Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Usernames and Character Names - You will be judged, choose wisely!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Usernames and Character Names - You will be judged, choose wisely!

Ganrax
05.07.2012 , 06:33 PM | #21
Maybe this is true if you are on an RP server but any other server most people couldn't care less what your name is. You may get laughed at if your name is xXLegolasXx or some **** but I have never seen anyone get passed over for a raid spot or a guild spot just because of their name.

SirSensi
05.08.2012 , 12:05 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Scorpienne View Post
Ah, no worries. A "blunt" is a reference to smokeable drugs. Google it. Just maybe not on a work or parental computer.

Paige
Again, not intending to make anyone upset.
I do know what a "blunt" is, (I'm 33...) just don't see how it is offensive.
Recreational terms, ok. But names of medicine, thats getting a bit overly zealous, IMHO. Sure, if said person is being a dipstick in gen chat, or just straight up acting like a fool, I can understand. But that could be anyone... even someone with a "prestigous" name, or an original name.

I do have to agree with most others here who say that it is different depending on the server. It is a certian mindset of people and it varies by server I expect to see more "proper" names on RP servers, and not so much on PvP and PvE servers. But, I have a few toons on an RP server and I've seen some pretty questionable names even.
So it varies by the player. A PvP "moron" would probably roll a questionable toon name on a RP server just for the "lols".
SQUADRON 238 |Beta Tester|
< The Trichome Legacy >

Sensi

PinkiePiePower
05.08.2012 , 01:20 AM | #23
On a RP server, I understand judging and accepted/denying people based off their username. It's not understandable on a PvP/PvE server. Quite frankly, on a non-RP server, it's absolutely ridiculous to care about someone's (non-offensive) name. Just because their name isn't something that you care for doesn't mean you can't play with that person.

Rock_Spider
05.08.2012 , 02:01 AM | #24
This is a game OP. Games are there for the sole reason of having fun. If someone has fun by running around with a wierd or "tacky" name then he is succeeding. Power to him. As with every single topic regarding taste.... "to each his own". You cannot regulate taste or define it. Especially on the internet.....

Maybe some people just don't enjoy super serious names and cannot relate to them. I've seen some very odd names on here that would give a Norwegian ice fisherman a run for his money. A name like that I have no connection to and would not enjoy for 50 levels, yet by your standards you would think its great and creative. If every single person in this game had a serious name according to your listing it would get boring and feel exactly like Im playing in a random name generated game.... boring.

Every now and then I might see a funny playful name and it might make me chuckle for 5 seconds while questing. I value those 5 seconds of random chuckle now and then, but if you had your way they would disappear. Or alternatively I might see a terrible name and it makes me frown at the poor retard for making yet another luke skywalker variation. Either way.... it provokes an emotional response. Id rather have a response whether its positive or negative over your idea of a random generated name game where people don't express themselves with their names.

Either way you look at it... As you said... the name of a toon is the first impression one gets of a person. If everyone just random generates cool names or makes up some creative name then there is no personality in the name. You wont be able to make a first impression. If I see a playful name variation of "Chewbacca" then I can tell the guy has a sense of humour and isnt too serious. If its a ****** variation of Skywalker then I know he is probably under 18 and its best for me personally to avoid.

Either way... Ill take the bad names and good names in all their glory over your idea of a stale random name generated game.

Ristle
05.08.2012 , 02:09 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Scorpienne View Post
I politely and respectfully disagree with the statement that "no one cares" about names on non-RP servers.
I was making a group the other day and the only DPS that wanted my flashpoint was called Xoxocloudoxox.

I assumed he would be bad. He was. I like to use them as a warning device.

My favorite quote when trying to tell him to run away from the flames in Athiss was "but it keeps chasing me" accompanied in my mind with a :<.

