Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Voting for ALL patches to run through PTS before going Live

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Voting for ALL patches to run through PTS before going Live

Adderdin
05.09.2012 , 06:11 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Farmbuyer View Post
THIS. Forum whiners complain about the lack of a public test server, but very few of them ever actually *use* a testing server when they're available. Damn few of them, because a) playing on a copy of their toon that doesn't get to keep its rewards never appeals to that kind of mindset, and b) they're incapable of writing a useful bug report. It would require some kind of effort on their part.

And then THIS. What they really mean is that they demand the PTS be online, and also everybody ELSE should go and do the testing.
hehehehehehehehe If only we could copy our chars to PTS i'd even give it a try.
I am playing on a standard/light server, I dont want to waste time leveling a new main on one out of 3 heavy servers (waiting for server merges or transfers) and they expect people to roll a new char on PTS, level it to 50, gear it up get a guild on PTS and do testing of end game PvP and PvE...
demotivators.despair.com/customerdisservicedemotivator.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vordy
Well great, then they dont have to fix this because you are leaving anyways....

Soltrooper
05.09.2012 , 06:13 AM | #32
I don't think this one would have been picked up on the PTR - without character copies I doubt there is a lot of Matrix Cubes on characters there.

The big hassle is the fact that it means there will be another patch in the week. And it has happened a lot. For Oceanic Players this is during peak play time. Not only that, while we are used to scheduled maintenance meaning we only get 6 days out of 7 to play, an unscheduled maintenance during peak time on another day will likely hit a scheduled raid night for a significant portion of players. Which means it is actually affecting the week. This is particularly the case for Wednesdays, Thursdays and Mondays which historically tend to be peak days. Very glad that Wednesday was changed as that is the most common raid day.

It would be really nice to have a policy that has unscheduled maintenance have different time windows, so that one portion of the player base isn't bearing the burden for all unscheduled as well as scheduled maintenance.

Kthx
05.09.2012 , 06:15 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Himeji_Endless View Post
Its BW's secret way to steal more of our sub money by inconveniencing us w/ fail programming and multiple downtime everyweek.
Ah, I see you have uncovered BioWare's secret business plan. The next step is to shot down the servers permanently, to save costs, while continuing to collect subscription revenues. Brilliant!

MasterKayote
05.09.2012 , 06:59 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Adderdin View Post
hehehehehehehehe If only we could copy our chars to PTS i'd even give it a try.
I am playing on a standard/light server, I dont want to waste time leveling a new main on one out of 3 heavy servers (waiting for server merges or transfers) and they expect people to roll a new char on PTS, level it to 50, gear it up get a guild on PTS and do testing of end game PvP and PvE...
This. Worst part is they COULD (and have already done so in beta!) let us create high level toons. Or was it some random generation of toons? /shrug .... point is they could do it. They may not be able to copy toons for some reason (apparently the Hero Engine didnt come equipped with an easy copy/paste function) but the whole leveling from scratch thing is definitely avoidable!

Zataos
05.09.2012 , 07:12 AM | #35
It's obvious to me why Bioware squashed the test server, in typical Bioware fashion they blame test server "leaked" info for the failure of their great patch 1.2, I really do believe that all of this companies problems can be traced back to that type of mentality.
The Chaoticas Legacy -The Shadowlands Server - (40k kills)
(Havaos Jug 50) (Devaos Sorc 50) (Vorhen BH 50) (Venaos Sin 50) (Xaos BH 50) (Zorgen Jug 50) (Zataos Mara 50) (Gwaraos BH 50) (Xenaos Mara 42) (Tavaos Sin 50) (Jenaos Snip 41) (Scaraos Op 27) (Ravaos Jug 31) (Xinaos Sorc 32) (Dreadaos - Jug 22)

KrittaB
05.09.2012 , 07:59 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Zataos View Post
It's obvious to me why Bioware squashed the test server, in typical Bioware fashion they blame test server "leaked" info for the failure of their great patch 1.2, I really do believe that all of this companies problems can be traced back to that type of mentality.
what does this even mean?

The PTS is only used for content patches. Do you people honestly think players would test maintenance patches? Would you? Think before you post.

CaliVenom
05.10.2012 , 02:35 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by KrittaB View Post
The PTS is only used for content patches. Do you people honestly think players would test maintenance patches? Would you? Think before you post.
actually i would, seeing as i like to see what new things they fix or attempt to fix, and what things they make improvements on, or attempt to make improvements on.

And by the looks of it, a lot of people would rather spend a bit of time, on a dead day checking out PTS (if they can copy their mains etc over) and make sure that in the live servers, there is nothing else broken, so it doesn't interrupt their regular play time. If there was never any issue, yeah there would be less people willing, but also as someone else mentioned they could give fancy rewards, like what they did with patch 1.2, if you leveled a character to lvl 10 on the public test server during the testing of patch 1.2 you got the title " ___ Last Line of Defense" for all your characters. I'm probably one of 1% of people on my server (aussie server) who has that title.... and that's kinda cool... there are many ways they can make it worth while for people to check out the PTS.

Liokae
05.10.2012 , 02:38 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Himeji_Endless View Post
Its BW's secret way to steal more of our sub money by inconveniencing us w/ fail programming and multiple downtime everyweek. Its ok though as I've given up on this game and am eagerly awaiting GW2 ... ive never seen a company treat their customers aka cash cows w/ such utter disrespect.

im surprised that more people havent left by now.
Now this post is just disappointing.

How could someone bring up "cash cows" and not go for the obvious "udder" pun?

Staavis_SC
05.10.2012 , 02:46 AM | #39
Gonna have to agree with the OP.

Why even have a PTS, if it's not being used to avoid SNAFUs like this?

Bad Form Bioware. Bad Form.
Look, we got four or five of the main characters on this ship. I think we're gonna be okay.