Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Color crystals and the lore

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Color crystals and the lore

Rzacron
05.07.2012 , 01:17 AM | #251
I dont mind any color, Dark or Lightside orientation, but.... BLACK CORED CRYSTALS ARE NON CANON AND DESTROY MY IMMERSION! and they dont look cool anyway imo, just had to get that out.
Kill or be Killed

MORTTUUM
05.07.2012 , 02:38 AM | #252
Quote: Originally Posted by sol_ View Post
I'm less worried about the color and more about the length of the blades on the lightsabers. They closer resemble the dimensions of a baseball bat and looks even more so when a guardian is carrying it around like one. Im tempted to start levelling a sith warrior because my JK looks so stupid holding his lightsaber.
Two-handed grip on a LightSabre, baseball bat, mace, or hand-and-a-half / 2-handed sword... all pretty much the same thing. What's wrong with that? I never lost a fight in Live Steel holding my Macziejiewski (sp?) Warbrand (Crusader-era 1-1/2 sword), and I held it like a Hockey stick. What works, works...
I hate violence. I'm just really, really prepared for Peace.

Farstrider
05.07.2012 , 02:45 AM | #253
It has likely been stated allready, but I feel the need to post it;

Simply put, this is the Old Republic... Jedi, as the lore states, lit sabers of varying colours and hues. More ordered and uniformity of saber colour seems only to appear towards the prequel era and beyond, if you take EU into account it begins to become less uniform the further we get from the prequels and original trilogies... Stang, even Skywalker's saber in RotJ was originally going to be yellow, but I think it couldnt be rotoscoped(?) properly so they settled on green.

I did read that one of the reasons Sith crystals where more often red than not was that they introduced they're own blood to the synthesising process.. Any thoughts on that?

The visual appearance of our Old Republic has been retconned or re-envisioned to give a semblance of the visual style of the Star Wars fans are familiar with, the original comic books bore little similarity to anything in the game now.. They really do look like two different IPs... There was no uniformity between Jedi and they lit whichever colour they wanted which was a reflection of this non-uniformity. In some cases they did not wield a Lightsaber in battle nor even carry one...

Pexalottle
05.07.2012 , 03:55 AM | #254
This is why more people should play as non-force users.

atlasalmighty
05.07.2012 , 04:18 AM | #255
If I a sith find an ancient lightsaber crystal connected to an ancient jedi ghost I am going to want that power right?
Big BS

Laris_Rai
05.07.2012 , 06:58 AM | #256
If they restricted it people would just complain about not being able to have the lightsaber color they wanted. So of course Bioware is letting people have the crystal of their choice.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Captain_Zone
05.07.2012 , 08:21 AM | #257
News Flash, traddies. Alignment Restrictions are NON-Canon. Therefore, they are not coming back. Deal.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

VanorDM
05.07.2012 , 09:56 AM | #258
Quote: Originally Posted by Laris_Rai View Post
If they restricted it people would just complain about not being able to have the lightsaber color they wanted.
They did restrict it, and did so in a way that made no real sense.

If they had restricted it based on faction, so Sith = Red and Jedi = Blue or Green then there would of been less issues IMO.

As it stands though they did it based on LS/DS which is not canon in the least.

Belpheghor
05.10.2012 , 12:29 AM | #259
Quote: Originally Posted by VanorDM View Post
They did restrict it, and did so in a way that made no real sense.

If they had restricted it based on faction, so Sith = Red and Jedi = Blue or Green then there would of been less issues IMO.

As it stands though they did it based on LS/DS which is not canon in the least.
Those are the only 3 colors that really should have restrictions imho, since there is a history/tradition with those, where as the others aren't linked as much to Star Wars canon.

A lot of peeps bring up Samuel Jackson's Mace Windu purple blade, lol, I guess he must be an MMO player, because he cried and cried to George Lucas and got his way.

But I agree with you Vanor, those are the traditional colors everyone knows well and should be faction specific. VAST majority of the player base knows Star Wars not from the novels, but from the movies/tv shows, so red=sith, green/blue=jedi is kinda a no brainer to keep intact.

To be fair about it, my suggestion was that if you REALLY wanted the opposing side's crystal you'd have to "work" (I know, a bad word in an MMO) to get it by having a polar opposite alignment of either dark V for Jedi or light V for Sith.

That way if you've got your heart set on it for role playing purposes it would kinda make sense, only a true dark Jedi would get the red, or vice versa.

That way the norm wouldn't be broken and shattered like it is now.

3 colors to have some restrictions isn't asking for much with the TON of colors available atm. And btw, even though the black core colors are not canon, I for one love them and love all the range of colors, but some things should be segregated for the sake of the lore. Sure, it's the Old Republic, so rules are a bit different, but for the flow and continuity of the franchise this makes sense to keep intact.

EicyLightrider
05.10.2012 , 01:19 AM | #260
Quote: Originally Posted by Belpheghor View Post
Why is Bioware letting kids on Sith side use blues and greens for color crystals? Those are Jedi colors, through and through, Guardian and Consular, not Sith.

Give Sith variations on reds, maybe a black red, a light red, an orange red, and all the neutral colors like white, grey, black, etc, but NOT green and blue, it's just wrong.

Yellow was bad enough (Sentinel), it seems like Bioware is making a mockery of Star Wars lore, the new Legacy system is absurd, now everyone wants to use Sith purebloods for Jedi and Republic roles....

They're blurring the lines between the factions WAY too much imho.
So first you state it's messing with lore (which it clearly isn't). Then when that's debunked you say you can't target enemies because you can't tell them apart from friendlies..... can't...tell...if trolling
ii████ii!!ii███████████████) JawaP*n*s