Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PT vs. Merc??

XSullyX
05.04.2012 , 05:02 PM | #1
I don't thing that there is a post 1.2 topic about this yet. I just hit lvl 10 and have to choose between the two AC's. I'm told that the two Ac's are a lot more different that the two trooper ones so I thought I'd ask here. So is one better that the other by a large margin in PvP or PvE? I mostly prefer range DPS game play, but I found that the Trooper Vanguard is actually a lot of fun with good range DPS as well. Also I'm not really into the post 50 game right now so that's not really a big factor for me. Any general feel/play-style/info would be appreciated.

Sully

mamosh
05.04.2012 , 07:02 PM | #2
well i got both at 50 and really prefer the pt over the merch for pvp. pve wise depends if you want more melee or range playstyle or if you want to heal then merch is the way to go
Spoiler

Amien
05.04.2012 , 07:07 PM | #3
I have a 27 merc. And a 14 pt (lol!) And I wish I hadn't wasted my time leveling up my merc. At this point. : / hahaha
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
New Thread:http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=297

FigeroMentel
05.04.2012 , 09:02 PM | #4
There's a reason why about 80% of BHs go Powertech.
Martha Mentel Dahlquist Mentel
Figero Mentel Carvala Mentel
Annek Mentel Jelal Mentel

Ricktur
05.05.2012 , 12:07 AM | #5
curious. . .

general consensus is that there are more mercs. . .
Sgt. Boos Macarrage - Republic Trooper/Vanguard - PVE Tank Spec
Prophecy of the Five - US East PVP
Republic Commandos: First Ones In, Last Ones Out. Never Quit. Never Fail.

FigeroMentel
05.05.2012 , 05:20 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Ricktur View Post
curious. . .

general consensus is that there are more mercs. . .
Alright, let me rephrase that;

There's a reason why most Mercs don't make it to 50 before the gamer smashes his keyboard.
Martha Mentel Dahlquist Mentel
Figero Mentel Carvala Mentel
Annek Mentel Jelal Mentel

XSullyX
05.05.2012 , 10:45 AM | #7
Thanks for the help so far guys,

So how melee centric is PT combat? There weapons slots are one pistol and a shield generator right? Also how is PT and AoE attacks?

Sully

XSullyX
05.05.2012 , 12:32 PM | #8
Wowzers.
I just found a guide (It was at the top of the PT forum thread. I don't know why i didn't see it last time i looked. ) written by Taugrimm that is fantastic. If anybody come in to this thread with similar questions,
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=154123
head there and read up. Also great for Vanguard troopers.

If anybody knows of an equivalent, hell even close, guide for Mercs please post it.

Sully

Faulkal
05.05.2012 , 12:53 PM | #9
Someone help me out here. I have a lvl 14 pt and it's a lot of fun (pyro spec) . I tried doing some searching and the only answer I could find was "playstyle". What's the biggest differences in merc pyro and pt pyro? Or are they about the same in terms of dps? Utility?

Lysico
05.05.2012 , 04:22 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Faulkal View Post
Someone help me out here. I have a lvl 14 pt and it's a lot of fun (pyro spec) . I tried doing some searching and the only answer I could find was "playstyle". What's the biggest differences in merc pyro and pt pyro? Or are they about the same in terms of dps? Utility?
Pyro PT has more synergy with the middle spec (ie your rail shot will ignore more armor and hit a ton harder).

Pyro PT is lightyears better then the merc pyro..