Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Blade barrier - 4pcs setbonus worth it for tanks?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Knight > Guardian
Blade barrier - 4pcs setbonus worth it for tanks?

rickihn
05.08.2012 , 04:34 AM | #1
So there have been a lot of debate about this, which is usually tainted with false assumptions. Therefore I set out with the MOX parser to hit and get hit by a few tauntauns on Ilum. I'm posting here in hope of people being able to consolidate my findings.

Turned out that without the setbonus, Blade barrier consistently absorbs a total of 705-707 damage.
With the 4pcs setbonus from rakata/columi/tionese it absorbs a total of 848-849 damage, which is indeed a 20% bonus.

I there after proceeded to test how much it would absorb dependant on changes in my stats. I found that nothing I could do would affect the amount absorbed: Removing buffs/items. I can therefore conclude that it does not scale with any of the following stats: Endurance, strength, armour, power, forcepower, absorb rating, shield rating, defence.

With this info in the backpack, I took a small look at the data from a from a fight with Karagga on nightmare(yes might not be the ideal fight to base anything on, but it was what I had handy). During the fight I took a total of 380158 damage over 388 seconds, which results in a damage taken per second of 979 (I know this is already affected with blade barrier, but using these numbers just as an estimate on how much damage is taken).

Blade barrier would absorb a total of:
With setbonus: 849damage/12secs = 71damage/sec
Without setbonus: 706damage/12secs = 59damage/sec

This means that out of a fight taking 979 damage/sec, the normal Blade barrier without setbonus would absorb 6% of the total damage, where as the improved Blade barrier would absorb 7.2%.

According to this crude estimate the 4pcs setbonus will result in a damage mitigation of 1.2% damage IF procced every 12 seconds!

Now the real question: Is the setbonus worth loosing 2 augment slots? Atm wearing full rakata and a couple of black hole items, I find that a defence augment will boost defence with a 0.43%(this depends on your personal stat balance and diminishing returns ofc). If I therefore manage to proc Blade barrier every time Blade storm is off CD, then yes the setbonus is preferable over 2x augments.

But do I actually manage to proc it that often? I suspect not, with the priority of Guardian slash and Hilt strike to keep up threat. My personal opinion atm would be that it probably equates to the same, having the setbonus or not.

Also the old debate of having points in Blade barrier or not? It does not scale, nor does it absorb a lot of damage, but with the potential of absorbing a total of arround 6% of incoming damage, then definitely find it worth while. No other tanking talents will have such a powerful effect.
Convergence Guild Info Join Today International SWTOR Guild

Samwiseee
05.08.2012 , 04:18 PM | #2
I just went with a full augmented orange set with rakata and black hole mods. I like me some raw stats.

xCOLBYJACKx
05.08.2012 , 05:37 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Samwiseee View Post
I just went with a full augmented orange set with rakata and black hole mods. I like me some raw stats.
I used to be adamantly holding on to my set bonus, but after doing hard modes for a while and having my blade barriers disappear in one hit, I'm transitioning to full augmented orange as well. Blade barrier already sucks. Sucks + 20% = still sucks. I basically treat it the same way I treat exit strategy on my infiltration shadow: It's a nice little bonus when it procs, but it's not useful enough to where you'd want to actually put effort into maximizing it.

Dacce
05.08.2012 , 11:48 PM | #4
aren't the set bonuses supposed to carry across with the armouring?

so you can essentially have 4pc bonus AND augments?

Or am I just completely wrong there?
Visage - Dace - Fat'Clam - Fistula - Shimini - Malikada

RDeanOU
05.09.2012 , 12:06 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Dacce View Post
aren't the set bonuses supposed to carry across with the armouring?

so you can essentially have 4pc bonus AND augments?

Or am I just completely wrong there?
With the new campaign gear that is correct. For the old Rakata/Columni pieces the set bonus is on the shell.

Midden
05.09.2012 , 08:10 PM | #6
Does anyone know if the PVP set bonus works for PVE? I.e. the PVP 4 set + 5% damage to players if guard on team member is within 15 meters. In this case a 5% damage boost to kill the mob.... would kill it faster... thus mitigate more damage than a + 20% boost to blade barrier?

*** updated post ... after trying some numbers if my DPS is 780 -800 (it says this on my melee damage screen) per sec as a tank, then 5% boost = 40 per sec which out performs 12 extra blade barrier. So if PVP gear works in PVE better using that for the set bonus. ohhh have I suggested a herasy!

SWTOR_TnT
05.15.2012 , 04:41 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Midden View Post
Does anyone know if the PVP set bonus works for PVE? I.e. the PVP 4 set + 5% damage to players if guard on team member is within 15 meters. In this case a 5% damage boost to kill the mob.... would kill it faster... thus mitigate more damage than a + 20% boost to blade barrier?

*** updated post ... after trying some numbers if my DPS is 780 -800 (it says this on my melee damage screen) per sec as a tank, then 5% boost = 40 per sec which out performs 12 extra blade barrier. So if PVP gear works in PVE better using that for the set bonus. ohhh have I suggested a herasy!
The +5% dmg bonus from the pvp set is a +5% dmg bonus to players only. So, this only applies when doing pvp. If you check your expertise tab it just adds a flat 5% to the total dmg to players section. This would not apply in pve content unless you were fighting like a mind controlled party member.