Cover: The Compendium of Knowledgeses

Gassygunslinger

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am playing both an Operative and a Scoundrel healer and I use cover on a regular basis.

As a Scoundrel at level 19 on Taris, in the h4 "Locust" mission the Guardian tank and a Commando DD went down due to LOS/range mistakes (los or force leap in the middle of a cast, jay!), I was then cover tanking the two remaining golds while the remaining Commando DD helped shooting them down. It was amazing, and the Trooper instantly wanted to have the cover mechanic for his class, too. :D

IMO it is perfectly viable to off-tank one or multiple adds via cover mechanics. If the tank is bad and also runs out of guardian shield range, you even get free aggro for doing so...

I am playing both an Operative and a Scoundrel healer and I use cover on a regular basis.

As a Scoundrel at level 19 on Taris, in the h4 "Locust" mission the Guardian tank and a Commando DD went down due to LOS/range mistakes (los or force leap in the middle of a cast, jay!), I was then cover tanking the two remaining golds while the remaining Commando DD helped shooting them down. It was amazing, and the Trooper instantly wanted to have the cover mechanic for his class, too. :D

IMO it is perfectly viable to off-tank one or multiple adds via cover mechanics. If the tank is bad and also runs out of guardian shield range, you even get free aggro for doing so...

Yeah, I had the same experience with that mission! I was always the last one left standing, and could even tank for a little while after the rest bit the dust. Versus ranged mobs, cover is crazy effective. Once I took down a big Champion boss droid after my group was decimated, simply by tanking it and DPS'ing its (droid) brains out. Made me feel pretty slick :p

Just started playing yesterday and I am confused on the tactic to use when a strong melee opponent closes while I am in cover. Should I stay there and use melee abilities, ect. Or should I stun and run? I tried stun and run against an Elite and he whomped me.

If you are a Scrapper then use Tendon Blast to slow them or Flash Grenade to freeze them and move to cover. DO NOT SHOOT THEM AT THAT WILL REMOVE THE EFFECTS.

When the 6 seconds are up you should be in cover and you Tank should have them on him.

My opinion of Take Cover is the mechanic is broken.

When I Take Cover I get shot even when behind a large objects the NPC shoot through the object to hit me in the head. Or shoot me while behind a hill or wall. (Shot goes through them)

So not only am I out of LINE OF SIGHT but also using TAKE COVER and still getting hit.

In the original Video when Star Wars TOR from developers came out it showed the Smuggler behind a barrier and he shoots over it with his gun but keeps his head down except for a peek above sometimes.

This you will never see in the game as it what we would really do in real life.

Instead when my Smuggler fires he stands up and takes shots in the head.

Now I know this is a Knowledge base but fixes need to be applied to this talent.

Thanks for this...I was just about to ask about my gunslinger's portable cover...I noticed it didn't give me a shield next to targets name or "cover" as a message when getting shot at, nice to know it does block some damage though, but I'll be looking for natural cover alot more often now.

• 2 months later...

Added some new 1.2 Patch stuff. Not a ton, but things like being able to crouch while immobilized, and getting a 60% AOE damage reduction with Hunker Down put a big 'ole grin on my face.

If there's something that I missed in the patch notes (I'm updating this guide as I download 1.2), please let me know! I'd hate to be the last person to know something like, "Cover now transforms all nearby Sith Inquisitors into Ewoks with hats".

(note that I -did- know that cover integrity that can be worn down is no longer in-game. I didn't add that to the guide, seeing as it's, well, no longer a thing, and because I never actually noticed it in-game and never was part of the original guide. One might say that I had missed something substantial in my original guide, but I like to think that I was just epically prescient!)

Edited by Gassygunslinger

• 4 weeks later...
It seems that there has been some bugginess with cover as of late. While I haven't really experienced it myself (I tend to be hit or miss with bugs... Only seem to get the uncommon ones!) it seems that rolling into cover can make things difficult. I suggest using crouch instead of rolling into cover.

Just a quick question since I don't know for sure where to ask.

Republican classes that use blaster pistols as main guns can use Imperial pistols and vice-versa?

In other words... If I make an imperial bounty hunter, will it be able to use my scoundrel pistols and vice-versa?

Hi Gassygunslinger and all Smugglers in here!! :cool:

I need some help, I'm fully PvP battlemaster Enforcer gear and now I'm having a hard time understanding which War Hero I should go with? The Enforcer kit only has one gun, and I'm a gunslinger so do I have to select the Tech gear?? I gun wield 2x blasters, the only other gun in the Enforcer kit is the Shotgun and I don't have that skill

What's the difference in between Tech and Enforcer?

And What's the difference between Rated and non-rated?

Can anyone help me figure this out? I would hate buying the wrong gear :p

Just a quick question since I don't know for sure where to ask.

Republican classes that use blaster pistols as main guns can use Imperial pistols and vice-versa?

In other words... If I make an imperial bounty hunter, will it be able to use my scoundrel pistols and vice-versa?

