Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I really dislike Nar Shaddaa in SWTOR.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
I really dislike Nar Shaddaa in SWTOR.

Path-x
05.07.2012 , 03:34 PM | #1
Nar Shaddaa has been one of my favourite planets from EU. I really hate the whole "Las Vegas in Star Wars" paradigm that SWTOR forced upon EU. Nar Shaddaa is a complete opposite to Vegas' glamour and wealth. It is a dark, filthy and poor place. All the fancy, expensive, colourful lights everywhere makes it look like Coruscant at night rather than Nar Shaddaa.

I know those that are "new" to the planet probably like the "Las Vegas" parallel but to me it is just annoying since it ruined the way it was previously established in EU.

sithlordcip
05.07.2012 , 03:38 PM | #2
Whats EU?
Killing Jedi is my hobby!

Path-x
05.07.2012 , 03:40 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by sithlordcip View Post
Whats EU?
Expanded Universe. Basically everything that is not a film.

Wegabe_Awock
05.07.2012 , 05:00 PM | #4
I've got to say, I like Nar Shaddaa for the most part. They could tone down the bright signs and lights a tad, though. From what we know of Nar Shaddaa, it is somewhat glamorous on the surface, with crime and poverty in the residential districts and lower levels. It is like Coruscant in many ways, but it should give off a more "Run-down" vibe.

Just my "2-cents".
Various characters on Jedi Covenant Server
Formerly Wegabe Awock - Star Wars Galaxies (Ahazi/Flurry)

Referral link (for new players and ex-subscribers) -http://www.swtor.com/r/B48mTP

Charon
05.07.2012 , 06:14 PM | #5
I liked Nar Shaddaa on a Bounty Hunter and Smuggler, they feel natural there, but for the other classes nar shaddaa feels boring.

As for the look of Nar Shaddaa some of the parts were glamorous you see it in Kotor 2 just not the rest, the quest areas you usually go too aren't rich looking at all.

Andronicos
05.07.2012 , 10:49 PM | #6
Although I don't like Nar Shadda because it feels like just a reskin of Coruscant, I do like that it is a different part of Nar Shadda, the nice rich part rather than the slums they always show in the other games where it appears.
Darth Securos - Dark Lord of the Sith
Captain Galen Sunlighter - Just a simple man making his way on the galaxy
Agent Keldran Reus - "Corellian ale, shaken not stirred"

Path-x
05.08.2012 , 10:48 AM | #7
Thanks for replies everyone.

Quote:
From what we know of Nar Shaddaa, it is somewhat glamorous on the surface, with crime and poverty in the residential districts and lower levels. It is like Coruscant in many ways, but it should give off a more "Run-down" vibe..
As opposed to Coruscant which is dark, poor and infested with crime in mid and lower levels, Nar Shaddaa is dark, filthy and infested with crime everywhere.

Quote:
the quest areas you usually go too aren't rich looking at all.
Well there are these fancy lights and holo trees everyone. Even Duros sector is full of them, which is (ironically) according to the SWTOR "codex" one of the poorest sectors of Nar Shaddaa.

I wouldn't mind if only "the promenade" and its proximity looked fancy but they just messed it up.

Arodin
05.08.2012 , 11:12 AM | #8
I like it. It's one of my favorite planets.

I'm not a big EU expert, but I think the time period is a factor in the shinier version of Nar Shaddaa we see in SWTOR. The Nar Shaddaa you may have read about in a novel was most likely set hundreds or thousands of years later, plenty of time for a Vegas-like NS to fall into total despair. It makes more sense that it was once a successful, prosperous place that fell apart over time than if it was always the same.

Thebazilly
05.08.2012 , 11:14 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Arodin View Post
I like it. It's one of my favorite planets.

I'm not a big EU expert, but I think the time period is a factor in the shinier version of Nar Shaddaa we see in SWTOR. The Nar Shaddaa you may have read about in a novel was most likely set hundreds or thousands of years later, plenty of time for a Vegas-like NS to fall into total despair. It makes more sense that it was once a successful, prosperous place that fell apart over time than if it was always the same.
The issue is that Nar Shaddaa was always an awful, dirty place. In the KOTOR games it was one of the planets you visited, and was nowhere near as neon-shiny as it is in this game.

Nydus
05.08.2012 , 11:35 AM | #10
I'm not sure I agree.

You see a different side to Nar Shadaa than in SWTOR, but I think you get the dirty dark Nar Shadaa when you get into the bowels of the city. You get the neon Nar Shadaa when you are in the affluent upper parts of the city.

Perhaps the entry point should have been the bottom and you work your way up .

They were definitely channeling Bladerunner / Cyberpunk in their design, and that isn't a bad thing in my books.

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)