Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Preferences Lock

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Elhanan
05.09.2012 , 06:16 PM | #1
Techless One here....

Recently, I experienced a BSoD, and the next time I played the game, all my preferences had been reset to Default, I believe. I have been attempting to alter and re-tailor the game back to the original state, but there are so many settings, and I am uncertain which to choose in many cases. Today I mistakenly placed a Bug Report of a loss of comparisions and mod data; discovered the Preferences had been altered soon afterwards.

Is there any way for this info to be stored with the characters on Biowares side of things? Someway to more swifly reset Preferences back to the last save?

Thanks!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -
Edmund Burke

Grief Free Play 12-20-11

Sutii
05.09.2012 , 09:46 PM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello Elhanan,

Preferences for the customisation of the User Interface are stored locally on your machine due to these items being related to the Graphical settings and capabilities of your computer. Key Bindings are however stored on the server.

I hope this answers your question, should you have any others please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks.
Sutii | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Onyx
05.09.2012 , 10:55 PM | #3
Which settings specifically? Some of them are stored in:

Windows Vista and Windows 7
*:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings
or
Windows XP
*:\Documents and Settings\(user name)\Local Settings\Application Data\SWTOR\swtor\settings
Star Wars fan for life
C C X X:
1st Special Forces Group
S . A . N . C . T . U . M . . . O . F . . . T . H . E . . . E . X . A . L . T . E . D
SWG: 2003 thru 12.15.2011 . . . . . Kettemoor ~ Starsider

Elhanan
05.09.2012 , 11:33 PM | #4
Well, I am ref the Flytext, Graphical, and non-UI Preferences that can be set after Character Creation. There may be dozens, if not hundreds of choices, and I am unable to recall them all, Some are needed to be re-set to improve performance; others are simply uneeded such as feedback for every heal or ill that befalls my crew.

But when it is all re-set to Default, I am seeking a swift way to regain my prior choices, as opposed to recalling all of them indv.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -
Edmund Burke

Grief Free Play 12-20-11

Sutii
05.10.2012 , 12:07 AM | #5 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello Elhanan,

In order to recover your previous settings it would require that you have a backup of them available. The only advice I can offer in this situation is that to avoid such in the future, make a backup of the settings directories, as listed by Onyx, after you have reconfigured your setup this time.

If there is anything else we can assist you with please do let us know.
Sutii | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Onyx
05.10.2012 , 12:08 AM | #6
The graphics ones are stored in the client_settings.ini file which is in the directory I mentioned in my previous post. The keybinds are stored on the server already.

I've not found where some of the other settings are located though--i.e. the flytext as you said, as well as things like "hide helm", looting preferences, and so forth. I haven't looked for them as of yet, but will try to do that and see if I can find where those things are stored.
Star Wars fan for life
C C X X:
1st Special Forces Group
S . A . N . C . T . U . M . . . O . F . . . T . H . E . . . E . X . A . L . T . E . D
SWG: 2003 thru 12.15.2011 . . . . . Kettemoor ~ Starsider

Elhanan
05.10.2012 , 01:49 AM | #7
Thanks for the tips!

As mentioned, I am Techless, but will attempt to see if I can use these as blueprints for any future resets.
Edmund Burke

Grief Free Play 12-20-11