Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Who was Justified in the Star Wars Movies?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Who was Justified in the Star Wars Movies?

Empirarte
12.17.2011 , 05:02 PM | #1
This question has been going through my brain for a while now, so I'm curious what other people think.

In the Original Trilogy, the Rebel Alliance who are the "good guys" are sabotaging the Empire's efforts and trying to cause destruction from the inside. Using violence, the Rebel Alliance finally manages to gain independence from the Empire and become the New Republic. They based their entire war on principles of government and used violence to support their fight.

Now rewind twenty or thirty years ago, to Episode II. Several systems are upset about how things are being run in the government and so want to peacefully leave the Republic. However, they meet stern resistance and when they try to execute some spies who are illegally infiltrating and killing some civilians (Obi Wan, Anakin, and Padmé), the Jedi Order begins a massive attack in order to free them. After the CIS tried to put down this invasion, a full-scale Republic invasion of Geonosis begins which leads to the Clone Wars, justified only by retrieving three important people.

Frankly, I think the CIS were much more justified than the Rebel Alliance was. It seems that who's good and who is bad is based upon whether or not you believe in Jedi or Sith philosophy. This also forms a strong parallel to the American Revolution and Civil War now that I think about it, however the North had more reason to fight than the Republic did, namely because the Republic is very corrupt at this point.

So, post your thoughts and comments about who was morally justified in these wars, and don't just say someone was good or bad because George Lucas wanted it that way. Thanks for non-troll responses.

BenjaminminU
12.17.2011 , 05:11 PM | #2
Republic was justified because the Trade Federation blockaded Naboo in episode 1, and then the Seperatists sent assassins after padme in attack of the clones just because of nute gunray's grudge against her. The seperatists were just made to cause the republic to go to war since Dooku was Palpatine's apprentace, Dooku knew the plan but Palpatine betrayed him since Anakin was more powerful.

The Rebel Alliance was justified because they fought for freedom of the galaxy because the galactic empire was forcing people to side with them, they enslaved a large amount of wookiees and didn't care about their people.
"Declaration: Assassination protocols active. Greetings, master" - HK-51

JediArchives
12.17.2011 , 05:32 PM | #3
Yes, that's all fine and dandy if you leave out the Sith's involvement...which you do.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
- T Paine

Empirarte
12.17.2011 , 05:42 PM | #4
I see your point, but it seems to me that you're saying the Republic was attacking the CIS chiefly because of the Trade Federation's involvement, because they are causing most of if not all the problems in Episodes I and II.

As for the Sith involvement, there is a lot of anger directed at the Sith due to the early wars and all, but it just seems to be a type of philosophy, though far from perfect, that the Jedi have been rivals with and constantly trying to suppress. But I do see what you mean, with what the Sith have been doing consistently, it's hard to tolerate them.

JediArchives
12.17.2011 , 05:49 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Empirarte View Post

As for the Sith involvement, there is a lot of anger directed at the Sith due to the early wars and all, but it just seems to be a type of philosophy, though far from perfect, that the Jedi have been rivals with and constantly trying to suppress. But I do see what you mean, with what the Sith have been doing consistently, it's hard to tolerate them.
Everything in the prequel trilogy is manipulated by the Sith...and you left mention of their involvement out completely.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
- T Paine

Empirarte
12.17.2011 , 06:12 PM | #6
But I don't believe, correct me if I am wrong, that the Jedi or the Republic knew this when they started fighting; if that's the case I think they lose a lot of grounds for attacking secessionists.

SciFiMike
12.17.2011 , 08:54 PM | #7
The clone wars was a creation of Darth Sidious so that he could destroy the jedi. It was also the culmination of events orchestrated by Darth Bane.

The rebellion was about many Bothan's dying.

GigglesXRevenge
12.18.2011 , 10:12 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by scifimike View Post
the rebellion was about many bothan's dying.
omg this. <3
Pinkie Pie
Flannery
Winnar

UncleJimbo
12.18.2011 , 10:39 AM | #9
Even in the movie you get the most important piece of information:

Truth is a matter of perspective.

So, both parties are justified

The Republic was wrong to answer with force when planets/systems wished to leave the Republic, but have an excuse since Sith were involved and the Sith are their enemy.

Empirarte
12.18.2011 , 01:53 PM | #10
I am glad that I am not the only one who thinks differently than how the films portray the struggle. I do see that the Empire has committed great crimes, but nothing that the Republic hadn't done before even as we see in the Old Republic, both sides are flawed in their own ways.