Didn't know the GOP had much of a presence in a galaxy far far away... Who knew? :p

I kid. And yes, technically. But you have to remember a few things. First, anything you equip on one character will be bound, and un-tradable to the other. So you can't use a pistol, out-level it, then send it to your BH. Though you wouldn't want to if you could, because Smugglers use Cunning and BH's use Aim. They are two varieties of pistols, just as there are Cunning rifles for Agents and Aim rifles for Troopers. To use one that isn't designed for your class would be a waste.

Now, what you CAN do, is take un-bound Custom weapons from one faction, and send it to your character on the other faction. Prior to 1.2, whether you believe it or not, I found this gem on the Republic GTN. It was crafted by an Imperial, and somehow got an augment slot pre-1.2. Don't know how. But you'll notice the description says, "Exceptional", NOT "Augmented" like augmented custom gear post-1.2. At the time, I believe it was one of a kind... Anywho, the above example is technically a BH weapon that I have now turned into a custom Smuggler weapon. I highly recommend Two-Fingers Revenge for those that want to rock the dual revolvers (prior to finding it, I had only ever seen a main-hand version of the gun the smuggler uses in the Return trailer).

Hi Gassygunslinger and all Smugglers in here!! :cool:

I need some help, I'm fully PvP battlemaster Enforcer gear and now I'm having a hard time understanding which War Hero I should go with? The Enforcer kit only has one gun, and I'm a gunslinger so do I have to select the Tech gear?? I gun wield 2x blasters, the only other gun in the Enforcer kit is the Shotgun and I don't have that skill

What's the difference in between Tech and Enforcer?

And What's the difference between Rated and non-rated?

Can anyone help me figure this out? I would hate buying the wrong gear :p

Well, I've found that the set bonuses (to abilities, not stats) from Enforcer set tend to favor Scoundrel. Field Tech seems to be more for Gunslingers. However, Enforcer and Field Tech are both DPS-y, and probably not a huge difference between them if you exchange a piece here or there, so long as you get the 4-piece set bonus on one set. Hell, I go with 4 pieces of Field Tech (for the set bonus), 1 piece of enforcer (because I like the hat with the partially covered face), and field medic pistol (because the other pistols look far too dorky to even consider).

And the only difference between rated and non-rated gear, is the rated gear is orange. It's just a more "prestigious" color variant to show people how many ranked coms you can stand to grind. And apparently orange was prestigious. Who knew? :p

• 2 months later...

why is it that allot of places in the game u cant take cover as the game says (effect unknown)???

like on the firegrill of huttball,on the platform infront of spawn on the defender side of voidstar

and while standing on the support beams of the cannon of denova warzone! can this issue be fixed???

why is it that allot of places in the game u cant take cover as the game says (effect unknown)???

like on the firegrill of huttball,on the platform infront of spawn on the defender side of voidstar

and while standing on the support beams of the cannon of denova warzone! can this issue be fixed???

Yeah, generally you can't be standing on top of objects. While annoying (and sometimes too restrictive), I think they're trying to make sure you aren't kneeling with half of your you in midair, with your portable shield generator and front leg resting on nothing.

• 1 month later...

This is the best practical guide to using gameplay mechanics I have seen yet in this forum.

I started an IA as one of my first characters, played it for maybe 4 hours and never touched him again out of frustration. Lately I've been thinking about starting up a smuggler but was very much not thrilled about using cover. I came here looking to see if Smuggler had alternative builds that didn't require using cover and found this guide... and it is awesome! I wish I'd read this months ago.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you.... to Gassygunslinger and all the contributors he quoted.

• 2 months later...

Ok, so... didn't see the answer to this particular question.

Cover seems very Line of Sight based. That is, if you are hunkered behind a crate, you don't get hit. If your animation makes you stand up, you get hit more often.

I refer specifically to testing I've done between the Smuggler's Charged Shot vs the Agent's Sniper Shot.

Smugglers remain crouched down while their ability charges. They only stand up to deliver the shot. Hence, while charging I keep seeing "Cover" over my head at incoming fire.

Agents stand up while charging. Then they shoot. And then they kneel down again. Hence, I see a lot more damage numbers from incoming fire.

Now I try to explain this to people, as its one reason I chose a Smuggler over an Agent, despite them being "mirror image" classes. Everyone insists "you're still technically in Cover, so its no different" and yet...

Yes, they have the same basic skills. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. And some may think the animation is merely cosmetic. But the animation of Consular's Project was proved to slow damage delivery vs the Inquisitor's Shock. Which is why they patched the boulders to appear faster.

So... has anyone else noticed the "animated" differences while Covered causing them to take damage more or less often?

Edited by seven_deadlies

Yes, cover is line of sight based. If you're clever enough, you can get a cover bonus on slopes even. Just crouch in front of stuff, any stuff, and there's a good chance you can get the cover bonus.

As for Snipe versus Charged Burst, I believe they're still the same. But I'll investigate it none the less.

Edited by Gassygunslinger

• 7 months later...