Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Augment slot on all gear 1.3

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Augment slot on all gear 1.3
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Drewhat
05.09.2012 , 09:53 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Screaming_Ziva View Post
I agree that crafting kits should be needed to use the augment table but making them require these rare materials is a horrible idea that leaves many crafters out in the cold. Also, I think it would be very difficult to require a specific augment kit for certain types of items unless there is a tool tip on each one saying what it can be used on. However, even then it would be difficult for buyers. "I have heavy armor, which augment kit do I buy? Synthweaving or Armsmech?"
Every higher order of gear will have to integrate as many crew skills as possible. And the rarer the abilities the better. But at the same time the more the economy will revolve around endgame (level 6 material based) gear the less supply or demand there will be for lower stuff. But at the same time, more people will be able to pay more for lower stuff.

burnerboy
05.09.2012 , 10:26 AM | #22
Ok, just listened to the pod cast, and I'm getting the impression that adding augments might be limited to end game gear. Also I think if there is a crafting limit placed on how augments can be added, a lot of people will be very unhappy with that.

Ancaglon
05.09.2012 , 10:48 AM | #23
The phrasing from the podcast was something like being able to add an aug slot to anything "which crafters get for free" -- clearly they haven't seen the amount of "wasted" (non-crit) orange gear that crafters have to generate to get those "free" ones.

A simpler way would be to just have a new version of the existing crafted augments that doesn't NEED a slot -- it just fits in, and anyone that can make the augment now can make the new type.

Oh, and allow the non-crit orange stuff to at least be broken back down for materials.

GnatB
05.09.2012 , 10:57 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by YanksfanJP View Post
If there was zero demand for the items, then they wouldn't sell for 20-30k. They wouldn't sell at all. The problem sounds not like there's no demand, but that you're pricing your wares too high.
This. Considering they cost maybe 3k per augmented item to make on average, selling for 20-30k is pretty decent profit. Try to sell for much more than that and people will just make their own.

GnatB
05.09.2012 , 10:59 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by burnerboy View Post
Ok, just listened to the pod cast, and I'm getting the impression that adding augments might be limited to end game gear. Also I think if there is a crafting limit placed on how augments can be added, a lot of people will be very unhappy with that.
Depends on how it's done. People aren't terribly unhappy buying stuff from crafters if they don't have to make it themselves. It's only if they actually require YOU to be a crafter to augment your stuff that there will be a problem.

DavidHunt
05.09.2012 , 12:10 PM | #26 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Kosef View Post
So...what will be the point of crafters now. Why allow any and everyone to just use an augment table to get augment slot. They could have simply allowed crafters to create an augment kit, that could be traded/sold, that a player could then in turn take to a augment table and use...but no.
Adding an augment to an item through the augment table will require an augment kit and credits. The kits can be traded and are created by crafters. RE'ing crafted items gives you the materials required to create augment kits.

Undorett
05.09.2012 , 12:25 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by GnatB View Post
This. Considering they cost maybe 3k per augmented item to make on average, selling for 20-30k is pretty decent profit. Try to sell for much more than that and people will just make their own.
It costs quite a bit more than this on "The Ebon Hawk"
Making one augmented gun will take me on average 6 tries. I am not home right now but that is 4 purchased items, 12 (8 of one 4 of the other) green items, and 4 blue items per try. So 24 of the purchased vials (500 credits each), 72 green materials (GTN normally 4k/10 or 400 each), 24 blue items (for armstech they are cheaper than other classes so around 8k/4), and i can sell the failed guns back at about 2k/gun to a vendor.
24x500 + 72x400 + 2000x24 - 5x~2000 = about 78,800 per gun for the cost to build - this doesn't include the 1.5hrs of crew time spent on crafting that could be used to harvest materials or gifts to sell on the GTN.

If you say i can just harvest those materials myself and then it is 100% profit, you are right. However, i could just sell those materials for the prices listed above to some other schmuck and he can make/sell them at a loss. I personally don't bother selling augmented guns for under 90k, people can go look for them elsewhere.

nezitx
05.09.2012 , 12:33 PM | #28
I play on a fairly average population server. I have ~13 mil credits (after mailbox and ship droid, and maybe a few other perks).

I've sold a couple augmented items for people that specifically wanted a certain look - both for 200k. I'd agree that except for weapons, there isn't a huge demand for this yet - mostly due to 99% of the population being unable to transfer set bonuses, and no gloves/boots for non-PVPers (until we start RE-ing black hole / campaign). I think as the game continues past Rakata and more looks are added in, finding someone with that special look you want will in higher demand.

But, I've sold probably two dozen augments that I've crafted, for anywhere between 90-130k. So I'd say that market is pretty booming. I'm Synthweaving and I wish I had an Armormech character just so I could be pumping out Aim and Cunning augments too.

I think it's stupid to freak out about the augment tables in 1.3 until we hear the details. I'm pretty confident that they'll tie them to crafting skills like they did the creation of augments.
Nezy - 50 Marauder (main)
Nez - 50 Operative (alt)
Nezix - First 50 Sorcerer on Vrook Lamar. (retired)

Mancer
05.09.2012 , 12:54 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by TalkingDinosaur View Post
^ Ignorance is bliss I guess.*

Obviously, augmenting a piece rather than rolling the dice when crafting will probably be expensive.

* /sarcasm
If the market is flooded with augmented gear wouldnt the price go down? Or did I miss your point?

/sarcasm off

Kellour
05.09.2012 , 02:40 PM | #30
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I almost see this as a way to IMPROVE the economy. Currently many find that the only kind of gear that sells well on the GTN is gear that already contains Augment slots. With the ability to add augment slots to non-critted gear, it opens up an entire market for regular, non-critted items to sell on the GTN. This still allows the min/maxers to get what they want (augment slots) while allowing crafters to sell their wares rather than breaking them down for mats and trying all over for a Crit.