On that note, my character name is Xxsupersithsephyroht13xx

/sarcasm
"Use the force, Luke" - Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi Council

Ronín : Tomb of Freedon Nadd
Recruitment Thread | Guild Website

PLynkes
05.08.2012 , 02:11 AM | #26
I dunno, I think maybe having an idiotic name is a good thing if you are going to behave like an idiot. At least it gives us fair warning. Ran into somebody calling himself Assbutler yesterday, and his name turned out to be a perfect indicator of his juvenile griefing behaviour. It was like a sign saying "Keep away from me, I are stupid."

Though I must say, despite his extremely irritating way of behaving, his name did give me a chuckle.

YodaHardstyle
05.08.2012 , 02:29 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by PinkiePiePower View Post
On a RP server, I understand judging and accepted/denying people based off their username. It's not understandable on a PvP/PvE server. Quite frankly, on a non-RP server, it's absolutely ridiculous to care about someone's (non-offensive) name. Just because their name isn't something that you care for doesn't mean you can't play with that person.
I completely understand the importance of names on an RP server and and I believe immersion in that context should be respected.

However, I don't really care too much on the PVP server I'm on. If the name is offensive, however, I won't group with that person, and will probably put him or her on ignore. If the name is some typical juvenile idiocy, ditto, especially if I notice a lot of accompanying spacebar jumping spasticity.

Mia_Sohma
05.08.2012 , 03:30 AM | #28
I mostly play on PvE and whilst I've not really had the pleasure of being in an active SW:TOR guild, I can say from past experiences on 'that other game' is that when looking at people to recruit, guilds do not generally judge people by their name.
I've met people with some pretty stupid names in-game (if I'm being honest) who turned out to be excellent players and really nice fellows.
Okay, so these are definitely the minority, as like most of the other posters in this thread, I see a stupid name and I know to expect an idiot (and this expectation is usually met).
But like many others said, I agree that this should matter in RP... but not in PvE. People have the right to expression and if you don't want to risk playing with them (like people I know with silly names, they could be good players and people!!), then don't, that's your perogative and your choice to make.

Just as a little bit of a side-anecdote, I once saw a player on 'that other game' called EileenDover. I swear, I was laughing for about 5 mins. It was a low-level character so I have no idea if the name made it to end-game, but at least me and my friends had a good laugh about it at the time.
Me and my significant other - when referred to as a couple - were called Leanova (which is a combination of our character names). Now, this has significance to us, but in-game and used as a character name, most people would see it and think it a pun and label it as a 'silly' or 'inappropriate' name, which just goes to show that what may be silly for one person may not be for another.
Just to add that it was a nickname our friends gave us and never actually made it into game as a proper character as my significant other quit and I generally not do use silly names for my characters; they are always serious.

This world is faaaar too judgemental as it is, so I try to keep an open mind when it comes to these things.

kalimarr
05.08.2012 , 04:13 AM | #29
OP - the main body of your post should probaly be kept to your guilds admissions website page. Of course you are right, names shouldnt be offensive (sweat words, racial slurs etc etc). But everything else you are talking about is subjective and far too open for interpretation. If you and your guild dont accept or group with players who's names you find un-immersive or inappropriate then thats up to you and you guild.

I remember having a good debate with someone on the LotRO forums regarding names. He was on a RP server and said he would report someone with the name "Nightblade" citing it as in-appropriate and against the lore and borrowed from another game. When someone pointed out that Aragorn's ranger name, "Strider", was also from a computer game then he went all "The great Prof. Tolkien himself chose that name so its allowed.".... yes he also chose Ghan-Buri-Ghan and trolls called Tom, Bert and Bill. In the same respect, George Lucas has some (IMO) silly names - Naboo anyone? Ok I cant think of anymore

Yes first impressions are important but unless the name is very offensive it shouldnt be judged as anything more than "just a name". I've seen good players with bad or silly names and vice versa.

PLynkes
05.08.2012 , 05:00 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by kalimarr View Post
In the same respect, George Lucas has some (IMO) silly names - Naboo anyone? Ok I cant think of anymore
Biggs Darklighter is a pretty stupid name. Cool 70s moustache, though.