOL. Any mods we make are useless as soon as people start dailies, and we lack some mod types still (tanks). Ship parts are about the only decent thing to sell, no one sane buys speeders at those material costs (and such limited selections). Grenades are a gimmick, but have some uses in pvp. Earpieces are rendered useless by gear progression.

Armstech: In the endgame we can crit-craft cheap oranges, one per player. That's it. Barrels are useless, people use the barrels from daily comms or loot. Augmetns help out some, but all in all you're crafting for low levels.

Artifice is a mixture of armormech/synthweave and armstech. As with the rest, any endgame products are rendered useless by loot.

Biotech - only crew skill you can actually use at endgame, since there's no looted stim/medpack/adrenal that's better, though pvpers might get by with pvp stims and medpacks, provided they spend the comms.

In order to make crafting viable BW has to stop elevating loot above all. Crafted stuff should always be around second/third best, not dead last in the gear progression. I'd suggest that whenever BW introduces a new tier of gear, the oldest tier gets added to the crafting schems. So we'd be crafting collumni-quality armor, mods and weapons when people start gearing up with campaign gear.

cheyenneorion
05.10.2012 , 01:04 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by DavidHunt View Post
Adding an augment to an item through the augment table will require an augment kit and credits. The kits can be traded and are created by crafters. RE'ing crafted items gives you the materials required to create augment kits.
basicly what there saying is nothing changes for crafters were still going to have to craft a ton of wasted items to re them to get the mats to make the kits. then sell the kits to thos who want the augment slot.

so for crafters this changes nothing instead of makeing 10 items for one augmented item we now make 10 items to make one augment kit.

whats the point.

XDrcaul
05.10.2012 , 01:33 AM | #44
BW can't please everyone, and nor should they. this game instead of evolving seems to be going backwards. I fear for the future of this game. Honestly though bikini's in the Star Wars universe, I know Leia had the slave outfit. Doesn't mean you can but bikini's on. Fix the real issues with the game instead of appealing to the masses.
Member of the Early Access - December 13, 2011 Club

Ironcleaver
05.10.2012 , 03:06 AM | #45
In my personal opinion - by having several "end game" armor sets in the game so early into the release of the game, a player crafted ecomoney, never had a chance to get some footing. Games add several "tiers" of armor when they do not do a vertical expansion (aka higher levels) and instead do a laterial expansion. This game wasn't old enough for any laterial growth loot itemization.

Other MMOs like WoW and EQ2 have a ton of laterial itemization but this is becasue they have been out for years and years and rarely do a vertical expansion. TOR was too young for this to be in place - perhaps after the first true expansion with is a year or more out. This alone is throwing the natural ingame crafting enviornment out of wack.

Make raids harder if people are blasting though them too fast - raids are meant to be hard, make raiders earn the gear. Easy raids and several tiers of gear is just not the way to go "out of the box". I'm sure the same could be said about WoW (never played it) but in EQ2 people were stuck on raid encounters for at least a few days, if not weeks, and sometimes months. I know people like casual gameplay but it has to be balanced with a bit of difficulty or people will just get bored and leave.

I know there is a current movment in the genre to make these games as casual as if a person was playing a console game. Stop it. Stop it. To a degree it is ok but don't go overboard. They are different for a reason - if hard-core mmo players wanted to play consoles they would be playing consoles. (edit/note: by "hard-core mmo player", I mean just those that play a lot, nothing more)

Sorry for the side rant.. :-/

TL;DR - Too much end-game laterial itemization too early in the games life cycle.
╒═══╡My 3d Weapon Thread╞═══╛
"My eyes scream for the souls that bleed in my mind." ~ Ironcleaver

Cashondeliveri
05.10.2012 , 03:10 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Flying-Brian View Post
At this point, just bring out the tables and let it be done with.

The post 1.2 crafting is a joke. The demand (at least on my server) for armor with an augment spot is almost 0%, and unless they are almost given away they don't sell on the GTN. There were no new schematics added. So all those different sets of orange armor that I did want to craft for an augment spot, I'm not able to.

Once they add augment tables in 1.3, I'll be able to set up the sets of armor I want to use for pve/pvp, have the look I want and will then drop armormech right away for biochem, since it's the only craft skill that still matters. I'd drop it now, but still need to make a few more augmented sets for alts and guild members.
I guess people on your server just aren't very interested in crit crafted gear then. This has worked out quite differently for me. I regularly sell critted gear for 100k-150k. Economies are quite different from server to server and Bioware has to look at how changes affect all the servers and not just one of them one. From your point of view as a crafter, you might just be on the wrong server.

Ancaglon
05.10.2012 , 03:53 AM | #47
Adding an augment to an item through the augment table will require an augment kit and credits. The kits can be traded and are created by crafters. RE'ing crafted items gives you the materials required to create augment kits.
This will work very nicely if the augment kits are level-tiered. That way, the items you create for the purpose of skilling up can be used, as a byproduct, to create sellable kits -- and if you do happen to crit-craft a piece of gear in the process of skilling up, you can try and sell that directly on the GTN rather than breaking it back down for the materials.

From a consumer view, it makes it viable to use augment kits on levelling characters, along with low-level augments, priced appropriately.

Looks like it could well be a win-win situation all around.

Freor
05.10.2012 , 04:57 AM | #48
Will there be different augment kits for different armor/weapon slots/types, or different kits for different level items, etc? Or just one generic "augment kit"? 'Cause if it's the latter, it makes crafting very boring. Just one item that every other crafter is making as well :/

Kosef
05.10.2012 , 05:54 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Freor View Post
Will there be different augment kits for different armor/weapon slots/types, or different kits for different level items, etc? Or just one generic "augment kit"? 'Cause if it's the latter, it makes crafting very boring. Just one item that every other crafter is making as well :/
if it's just one generic kit...expect that to be selling for cheap, thus rendering crafting useless again. I want to think they will get this right...but I have lost faith in BW's ability to get anything right.
Jung Ma: The Sicarii Legacy
EMPIRE:[Korvah-Mara][Kraven-Merc][Kosef-Sorc]

burnerboy
05.10.2012 , 06:16 AM | #50
Sorry, forgot about Social armor.

Then again, what we were lead to believe about changes in patch 1.2 reguarding armor, new schematics and the ability to transfer mods, ended up being very different, and lets face it, very disappointing.