Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Usernames and Character Names - You will be judged, choose wisely!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Usernames and Character Names - You will be judged, choose wisely!

Scorpienne
05.07.2012 , 10:14 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by SirSensi View Post
And I am not intending to piss anyone off here, this thread is well written, and very informative. Just curious as to why the "blunt-tacular" is under the offensive listing.
Ah, no worries. A "blunt" is a reference to smokeable drugs. Google it. Just maybe not on a work or parental computer.

Paige

geulsae
05.07.2012 , 11:18 AM | #12
Personally, I don't care if they pick silly names, they give me good chuckle.
I enjoy running across, 'Orly-wan', 'Qui-gong', 'Duke'skyvvalker (that's with double v)', 'Agent-ooseven (with the title Agent..)', 'Papa-smurf (chiss)', etc.
Now if they're really offensive, like having derogatory terms/swear words, then report them.
But, if you're not on RP server, don't get so uptight about other people's names.

Baha-Dura
05.07.2012 , 11:54 AM | #13
I'm a newbie to online gaming, this is my first in fact. And I had fun creating a first name. Certainly no need to identify with my own personal life or be "noticed" by being funny or silly. So as the name only reflected the character I'd eventually become any interesting name would do. But what's the excuse for not being able to think up an interesting name conducive to the game environment when they provide an abundance of randomized name you can choose from. At least 1out of about 8 sound pretty cool and you can roll through them as long as you like.

I created my own name "Dr'zhur" [druh-zhur] as a matter of something easy to pronounce for my first character. Little did I know as I progressed and became a Sage healer would I get an appropriate nick of "Dr" [doctor] . But I thought that was just fate and pretty cool.

Remember, these names need to be text in conversations. it's irritating when you have to resort to initials or some abbreviated version because some guy's name is a dozen characters long or too strange to form a decent nick.

Scorpienne
05.07.2012 , 11:56 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by geulsae View Post
Personally, I don't care if they pick silly names, they give me good chuckle. {snip} But, if you're not on RP server, don't get so uptight about other people's names.
To each their own. Some people won't care about silly user names. Some people will. Both are valid ways of reacting to the world.

The point was to ask people to consciously and deliberately choose usernames that project the image that they are trying to project.

Paige

Ronyo
05.07.2012 , 02:16 PM | #15
This is something I have to agree with. While silly names are good for a chuckle, it gets old. The name does not have to be completely original, but at least show you put some thought into. Personally, I like to take ancient Greek and Roman names and twist the spelling around. Nobody famous, but there are some good supporting historical characters that make good MMO names. I would much rather see "Darth Xerxes" than "Master Cheeseburger".

geulsae
05.07.2012 , 03:12 PM | #16
Again, your reason applies to RP server. I agree 100% that this applies to RPers.
But no one cares about how his/her character's name will reflect on others on non-RP servers.
Not in swtor, not in that big MMO, and not in all the other MMOs. I've never met anyone who said 'oh let's not invite him because he's got a ridiculous name'. That would only happen in RP servers.
In fact, if someone brought up this issue in a non-RP server, people would get more offended by him/her than the Guywithastick.
I mean if goofy names irk you so much, Coruscant/Dromund Kass chat should be enough to make you reroll.

Quote: Originally Posted by Scorpienne View Post
To each their own. Some people won't care about silly user names. Some people will. Both are valid ways of reacting to the world.

The point was to ask people to consciously and deliberately choose usernames that project the image that they are trying to project.

Paige

Scorpienne
05.07.2012 , 04:08 PM | #17
Again, your reason applies to RP server. I agree 100% that this applies to RPers.
But no one cares about how his/her character's name will reflect on others on non-RP servers.
I politely and respectfully disagree with the statement that "no one cares" about names on non-RP servers. It is my belief and experience that some people do care. I completely agree with you that some people don't care.

Apparently we have different views and experiences. Diversity is a glorious thing.

Paige

ScarletBlaze
05.07.2012 , 04:25 PM | #18
I run a guild and unless the name is offensive the name doesn't reallly go into whether or not we accept them. We are also on a roleplay server .

What goes in for us choosing a person is

1. A person being respectful to the guild and outside the guild.
2. Able to follow our basic rules for guild membership
3. A willingness to help one another and working together as a group.

I for one refuse to worry about names unless they are offensive. A lot of people don't use the name generators and I don't think its necessry and some may use names from another game because they have friends that recognize them with that name.

If the name is against the TOS then that is another matter. There are avenues for those.

Will I roleplay with someone with a silly name, yea most likey mainly because I don't look at names and titles above their heads when I'm roleplaying. I wait for them to introduce their character and I will introduce myself as well should I want the person to know my name in a roleplay.

If I haven't introduce myself and they use my name I will most likely ignore them since I haven't introduced myself.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Guild Roleplays: http://republicexplorerscorp.enjin.com/activity
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/vLlZlR

levitacus
05.07.2012 , 04:41 PM | #19
Personally, I don't care if they pick silly names, they give me good chuckle.
I enjoy running across, 'Orly-wan', 'Qui-gong', 'Duke'skyvvalker (that's with double v)', 'Agent-ooseven (with the title Agent..)', 'Papa-smurf (chiss)', etc.
Now if they're really offensive, like having derogatory terms/swear words, then report them.
But, if you're not on RP server, don't get so uptight about other people's names.
lol papa-smurf i gotta say thats awesome! now i should mention i do not RP and the names levitacus and leviathn i have used for nearly a decade, if that is offensive to you by no means are u required to group with me or have me in your guild but also should i feel compelled to change or no longer use a name like levitacus because it may offend? In an RP setting i understand the fustration with variations of skywalker and revan etc... but if someone wants to be darth smurf-schmukatelli is that really so bad? i have purposely left out blatently offensive suggestions ie drug references sexually derogatory terms and anatomy as i feel they attract enough attention, but as for silly names who doesn't laugh when they see a good one liner?

this was not a response to what i have quoted merely got a good chuckle out of papa-smurf quoted for reference.

Rodreck
05.07.2012 , 05:00 PM | #20
As has been stated numerous times, rp, then 100% correct. As the previous poster stated silly names can be awesome if done correctly. I had a character named Bustmeguts in anoyther mmo.