Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Should I avoid using [Flirt] option as a Jedi Knight for RP purpose??

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Should I avoid using [Flirt] option as a Jedi Knight for RP purpose??

Highsis
05.04.2012 , 05:35 PM | #1
************No spoilers please! I've just started playing!***********

It is my knowledge that Jedi are strictly forbidden from any romantic relationships.

Does that include a brief entertainment like going into bars and flirting with dancers?

How far does the Jedi code stretch in such case? I don't think we are forbidden to have fun; would using [Flirt] option be viable as a jedi knight for RP purpose?

DeutschGamer
05.04.2012 , 05:41 PM | #2
If you're seriously going to play as a follow the code Jedi, I'd avoid most if not all flirt choices. Jedi are kind to all and they know how to joke, but they do not make advances or try to seduce under any normal circumstance.

But its up to you how you RP your character.

Imo the Jedi Consular would be more up your alley for that kind of play, you rarely get flirt chances and for the most part the voice is just very neutral and unassuming.
Its all the force's fault.

Corso is my sidekick..or more specifically that little monkey you dress up in a tux and sit in a corner to look interesting but in reality doesn't really do anything.

Hyfy
05.04.2012 , 05:45 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by DeutschGamer View Post
Imo the Jedi Consular would be more up your alley for that kind of play, you rarely get flirt chances and for the most part the voice is just very neutral and unassuming.
Neutral is not the word I would use to describe it. Sterile almost seems an understatement even. I say this in regards to the male Consular as the female Consular seems to have a bit more life to her voice then say someone from the movie 1984.
US. ARMY Military Police Corps

Sarcasm, a bodies natural defense against stupid

Birna
05.04.2012 , 06:22 PM | #4
Woof, I completely disagree, I find the male consular slightly more lively than the female one. She's particularly lifeless in her "romance."

They're both aggressively zen, though, no matter how you slice it.

grania
05.05.2012 , 08:17 AM | #5
Wow if the female consular has more life in her voice than I'd really hate to hear the male.. I mean unless I was having trouble sleeping or something >.>
--,-'-{## ##}-'-,--
"Mama, I dies your character, sorree!"

Hyfy
05.05.2012 , 08:39 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by grania View Post
Wow if the female consular has more life in her voice than I'd really hate to hear the male.. I mean unless I was having trouble sleeping or something >.>
Childrens bedtime story reading would of worked well for him.

Yaesive
05.05.2012 , 08:58 AM | #7
In my belief you need to look at the timeline and when the SWTOR is occurring. For this reason flirt is allowed and relationships are not forbidden (yet). So weigh it that way.
Yaesive | Jo'lin | Fojea
Jedi Sage | Jedi Guardian | Smuggler
Jedi Covenant - Outer-Rim Recon Battalion Formerly Canderous Ordo
"Do or Do Not. There is no Try" - Yoda

alricka
05.05.2012 , 08:59 AM | #8
The whole thing really depends on what kind of a Jedi character you want to build. There are Jedi and Jedi. Some will be stern and stoic, like Mace Windu. Others will be a bit more light-hearted and "down to earth" like Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan, maybe even Luke. There will be some who will be brazen and slightly arrogant like Ahsoka Tano. And finally, there will be Jedi like Anakin who won't abide the Jedi Code if it violates their personal ideals and values. All of those types - and everything in between - will react differently when it comes to the upholding of the Code.

Going to a bar won't be unreasonable, I believe, but from a roleplaying perspective a quiet meditation sequence is more plausible. Flirting with the dancers... not strictly forbidden, but it would be very strange and out of character for a Jedi - even for the unortodox ones. Remember, the Jedi are not very big on their social skills. They are monks, really. With spaceships and lazer swords, sure, but monks nonetheless. Flirting and partying are more up the Smuggler and the Bounty Hunter's alley (and maybe the Agent too, but it will most likely be a charade designed to extract information or to secure a false identity in an undercover mission or something).

Hyfy
05.05.2012 , 09:15 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by alricka View Post
The whole thing really depends on what kind of a Jedi character you want to build. There are Jedi and Jedi. Some will be stern and stoic, like Mace Windu. Others will be a bit more light-hearted and "down to earth" like Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan, maybe even Luke. There will be some who will be brazen and slightly arrogant like Ahsoka Tano. And finally, there will be Jedi like Anakin who won't abide the Jedi Code if it violates their personal ideals and values. All of those types - and everything in between - will react differently when it comes to the upholding of the Code.

Going to a bar won't be unreasonable, I believe, but from a roleplaying perspective a quiet meditation sequence is more plausible. Flirting with the dancers... not strictly forbidden, but it would be very strange and out of character for a Jedi - even for the unortodox ones. Remember, the Jedi are not very big on their social skills. They are monks, really. With spaceships and lazer swords, sure, but monks nonetheless. Flirting and partying are more up the Smuggler and the Bounty Hunter's alley (and maybe the Agent too, but it will most likely be a charade designed to extract information or to secure a false identity in an undercover mission or something).
To that end too you could look at (talking about the Pub side specifically here) the Shadow. They tend to demarcate from the traditional roles and rules and flirt with the edges of the DS. SO there is room to allow for one who might at the very least come across as less then dedicated to the Jedi code.

oscardeleon
05.05.2012 , 09:35 AM | #10
I would think the "Flirt" option can be part of your character and how much you use it depends on the way you choose to play it. I do agree that the Jedi are very monk-like, especially the Consulars; but they are all still "knights".

I chose to play my consular very "neutral" (or sterile, or whatever). I chose not to toss the Flirt option around and only saved it until the end, with Nadia, where I played that particular storyline up.

Anakin (or Vader) had children; Luke had children, as did Leia (haven't read any of the books, but I believe they did). So Jedi did marry, have children..there had to be a way to create more generations of force sensitives other than spontaneous manifestation from muggle-born kids...oh, wait.

In any case, my two-cents worth
[Something about duct tape and the Force here]